Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Everyday Practical Electronics RuLES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyday Practical Electronics RuLES

I've been reading a magazine called Everyday Practical Electronics, and in the september to november 2009 issues their is a 3 part section on how to make your OWN programmable Ignition system. and i also found that they made it so you can add a knock sensor to it, and also a LED/Digital tach for it. i'm super excited about being able to have something that i Can build.

from the article it says it features:
    • Advance and retard adjustment over a wide range
    • Plug-in LCD hand controller for adjustments
    • Hand controller LCD shows values and settings for adjustment
    • Suitable for single coil ignition systems with a dizzy
    • can be used as a timing interceptor or as a replacement ignition
    • ignition timing mapped against RPM and engine load
    • interpolated values used for RPM and load values between sites
    • Optional single map or dual timing maps
    • single map has 15rpm sites x 15 engine load sites
    • dual maps each have 11rpm sites x 11 engine load sites
    • 1 deg or .5 deg adjustments
    • dwell adjustment
    • knock sensing indication, with optional ignition retard
    • suits 1 to 12 cylinder engines (4 stroke) and 1 to 6 Cylinder 2 stroke engines
    • 2 debounce settings
    • high-level or level level triggering
    • points, reluctor, hall effect, digital signal, or optical triggering
    • works with many pressure sensors (MAP sensors)
    • min and max RPM adjustments
    • Min and Max engine load adjustments
    • Diagnostic RPM and load readings
    • add-on knock sensing unit (optional)
    • requires evenly spaced firing between cylinders. For v-twins, you will need two ignition systems and a seperate trigger for each cylinder

so to say the least i'm super excited about this project. I want to start getting stuff for it but i'm moving to indiana here in two weeks and don't really have time or money to be getting this stuff. but What I want to do is have it so I can run an engine on a stand without having to hack up a civic, accord to get a engine to run. Plus I have a few other ideas. What do you guys think though? I"m not looking for profit, this is fun and a project.
    WTB:
    88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
    OR
    90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

so what exactly is provided, schematics, or a supplied board and parts list? sounds like it would be a fun project...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

First section shows how to use it, how it looks all together, how it works. It gives the specifications about what and how it can work (all those things i listed it gives specific values so you know what it's limitations are). Then starts all the heave stuff. It gives you a few schematics (since it's about 3 boxes) and it also gives you a shopping list of things you need (ie. chips, capacitors, resistors, lcd things, ICs connectors.) the only thing that it never lists is wires and sizes. I wish it did. but not a big deal just run same size as your car which i *ThINK* is 14awg. might be 12. It tells you were to put all the pieces if you buy their PCB (and it shows you how your pcb should look if you make your own...) It tells you which wires to hook up were and a few other things that are awesome. and final contruction and break in stuff. the only thing i don't know yet (because i haven't read all 3 sections (about 50 pages of stuff)) so basically if you buy this stuff and build it like it shows you it will work. i have to find a place to buy this stuff.
      WTB:
      OR
      90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

I just read a part on the Programming Code.... as follows

Note: the programming code (ignprgm.hex) for the PIC16F88-E/P microprocessor featured in this project will not be released or be made available on our website. Authorised kit sellers will supply programmed microcontrollers as part of their kits. For people who do not wish to build the project from a kit, programmed micros are available from Silicon Chip (www.siliconchip.com.au) for $30.00 by airmail.

I wonder though if you can't buy one of those take the chip out of any of our ecu's and put it in instead of that one microcontroller.
        WTB:
        OR
        90-93 Accord.

Comment

part1:
          http://www.epemag3.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=26

part2:

part3:

in case anyone wanted to attempt this and get the back issues of the magazines its the sept oct and nov issues...

Ride List
          1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
          2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
          newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

Be wary of the diy ecus IMO. A lot of tuners HATE them and will NOT tune them. Saw this a lot with the megasquirt guys. Don't know how many shops we dealt with that said when a kid comes in with an MS unit not running right, they would tear it out and put something else in due to the number of variables out of their control with the ecu itself. Looks like a cool idea, but unless you are skilled in tuning and in EFI, it might not be for everyone. Also, with the price of many budget ecus now, you can get a high quality ecu and harness for under 900 bucks.
            2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
            2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

Working...
            X