Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Chipped ECU or G-Force Chip Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chipped ECU or G-Force Chip Kit?

Alright so I was @ first thinking about getting a chipped ecu from eBay or some online website but it seems it would be better to actually get it tuned with the parts that I have on my engine... Then I came across some random adsense ad that looked interesting offering a 60hp increase (doubt it).

Anyways what it does is reprograms the ECU whilst attached to the IAT sensor... Almost sounds the exact same as a chipped ecu to me, but cheaper!

http://www.gforcechips.com/hondaprelude.aspx
    ^Honda prelude for h22a.

Has anybody tried this? What do you guys think?

Another question is, do you know of any actual reputable programmers for the obd1 engines?
    Last edited by StreetNewb; 08-30-2010, 04:50 PM.

^Clicky for MRT
    Kelowna Rhinoplasty and Gozie.com.

No. Not at all the same. Don't waste your time.

Buy a chipped oem ecu or have somone chip an oem ecu.
    Then pay a tuner, to tune your car. No other way.
    Last edited by noobcake; 08-30-2010, 05:09 PM.

Comment

take your car with a chipped p28 to a tuner and have it tuned. do it right the first time or dont do it at all.

My Members Ride Thread
      Originally posted by deevergote
      You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

Alright then that's what I'll do. Thanks a lot!

^Clicky for MRT

Comment

notice how it says up to a 60 hp gain not a 60 hp gain. you could get nothing and have nothing on them cause it doesnt say anything about giving you that power.

Comment

Originally posted by agol View Post
            notice how it says up to a 60 hp gain not a 60 hp gain. you could get nothing and have nothing on them cause it doesnt say anything about giving you that power.
            yeah saw that, but no product is going to guarantee a specific amount of horse power unless it's really low which makes the buyer less willing to purchase it. Throw in an "up to <random high number>" and you'll see higher conversion rates

^Clicky for MRT

Comment

Total waste of money, all those chips do is actually "De-tune" your engine by giving a false reading to the ecu.

What supporting mods do you have to require the need for chipping/tuning?

Getting a proper tune which is dedicated to your engine alone will give much better results, performance and most important, reliability

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                Total waste of money, all those chips do is actually "De-tune" your engine by giving a false reading to the ecu.

What supporting mods do you have to require the need for chipping/tuning?

Getting a proper tune which is dedicated to your engine alone will give much better results, performance and most important, reliability
                yeah right now I dont even have cams so I'm probably going to wait before I get a chipped ecu with the corespondent basemap. I need to get a euro r intake manifold, skunk2 pro series cams and a throttle body for it first.

^Clicky for MRT

Comment

My brother paid 200 bucks for a fancier version of a crap chip like that, it's completely worthless. All that it does is takes a 50 cent resistor from Radioshack, puts it in a fancy case, then changes the readings your ECU gets.

Comment

If you don't have the mods to justify an ECU tune, then it's a waste of your money.

A cam upgrade is where I draw the line. Anything that's just a bolt on doesn't need a tune. You CAN benefit from it, but unless you can have it done (safely) for free or very cheap, there's no point.

I had MRX tune my nearly stock H22, but only because he gave me a good deal... and it was a chance to hang out with the dude.

Comment

Only do it if you either have the mods to make it worth your time, or if you wanna practice on your block some before getting real mods.

Comment

That's true. A near stock engine is the safest thing to practice tuning on. Once you raise compression or add forced induction, you can do some serious damage with bad tuning.

Comment

You could always tell us what your plans are for the engine. If you currently have intake and exhaust on it and plan on just tuning that it's kinda pointless. If you plan on tuning it right now, just getting all the wiring and everything done so you can eventually drop in a turbo with a wideband o2 sensor and an EGT sensor and be ready to tune it it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                            You could always tell us what your plans are for the engine. If you currently have intake and exhaust on it and plan on just tuning that it's kinda pointless. If you plan on tuning it right now, just getting all the wiring and everything done so you can eventually drop in a turbo with a wideband o2 sensor and an EGT sensor and be ready to tune it it's worth it.

Yeah I've just got headers + catback exhaust & intake right now so it would be pointless except for disabling the speed limiter n whatnot but there's no point of purchasing 2 ecus so I will just wait until I've got everything

^Clicky for MRT

Comment

1) you only have one header
                              2) if you have any intention of taking your 20 year old car to triple digit speeds on public roads, you are a moron.

Comment

Working...
                              X