Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Frankenstein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankenstein

Anyone have an idea of if its possible for me to do a frankenstein with a dohc f20a head onto my f22a6 block? Or ideas on what I would have to do to make a dohc head take the place of a single cam head? Or mods ide have to deal with.?

My New Ride
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=82630

Don't know much about that but I believe it's doable, you would basically end up w/ an F22B DOHC but w/ slightly less compression. Both F22B DOHC and F20A DOHC heads are PT2 castings.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I dont think its been done very much. Im thinking im just gonna swap the whole engine. get rid of the f22a6.

My New Ride

Comment

It would be a straight up head swap. Nothing to block, nothing to worry about. Buy a new hg and slap the f20a head on. done.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Really? Yhats cool. But wouldn't I have to get a new belt since it would then be a dual cam instead of single came? would I get high compression or gain low compression? And also do you guys know if I would gain whp or torque from doing the swap¿

My New Ride

Comment

You'll gain some power and torque, but not too much. Your compression will remain the same(8.8:1).

Use the timing belt that the F20A uses, or f22b or maybe h23. Look it up in my f22b swap guide.

Comment

Thanks d112. Ille look that up. I've always wondered about compression though. What do those numbers actual mean? Like the 8.8:1 what does each number mean?

My New Ride

Comment

that means: maximum cylinder volume/ minimum cylinder volume. higher is more efficient and more likely to preignition.
                spin city

Comment

you need more than a head gasket!
                  h23 or h22 distributer depending what coil you have
                  h23 crank timing pulley and backing plate
                  h23 or gsr timing belt
                  p39 ecu or p14 would work, hell even your stock ecu will work too but best performance go chipped ecu

Comment

in my opinion....not worth it. any non vtec dohc head swap is not worth the time or money unless you go boost or do a 100 shot of nitrous. 110 is what a f22 with mods will put down on a dyno. 120 is what youll put down with the h23 head and f22 block. 10hp wasnt worth the timing belt headache, or filling in part of the head, or buying the f23 head gasket,and h23 timing crank. ive done it and to me it was a waste of time. i would only do it if you had the parts layin around, which i did and thats the only reason i did it. and thats prob why i added a 75 shot of nitrous. i took gsr swapped civics on nitrous with the h23/f22 but nothing that impressive. but thats just me. thats why i just went with the h22.

Comment

This isn't much of a head swap. It's pretty much an F22B, which is a stock motor from Honda. F22A block with F22B head, using an F22A head gasket. There is seriously not much frankensteining here. Just get the f20 crank gear and you're set.

Comment

Well i actually do have plans for either nitrous or boost. I was hoping I would gain lower compression so I would be set for boost. I wouldn't need an ecu since I have a chippedpt2. I also wouldn't need the distributor or shouldn't since the f20a already has it and I would need the head gasket for sure and most likely the timing belt if the f20a timing belt wouldn't swap over. This head swap is seeming to be pointless and I'm thinking about just doing the complete engine swap. I just wanted to see what your guys thoughts would be. Thanks for the help.

My New Ride

Comment

You will lose power doing this, and you will make less power than an f22b dohc.

The dohc head does not flow as well as the sohc head, and you end up with lower compression than the f22b dohc as well, so you dont gain the benefits it provides. THe low cr is good for boost however, and a dohc head looks nice in there, but as stated, it is not really worth it IMO.
                          2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
                          2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

so the F22A head flows better than most. What could be the possible gains from building an F22A head fully and slapping it on an H22 block to get the extra rpm range?

The block is meant to turn faster so you get higher RPM's and the head with good springs and such, should be able to keep up and make power.

Comment

Alright. So I won't do the head swap. But what engine would be better for my plans on boosting? The f22a6, the sohc f20a complete head and block with an f22 tranny, or the dohc f20b?

My New Ride

Comment

Working...
                              X