Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

New Cat...Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
    you're talking about those high flow "test pipes" usually found on ebay, which gives off the raspy sound. a genuine high flow cat such as random tech, catco, etc.. serve their puroposes in emissions and performance, w/o that annoying buzz.
    No, I'm talking about those "high-flow" cats that are a straight-through design (even my OEM cat was a straight-through, but the OEM muffler was baffled, which cut down on noise)...in order to get rid of the "rasp" you MUST used something baffled in the exhaust chain, whether it be a cat (not too sure if any cats are baffled), resonator or muffler...end of story. This is what I've experienced with my particular exhaust build...can you say the same?
    Last edited by WeDgE; 12-13-2004, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeDgE
      No, I'm talking about those "high-flow" cats that are a straight-through design (even my OEM cat was a straight-through, but the OEM muffler was baffled, which cut down on noise)...in order to get rid of the "rasp" you MUST used something baffled in the exhaust chain, whether it be a cat (not too sure if any cats are baffled), resonator or muffler...end of story. This is what I've experienced with my particular exhaust build...can you say the same?
      i've been running with a random tech high flow cat, and an apexi ws1..definetely no raspy sounds. but true about having some type of baffle. thats why most exhaust systems such as greddy, apexi, tanabe all have resonators to minimize the "raspy" tone.
      5.6L V8 32V DOHC
      JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
        i've been running with a random tech high flow cat, and an apexi ws1..definetely no raspy sounds. but true about having some type of baffle. thats why most exhaust systems such as greddy, apexi, tanabe all have resonators to minimize the "raspy" tone.
        Exactly, your Apexi has a baffle which takes away the "raspy" sound...your cat doesn't do this UNLESS it has a baffle...straight-through designs DO NOT cut down on the raspy tone AT ALL.

Comment

you dont need a louvered resonator to get rid of the raspy noise. i have a straightpipe exhaust and all i have to do is throw on my carsound cat and the noise is gone.

the fact that primo has a ws, doesnt mean anything, its all in the cat. i had a ws1 and when i ran without a cat i got some raspiness. put a cat on, and it was gone. when we're talking about highflow cat, we mean a REAL highflow cat, not that ebay straightpipe shit.

btw, good choice with the magnaflow/carsound
          Last edited by DrLove'sKuDang; 12-13-2004, 07:11 PM.

Comment

where did you guys get your random tech cats at?

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang
              you dont need a louvered resonator to get rid of the raspy noise. i have a straightpipe exhaust and all i have to do is throw on my carsound cat and the noise is gone.

the fact that primo has a ws, doesnt mean anything, its all in the cat. i had a ws1 and when i ran without a cat i got some raspiness. put a cat on, and it was gone. when we're talking about highflow cat, we mean a REAL highflow cat, not that ebay straightpipe shit.

Is your cat a straight-through design or does it have a baffle? Can you look in one end and see completely out the other side?

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang

This guy knows exactly what Im talking about

WeDgE: The ApexI WS has an resonator already, just take our word for it that it is the cat that is making the annoying raspy sound. ATX, DrLove, Primo, and others has all previsously stated that removing the cat for a "straight pipe" type deal will make the exhaust alot raspier, install a cat and the raspy sound is gone.

Back on topic...my new cat should be here in 7-10 days, I cant wait.

Jay
                Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

Comment

this is what my cat looks like...

just like a stock cat, but the honeycomb isnt as restrictive, hence "highflow"

a so-called straight-thru cat, isnt a cat at all. its just another smaller resonator that takes the place of a cat. which does nothing but slow flow a bit and make the exhaust note a tad deeper... but it will not get rid of raspiness.

like so^

Comment

Originally posted by akkordlayinkit
                    WeDgE: The ApexI WS has an resonator already, just take our word for it that it is the cat that is making the annoying raspy sound. ATX, DrLove, Primo, and others has all previsously stated that removing the cat for a "straight pipe" type deal will make the exhaust alot raspier, install a cat and the raspy sound is gone.
                    The cat doesn't "make" the raspy sound at all...LMAO!! It's the engine that produces the sound in the first place...

Sure, if the cat has a baffle inside of it then it will get rid of of the rasp, but if it is a straight-through design then it will do nothing to change the raspy sound...that's the point I'm trying to make.

Ohhh, but I don't know anything, I just built my exhaust with my own two hands while you bought a pre-fabbed one...I'll leave it to you, the apparent "expert"...
                    Last edited by WeDgE; 12-14-2004, 02:48 AM.

Comment

In reply to DrLove'sKuDang's above post:

Yes, that's what I'm trying to get across...thank you.

Comment

there was just a misunderstanding from the beginning. when you talked about a baffled cat, i was thinking of the perforated cores or the ones with louvers inside. ive always refered to the "real" cats internals as a honeycomb, or something to that affect... ive never heard anyone consider it a baffle.
                        Last edited by DrLove'sKuDang; 12-14-2004, 02:49 AM.

Comment

From the beginning I was speaking about resonators, not cats...

This is what I am talking about when I say baffled resonator and this WILL get rid of raspiness.

Comment

Also, above when I was speaking of "high flow cats" I thought you guys meant the eBay style that is straight-through. I've never dealt with cats, so I wouldn't know much about them... I decided to go the cheaper route of installing a baffled resonator.

Comment

well that drawing you made, isnt that just a muffler? thats how some of the magnaflow's and shit like that are constructed.

a resonator is the second pic i posted... which would be one with a perforated core. they also have louvered resonators like this..

Comment

Nope, it looks just like the one you posted on the outside, but the inside is much different as shown in my picture.

Comment

Working...
                                X