? regaurding red/clear tails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? regaurding red/clear tails

Background info: There are 3 parts to the tail light assembly which can be seen in the picture below. The top part is the housing for the tails. The middle pieces are the light diffusers. The bottom part (of which only the amber is visible) is the hard outer plastic part of the tails. This bottom hard plastic part is what I'm interested in.

Question: Is the hard outer part on the red/clear tails actually clear, or is there some sort of transparent treatment (paint or otherwise) to the plastic?

Red/clear tails (just for reference)

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Originally posted by yeamans17
    its actually clear, or you could try to bleach the amber piece and see how it turns out
    Thanks for the info. That's actually kind of what I was thinking of doing. In another thread someone mentioned that you could use oven cleaner to remove the paint from the tail lights. Because I have a wagon, there are no aftermarket lights that will easily fit the car, so I have to DIY it. Now that I know that the plastic is clear, it goes to reason that anyone could make their own red/clears pretty cheaply. I'll be thinking more about this as summer goes along and if I do it, I'll get a DIY up.

Comment

91-93 wagon tails prob have solid amber plastic. i drilled tiny holes to release water from my 93 tails and the shavings were all amber no clear. i really think you coulduse the existing middle tail assembly from your wagon and take the lense off 90-91 red clears and use the outside tails and retro fit the middle red clear lenses onto your housing. threre is a neon green wagon driving around my town with red clears.
      hey. my cb7 has morphed. haha.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7rolln
        91-93 wagon tails prob have solid amber plastic. i drilled tiny holes to release water from my 93 tails and the shavings were all amber no clear. i really think you coulduse the existing middle tail assembly from your wagon and take the lense off 90-91 red clears and use the outside tails and retro fit the middle red clear lenses onto your housing. threre is a neon green wagon driving around my town with red clears.
        The only way to fit tails on a wagon from a sedan or coupe, is by doing lots of body work.

I am currently working on some red/clears for the wagon.

I haven't got it down yet, but we shall see...

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
        JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

oem tails are made of solid amber plastic. the red part has an embedded red coating on the outside.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
            oem tails are made of solid amber plastic. the red part has an embedded red coating on the outside.
            Dam that sucks!

Comment

keep us posted dj. i wanna find the neon green wag again and look at the tails, i saw it parked on campus but i had to go to class.
              hey. my cb7 has morphed. haha.

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                Alright, so if I where to try the oven cleaner method (or bleach or whatever) it would be unable to remove all of the color, since it's colored all the way through. Damn now what

Comment

tint it red with stained glass paint

Originally posted by kc8enb07
                  does it come w/ jdm trash? they better throw away gold in it

Comment

Originally posted by Cb7GHOST
                    tint it red with stained glass paint
                    So it seems. At least it will match my sig