Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Port matching / porting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port matching / porting?

What is the difference?

Is port matching - where the head outlets are enlarged to the header port diameter, and the porting continues about halfway back into the ports?

And is porting where the ports are enlarged right up to the valves?

I have just started doing some, from what I can gather "port matching"?
    Also, what (if any) results do you think I will expect to see from enlarging the ports out to the blue lines in pics below (I've already done #4 exhaust port)

Application: F22A1 with 16G turbo, Also on the look out for an H23 intake manifold to go with this head and Bisi's turbo cam.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

I'm pretty sure port matching is just making sure both openings are the same size. like if you had a 70mm throttle body, and a 65mm intake manifold, you would want to port the intake mani out to 70mm, so it matches the throttle body
    Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
    Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
    Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
    Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

exactly...however for header port matching, apparently you'd want it stepped because of the sound waves being produced and will flow back into the head. with it being stepped, it will somewhat block the waves from entering the head and these waves could possibly mess with airflow.

just a theory i heard.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Most people keep about an 1/8th of an inch step from the ports to the header/manifold, it helps prevent reversion of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber. This can happen with a cam that has a lot of overlap.

Like mentioned above, when you're port matching a throttle body to an IM, you're matching the diameter of the two pieces, but when you're port matching the exhaust ports on a head, you're just matching them to each other so that they are all similar and therefore flow a similar amount.

I'm getting ready to do my own DIY port/polish. I bought the Standard Abrasives deluxe porting kit. PM me if you need any tips or advise.

-Kyle
        SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
        -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

Is 1/8" really necessary? Will it make a noticeable difference, between having a step and not having a step?
          Basically so far I have enlarged the port openings up to the size of the exhaust header, and shaped about halfway back into the port to keep the flow as smooth as possible.
          I was under the impression that the exhaust ports are best to be a smooth finish, and the intake ports slighty rough to aid turbulance? Does that sound right?

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

not only turburlence but the pockets get filled in with the air and then the air creates a layer that the rest of the free flowing air rides on top of. virtually 0 percent friction.
            I <3 G60.

Comment

Hmm thats interesting to know, Thanks

Btw, I'll get some more detailed pics up tommorow

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

I plan on cleaning up the casting marks on the sides of the ports and also the centre divider, But I dont think I will go into any more detail, other than the portmatching.
                Anyone with experience - Does the bottom pic look OK?

OEM Exhaust Port:

Afterwards:

Port Finishing:

Last edited by evil_demon_01; 04-16-2008, 02:17 AM.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

bad angle, you want to point it at the finish...furthur down the port you didnt touch so the afterwards pic is redundent.

cleaning up the casting is pretty straight foward. it is when you really get into porting that there's a total science in it...air flow, injectors, squish area, distance from squish to back of intake valve, the finish of the divider for 4 valve/cylinder, blah, blah, blah...
                  I <3 G60.

Comment

Thanks for the help
                    Finishing pic added above

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

oh, thats pretty nice. try getting some fine grit and hand sanding it the direction of how the air would flow now. so perpendicular of the sanding marks as of right now.
                      I <3 G60.

Comment

Just going to go do that now, and I'll clean up the rest of the port in the weekend
                        Appreciate the help

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Working...
                        X