Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Lower Temp Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^I paid $72 shipped for the t-stat (eBay) and $54.50 for the fan switch (King). It's a really nice setup, I like it alot. And during the winter, which is now pretty much, the t-stat is closed at all times unless the car idles for a long time, pretty much the same thing as my Beck Arnley 170* one.

Comment

Any before and after MPG numbers?
      I'd especially like to see the difference in MPG (and HP/TQ) from stock ECU to dyno tuned. I don't think you'd be burning much more fuel, at least not as much as some people make it out to be. Not sure of any numbers though.
      I'd stay stock myself for my DD, might be a fun thing to try (especially if I could also dyno tune to see what improvements could be had) on a second car.

I'll take a stab at some pros/cons:
      I don't see how this would cause fuel to be unburnt. The fuel should be fully burned regardless of engine temp unless something is wrong with it. Since the cat. should be functioning before the coolant temp gets anywhere near that high, I don't think it'd do much to the cat either.

The lower temps will mean a slightly lower viscosity for the oil, also longer run times needed to evaporate any moisture from the oil and exhaust.
      Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7
        ^I paid $72 shipped for the t-stat (eBay) and $54.50 for the fan switch (King). It's a really nice setup, I like it alot. And during the winter, which is now pretty much, the t-stat is closed at all times unless the car idles for a long time, pretty much the same thing as my Beck Arnley 170* one.
        Thats actually not bad I was expecting it to be a lil more.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

wow... an on topic, pertinent thread revival...

good schtuff.

RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Originally posted by Otto
            Any before and after MPG numbers?
            I'd especially like to see the difference in MPG (and HP/TQ) from stock ECU to dyno tuned. I don't think you'd be burning much more fuel, at least not as much as some people make it out to be. Not sure of any numbers though.
            I'd stay stock myself for my DD, might be a fun thing to try (especially if I could also dyno tune to see what improvements could be had) on a second car.

I'll take a stab at some pros/cons:
            I don't see how this would cause fuel to be unburnt. The fuel should be fully burned regardless of engine temp unless something is wrong with it. Since the cat. should be functioning before the coolant temp gets anywhere near that high, I don't think it'd do much to the cat either.

The lower temps will mean a slightly lower viscosity for the oil, also longer run times needed to evaporate any moisture from the oil and exhaust.
            Before I post, that part # for the Mugen T-stat that I posted will work on an F22aX or similar motor, if it's for an H22 for example, use the Prelude one b/c of its larger t-stat.

I did not see a decline in MPG at all. I recently got 475 to a tank that was mostly highway which I don't usually do, and it was in the cold weather, and the t-stat was closed most of the time. In the summer, no decline at all.

The only reason why I wanted the t-stat and fan switch is to have the car run alot cooler during the summer, I felt my CB ran alittle hot (but fine by Honda's standards). During 90*+ days, you could just tell how much the motor hated it, very sluggish. As opposed to when it's below 50* the motor is much happier. Also, valve seals are a common problem along w/ misc oil leaks, and a hotter engine will accelerate those issues IMO esp. the valve seals. It's not so much a DD or racecar thing, I would highly recommend this on a DD even, it's not that extreme at all.

I would tend to agree w/ your thoughts on this, and this has always been debated, but having the motor running alittle cooler during the summer is not a bad thing at all.

Comment

Working...
            X