Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Falls out of 3rd gear?!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falls out of 3rd gear?!!

okay i will be just cruzin along and it only happends in left hand turns if im in 3rd gear it will just pop into nuetral?? almost everytime what coild it be and how could i fix this? its a 5 speed obviously lol. thanks...

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=91030 <--MY RIDE!
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=140230 <--MY ongoing ENGINE BUILD!..

the synchro is worn 90% of the time the other 10% is a bent shift fork, either way the tranny has to come out and be dissasembled.
    1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
    newer race video,older race videos
    1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
    1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Comment

or it could be the clutch, right before my clutch went out it kept poping out of 5th

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
      1992 Accord EX Coupe
      My FS Thread
      Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

clutch or dog teeth. later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

well the clutch is farly new a few months, but the fuckin tranny grinds 1st-2nd-3rd so i think its time to find an h23 tranny.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=140230 <--MY ongoing ENGINE BUILD!..

Comment

Originally posted by motobmx105 View Post
            well the clutch is farly new a few months, but the fuckin tranny grinds 1st-2nd-3rd so i think its time to find an h23 tranny.
            well if you put it that way yea its the syncros

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
            1992 Accord EX Coupe
            My FS Thread
            Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
            Originally posted by deevergote
            Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

they have this problem on the new civic sis (not the 09s and late 08s).....it either doesnt go into third or it pops outta third

It was a huge problem for all the si drivers....turned out it was a bad 3rd gear syncro.....not that this helps you at all since my transmission will get fixed for free if it fucks up lol

Originally posted by KingMarineM16a4 from 8thcivic.com
              I am noticing that third gear popping threads are being made faster than rabbits make a new generations so here it goes...

Popping or grinding can be caused by...

* A bad/worn synchronizer
              * A bad/worn shift rail
              * A bad/worn ball assembly that connects to the shift rail(the clicking sound you here when you shift while standing still, 1st to 2nd click, click)
              * A misaligned shift boot but that is VERY rare

Hard shifting can be caused by...

* Low transmission fluid
              * Thicker than specification transmission fluid
              * A misaligned shift boot, but again VERY rare

What does this tell you? It is to my belief(have yet to crack open a FG2/FA5 transmission but will soon) that Honda may have made either...
              A. Poorly made the second shift rail
              B. Poorly made the third gear synchronizer.

How can you tell this? Change out your transmission fluid.
              How? There is a drain and a fill plug on your transmission. Put a bucket under your drain plug/bolt and take out the drain bolt/plug and allow all of the transmission fluid drain into the bucket(will drain faster if the fill plug/bolt is off too). Put the drain bolt/plug back in and fill the transmission fluid through the fill plug/bolt. Simple.

See if there is a film of shiny almost gold like stuff floating on the surface of the transmission fluid you have just emptied. Why? Synchronizers are made of brass and is the only thing that is brass in the transmission therefore if you see a good amount of brassy film in the transmission fluid than the synchronizer is worn a good amount.

If not than it is the shift rail and/or ball assembly that is worn allowing the shift rail, allowing the shift fork, allowing the gear to pop out.

The picture below is a shift rail, there is a ball that pops out of one rivit on the far left and pops into the next one over and so fourth. If the rail is worn down or if the spring that holds the ball down gets weak it can easily pop out of gear. See how the old shift rail in the first picture is worn down compared to the new one...

Pictures of synchronizers(blocking rings, same thing)...

Pretty huh? The purpose of a blocking ring is to allow the gear to shift smoothly. Making the gear be engaged with a > into a < type motion instead of a ] into a [ type motion. So if the blocking ring is worn than it will be a > into a [ which will cause resistance and noise. As you can kind of see in the first picture...

Switching transmission fluids(synthetic fluids) or even using engine oil such as 10w30(lighter and/or synthetic) will help your problem temporarily. However it is a "band-aid fix" type thing especially if it is your synchronizers that are bad.

TLDR(Too Long, Didn't Read): If you are the person that sits at a stoplight shifting your car through gears, stop. Also, stop resting your hand on the shifter, it will cause the gear to slowly pull on the synchronizer causing it to wear much faster...

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

I think hes missing a few pictures....cuz i reposted it exactly as he has it shown and it seems hes talking about a picture that doesnt seem to be there
                Last edited by King James; 01-16-2009, 05:17 PM.

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

yeah my tranny is effed it did it again today on my way home from work and i live less then 5 mins away... damn it i need tires, a tranny, an alignment, have to make a ref appointment pull off my megan racing header put the stock on, swap out my intakes and find out why it wont pass the low idle emissions!! EFF ME! what a crappy week.

thanks guys!!
                  CB7TUN3R FTW!! lol

Comment

There is also a metal ring called the synchro spring clip around the blocking ring on the honda transmissions. Thats what went out on me (broke in two) now the hub, synchro and gear all need to be replaced. To make matters worse honda discontinued the m2s4 fourth gear.
                    1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
                    newer race video,older race videos
                    1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
                    1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Comment

Check to maek sure you got enough oil at first top it off a little bit. Then if that dont help send it to someone you know that can actually rebuild it. Or you can send it to gearspeedinc.com. Their work is incredable I highly recommend them.

Comment

yeah i was thinkin about a rebuild but arent they hellsa spendy?? lol

Comment

Working...
                        X