Fuel Cutoff Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Cutoff Switch

alright. My car was broken into, luckily all that was stolen was my mag-light, $6, and some change.

I don't want my car to get stolen, so i'm installing a fuel pump cutoff switch. I'm getting ready to install the switch, I have the switch and all, but I'm wondering where to find the wire? I was looking in the Haynes, and it says that the fuel pump wire is yellow coming out of the main relay. Looking in the huge hunk of wires that runs from under the dash along side the driver side door, I didn't see any plain yellow wires. I figured that'd be the easiest place for me to splice from, if that's the way the wire runs.

Anyone ever run a fuel pump cutoff switch? I can't find this damn wire!!!
    --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

never heard of a fuel cutoff switch it sounds like a good idea... goddamn theifs i hate em

Comment

an easier idea would be to run a switch for the ignition..just mount it under the steering column....a thief would never see it...
      and even if the jimmied the ignition, it still wouldnt work...

Comment

an ignition switch is too common though. It's located where a lot of alarms wire into. Someone who steals cars would clearly know to look for wires coming out of the ignition, and it'd be easy to realize what was done when he tried to turn the car over.

a fuel pump cutoff will let the car function like normal, even get the starter spinning, but it just won't turn over. It's not like jimmying the ignition would work with a fuel cutoff switch. The theif thinks the car is dead, and leaves.

Also, with an ignition cutoff, that doesn't protect against hot-wiring.
        --JDM F22A--

Comment

Originally posted by dwf137
          an ignition switch is too common though. It's located where a lot of alarms wire into. Someone who steals cars would clearly know to look for wires coming out of the ignition, and it'd be easy to realize what was done when he tried to turn the car over.

a fuel pump cutoff will let the car function like normal, even get the starter spinning, but it just won't turn over. It's not like jimmying the ignition would work with a fuel cutoff switch. The theif thinks the car is dead, and leaves.

Also, with an ignition cutoff, that doesn't protect against hot-wiring.
          true that...but, IMO, beings that you dont know how to do what would work best...i think it would be better to have something, than nothing at all.......

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
            true that...but, IMO, beings that you dont know how to do what would work best...i think it would be better to have something, than nothing at all.......
            What I want to do, I know how to do, I just can't find a convieniently located wire. I can use the wire coming dirrectly out of the main pgmfi relay, but that's all the way up under the dash. I don't want to install anything like this under the dash, it'll be too easy for a thief to figure out what I did.

I could also go to the trouble of getting to the fuel tank and taking the wire dirrectly from there, but that's a lot of work.

But since the main pgmfi relay is located under the dash, and the fuel pump is located in the fuel tank, somehow that wire needs to run all the way to the back of the car. I know there's a mess of wires next to the driver seat, but it's not there. I just need to know where it's ran.
            --JDM F22A--

Comment

What I want to do, I know how to do, I just can't find a convieniently located wire. I can use the wire coming dirrectly out of the main pgmfi relay, but that's all the way up under the dash. I don't want to install anything like this under the dash, it'll be too easy for a thief to figure out what I did.

I could also go to the trouble of getting to the fuel tank and taking the wire dirrectly from there, but that's a lot of work.

But since the main pgmfi relay is located under the dash, and the fuel pump is located in the fuel tank, somehow that wire needs to run all the way to the back of the car. I know there's a mess of wires next to the driver seat, but it's not there. I just need to know where it's ran.
              my point exactly..until you find that wire, you arent any better off than someone who has an interrupter on his ignition......

Comment

They way I have mine set up is, i tapped into the wire off the fuel pump, its not that hard to get to. Actually my dad did it when we first got the car (1992, its a 1990 and it became mine in 2003). When i was wiring my system in the car i saw the wire that he ran, all he did was cut the wire, ran a switch (anywhere you want) and then connect the switch to the other piece of the wire that you cut. I had to take out the switch because it defeated the point of my remote start-up alarm because you have to manually flip the switch.

Comment

I understand how a damn fuel pump cutoff switch works. All i need to know is how that wire is run from the dash back to the fuel pump.

screw it. very few people on this site actually help. I'll figure it out myself.
                  --JDM F22A--

Comment

I understand how a damn fuel pump cutoff switch works. All i need to know is how that wire is run from the dash back to the fuel pump.

screw it. very few people on this site actually help. I'll figure it out myself.
                    for you cutthroat i have the answer. LOL. Take your back seat out (the bottom portion). There youll find 3 wires. The thicker one of the 3 is the CONSTANT ON... it might be yellow or green.... i ferget... BUT... tapp into that bad boy and hide the hell outta that motha fuckin switch. See im of help huh? Daym i feel special now. Trust me its tha one. My homie demonstrated it on his DA. Holla if you need my help. Im here for you cuddie dont tripp. LOL.

I am no longer using this forum name.
                    You can find me as
                    jdm_inspired...
                    I'm starting all over again since I got another CB.

NOC OUT!!!

Comment

hahahaha... alright, thanks. I'm gona do that and try and trace the wire back up throught the cabin. I got the switch all mounted and everything already, I need to find something somewhat close to the front two seats, either that or i'll have to go buy some thicker wire, no need to have a fuel pump not gettin enough juice.
                      --JDM F22A--

Comment

you are a whiny little bitch...if you dont know..go find out how..dont come whining to us if you say that you think it might be under the seat, but then your ass is too fuckin lazy to go see if you can find out how to do it..this site doesnt help those who dont try to help themselves...

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
                          you are a whiny little bitch...if you dont know..go find out how..dont come whining to us if you say that you think it might be under the seat, but then your ass is too fuckin lazy to go see if you can find out how to do it..this site doesnt help those who dont try to help themselves...
                          I've done more diy projects to my car then you could ever imagine, and probably know a good deal more about our cars then you do. I don't feel like ripping my seats out of my car to find out that the wire was run somewhere simple. I was asking a simple question, how a wire was run. I didn't need to get a lecture on how you think I should run my own safety switch. You are the type of people who give this website a bad name. There's a relativly small percentage of you who actually give good information when its needed, instead of just chiming in with your $.02 and thinking you own the world.

and fyi, the switch has been run, and works wonderfully.
                          Last edited by aero; 12-26-2005, 11:32 PM.
                          --JDM F22A--

Comment

I've done more diy projects to my car then you could ever imagine, and probably know a good deal more about our cars then you do. I don't feel like ripping my seats out of my car to find out that the wire was run somewhere simple. I was asking a simple question, how a wire was run. I didn't need to get a lecture on how you think I should run my own safety switch. You are the type of people who give this website a bad name. There's a relativly small percentage of you who actually give good information when its needed, instead of just chiming in with your $.02 and thinking you own the world.

and fyi, the switch has been run, and works wonderfully.
                            as opposed to lazy people who want the answer just spoon fed to them...the ones who wont get out there and do it themselves...it doesnt take any time at all to take out ur back seat if you know what ur doing...
                            Last edited by aero; 12-26-2005, 11:32 PM.

Comment

fuel pump wire is yellow and black.
                              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                              X