Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

F20A Inside F22A4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F20A Inside F22A4?

Im buying a real nice low mile F20a and for smog purposes i need to place the internals in my old F22a4. The crank bearings are the same right? Either that or i want to put the higher compression pistons in the F22 for a rebuild since they are the same bore.
    Your man for wiring solutions!
    CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
    CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

How is this for smog purposes?

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Man View Post
      Im buying a real nice low mile F20a and for smog purposes i need to place the internals in my old F22a4. The crank bearings are the same right? Either that or i want to put the higher compression pistons in the F22 for a rebuild since they are the same bore.
      If you are refering to the Soch F20a then the big end bearings are not the same as F22a.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Well I went nitty gritty and the engine blocks and bearings are identical.

If you wonder why I said its for smog, is that an F20A is not visually smog legal in California. However an F22A4 is visually smog legal and should get better gas mileage and emissions with higher compression.
        CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap

Comment

i honestly dont think you check for block identification during a smog check. hell you could probabl have a f22b1 vtec and just shave the valve cover and the smog tech wouldnt notice. at least i wouldnt notice, lol.

Anyways...Everything will swap right in, make sure your a4 bores arent too big otherwise you WILL need a oversize piston.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Put a bunch of grease and dirt over everything. cant see the code for shizz
            wat?

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Man View Post
              Well I went nitty gritty and the engine blocks and bearings are identical.
              As in you Physically checked them with a micrometer?

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              Anyways...Everything will swap right in
              For which engine? F20 dohc or F20 sohc.
              Oh and does that account for the shorter F20 rods?
              Last edited by evil_demon_01; 09-30-2010, 04:50 AM.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Isn't it basically just a destroked F22 with higher comp? In which case couldn't you run the F20 crank with the longer F22 rods and the higher comp pistons to get a really high reving engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                  Isn't it basically just a destroked F22 with higher comp? In which case couldn't you run the F20 crank with the longer F22 rods and the higher comp pistons to get a really high reving engine?
                  Umm F20 crank with short F22 rods with high compression pistons would give a rev monster but the F20 pistons already stick out the block. so a longer rod would be bad.

Its a sohc f20
                  CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap

Comment

runt he f20 rod and f20 crank. otherwise you'll have issues with deck clearance.

like my project with running a h22 piston with f22 rods, im going to end up with the piston .040 out of the hole.
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                      runt he f20 rod and f20 crank. otherwise you'll have issues with deck clearance.

like my project with running a h22 piston with f22 rods, im going to end up with the piston .040 out of the hole.
                      The f20 assembly already has the pistons poking out lol
                      I have access to an f20c block....can i use anything?
                      CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap

Comment

paper weight
                        I <3 G60.

Comment

All done
                          F20a inside a F22A1 block
                          Amazing, the engine block had 280,000 miles and the bore at its largest point was .002 out of spec.
                          Pistons were the same AABA
                          All rods bearins were within specs 1.2~1.5
                          Main bearings were mostly the same asside from 1 being smaller. But it was wore in to specs. These bothered me because they were getting close to outside specs 1.8~2.1

Talked to a rebuilder and he likes to run 2.5 on mains. Owell

CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap

Comment

Wow a year later and results are in

Looking clean bro congrats on your successful build

Originally posted by deevergote
                            .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

F20a rods aren't shorter...they are longer. Deck height is the same between engines and the f20a has a shorter stroke. You have to make that up with a longer rod. This engine has a 1.65:1 rod/stroke ratio.
                              There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X