Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Resonator choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resonator choices

I'm getting ready to do my exhaust, I've found a supplier for 2.25 mandrel pipe my next concerns is a resonator. I do not want a raspy ricer exhaust tone. I know it will be louder than stock and of course depending on what muffler I choose and that's fine.
    I've heard both good and bad about magnaflow resonators, I have also heard of Vibrant performance but have no experience with their products. Vibrant offers their ultra quiet resonator or a bottle style resonator.
    I was wondering what other members are using and any experience with Magnaflow and vibrant products and any other manufacturers of a quality product.
    Thanks and Be Well.

I just got a Vibrant ultra quiet.... not done yet but will be done in about a week.

Get that ultra quiet one or the 18" resonator one.
    Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

Do 2 1/2 pipe to a cherry bomb glass pack to a flowmaster 40 series.

Its a REAL deep low tone no rasp but in high rpms it gurgles. I love it. Will never change.
      Reminds me of a sti

Comment

Whats the diff between a glass pack and resenator?

My car(s) have never had either or, since I'm highly modded, the PD's will love me(tickets) so I want to go un-noticed.

I'm not thread jacking just curious as to what they diff is, I'll delete if needed
        NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
        DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Naw.... your not jacking the thread that's a good question to ask. I've heard about using a glass-pack in place of a resonator but, I don't know anyone who has personally used a glass-pack. Maybe it's a cost factor?
          My understanding of a resonator is that they are manufactured to cancel out certain exhaust notes and are a straight through design, costing very little if any in power.
          Resonators are also different lengths and different diameter. It works best when used with a muffler to get a quiet exhaust. I've read that it was best to use the biggest resonator that will fit meaning diameter and length. I never used a resonator before maybe a glass-pack would work just fine I just don't know. I've heard of people using two resonators with a muffler to be quieter still.

Performance exhaust for me... until last year, were big block and small block MOPAR, now I'm doing Honda.

Comment

I thought glass pack was to make it sound louder/rumble like those V8 guys doing to their muscle cars and trucks.
            Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

I always found them ANNOYING even in the 70's always thought they were crap.
              They have less back pressure which helps in performance BUT does very little to quiet the exhaust.
              The police wrote tickets for loud exhausts back then as well. Minimum wage in 1975 was $2.10-$2.25 hr. tickets could get expensive.

Comment

Length. Paking material. And yes its ment really to replace a muffler in v8's for a more agressive sound but when put on 2.2 leiters both that are made to make a rumble makes the f22 and h22 a very low....a better way to explain it is it never rasps its a low growl. My buddy has a h22 civic and had a full 3" with this set up and I loved it and slapped it on. I need a new flex pipe but once I grab one ill you tube it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkcloud View Post
                  Whats the diff between a glass pack and resenator?

My car(s) have never had either or, since I'm highly modded, the PD's will love me(tickets) so I want to go un-noticed.

I'm not thread jacking just curious as to what they diff is, I'll delete if needed
                  HOW DARE YOU! you ass I'm never posting on this site ever again because of you!

Jk lol love ya cloud! Read my previous post!

Comment

28'' magnaflow straight through stainless steel resonator is the best for a 2.2L

im finally pulling the car out for the summer... late i know... if you haven't made your choice i can grab a sound clip

the 2.5''I.D. and i think 4'' or 6'' cant remember O.D. fits right under the driver in the tunnel, it would be tight with a cat, but if you flange mount the resonator to the header you have ~10-12'' left before the 90 in front of the gas tank.

It sounded so good i actually just put a turn down and dumped behind the driver seat... no rasp at all... actually most people have mistaken the engine for a motorcycle when they hear it coming
                    Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMadness View Post
                      28'' magnaflow straight through stainless steel resonator is the best for a 2.2L

im finally pulling the car out for the summer... late i know... if you haven't made your choice i can grab a sound clip/

the 2.5''I.D. and i think 4'' or 6'' cant remember O.D. fits right under the driver in the tunnel, it would be tight with a cat, but if you flange mount the resonator to the header you have ~10-12'' left before the 90 in front of the gas tank.

It sounded so good i actually just put a turn down and dumped behind the driver seat... no rasp at all... actually most people have mistaken the engine for a motorcycle when they hear it coming
                      .....that's not a very attractive sound in a car...

Comment

Originally posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
                        .....that's not a very attractive sound in a car...
                        from my description alone i realize that.

it was more as an example of the quality of the tone... i.e. able to drive with header and resonator alone, and having cbr-quality tone and loudness.

that being said, using the resonator with a muffler would produce a very nice tone and quiet down quite a bit.

Comment

Oh cbr...I thought u ment like a vtwin harley

Comment

Originally posted by cb7_with_snail View Post
                            Oh cbr...I thought u ment like a vtwin harley
                            ... that would be horrible

Comment

cb7_with_snail, did you ever get a flex pipe? I'm dying to hear your exhaust!

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                              X