Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

catch can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

catch can

how do you install an oil catch can?

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
    And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
    Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Straight from google:

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

so id hook it up where id hook up a breather filter?

Comment

From where the oem pcv is located yes.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

vc--->pvc valve--->oil catch can--->intake manifold

or...keep the pvc valve always clean of oil and do this...

vc--->oil catch can--->pvc valve--->intake manifold

Search on the forum...there are some good fyi's

OR...what I did...cause I'm cheap and lazy.

vc--->little filter from autozone

intake tubing--->pvc valve (plugged into intake tubing)--->intake manifold

course the latter results in a dirty little filter...but either way...I retain a ventilated crank case, and no oil in my intake.
          ____

Comment

Search results I found:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=oil+catch

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=catch

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=catch

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

One of my classic favs..so cheap and easy... like me?

I think hondafan81 has a very nice one he did.
              ____

Comment

You really don't need a can.

As long as the crank case is vented somehow, its all good.

I personally don't like using the intake manifold as a vacuum source becuase those fumes it's pulling back into the intake contaminates the combustion. It lowers octane, quite a bit. This causes less power and/or detonation if you're pushing enough power. The stock pcv system also lets oil get sucked back into the intake, which is just as harmful as the vapor.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                  You really don't need a can.

As long as the crank case is vented somehow, its all good.

I personally don't like using the intake manifold as a vacuum source becuase those fumes it's pulling back into the intake contaminates the combustion. It lowers octane, quite a bit. This causes less power and/or detonation if you're pushing enough power. The stock pcv system also lets oil get sucked back into the intake, which is just as harmful as the vapor.
                  Which is why my pvc goes from intake mani to intake tubing...two small cone shaped filters on the vc...guess I could just block off the pvc's port on the mani instead.

Do you NEED a vaccum source for crank venting? What about for boost apps, what's the best way to vent the system?
                  ____

Comment

There are 2 best ways to vent the system on a boosted setup, 1 being a lot more expensive than the other.

The first way is by using a vacuum pump. Just route lines to the valve cover and you'll be good.

The 2nd way is buy running lines off the valve cover, to a vented catch can, then run 1 line to a pcv valve slash cut into the exhaust. This will pull vacuum at ALL times, especially under boost.

Or do what most people do, just run 2 big hoses from the valve cover to a BIG vented catch can. Then run a drain line to the back of the block.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

I have have gained knowledge...awesome sir
                      ____

Comment

would an N/A car have any gain over a breather filter with a catch can?

Comment

Originally posted by J3wman View Post
                          would an N/A car have any gain over a breather filter with a catch can?
                          As said by D112crzy - "It contaminates the combustion. It lowers octane, quite a bit. This causes less power and/or detonation if you're pushing enough power"

Also another note to remember - the catch can tubing should be on a downwards slope all the time.
                          If they go down then back up, the oil will accumulate in the lowest part I.E the catch can should be the lowest part in the whole system.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Working...
                          X