Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

why running TOO rich can be bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why running TOO rich can be bad

*edit* I know this isnt related DIRECTLY to ecu tuning, but it has to do with tuning. if a mod wants to move it, please do. thanks

Ive noticed that alot of people always say that its always better to run richer than to run lean. My answer to that was always that in some cases, detonation can come from being too rich. I havent really explained it and didnt feel like it, lol.

but i found a great article on this subject.
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/rich.php

This is kinda like a guide as to what afr's you should run for the optimum power output, assuming timing is at its best of course.

This is in lambda, to convert to AFR multiply by 14.7.

Idle - .90-1.0
    Cruise - 1-1.05
    Overrun - 1.09+ (I believe overrun refers to being in the higher RPM areas with the throttle closed)
    Transition (high load, not boosting) - .88-.90
    Low/Medium boost - .82-.87
    High boost - .80-.85
    Dead zones (areas of the table not normally seen) should be reasonable values which follow the contour of the rest of the table.

This is a GUIDELINE. If you were running, say, an air-cooled & turbo Porsche motor you would want much more fuel to help counter the heat.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Pimpin should help out quite a bit of people. Leaner is better until your motor goes kapoot lol.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Ahhh thats good stuff.. Sticky??

Comment

x2 on the sticky!!
        Always remember that only you can make your dreams a reality.

Never forget that your style is all that matters when it comes to your ride, but be respectful to others who don't share your vision.

Proud Alum of the University of Texas at Tyler, Class of 2010

Comment

very good info...also, cant running too rich cause you to 'wash' your rings?

Formerly 91AccordExR33
          11.68 @ 127mph
          417whp/375wtq
          Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Originally posted by 91accordexr33
            very good info...also, cant running too rich cause you to 'wash' your rings?
            Too much fuel will actually strip the protective oil from your cylnder walls and fuck up the oil and destroying your motor.

Comment

Thats good info, but what about about N\A WOT ratios? 14.7 is the most efficent... always... ? If you are NA then 14.7 everywhere under all conditions would be ideal? I just wondered because that what i always tuned to on the street and it seems to be doing fine... maybe under heavy load it goes down to 13.8 - 14.2 or so, but mostly aiming for constant 14.7. Is this bad?

yeah i found this little graphic, might help:
              Last edited by hemlockz; 08-31-2006, 09:00 PM.

hold on to your butts

Comment

for fuel economy, 14.7 and above is good. but it is found that most engines make peak power somewhere in the 13's.

its not bad, but you could probably richen it up a bit and get a few more ponies out of it.

the only way to find out at which afr's you make the most power is on a dyno.

I'd try to keep wot between 13.4-13.8.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                  for fuel economy, 14.7 and above is good. but it is found that most engines make peak power somewhere in the 13's.

its not bad, but you could probably richen it up a bit and get a few more ponies out of it.

the only way to find out at which afr's you make the most power is on a dyno.

I'd try to keep wot between 13.4-13.8.
                  Thats what Im saying I would like a lil more fuel when im WOT instead of keeping it at stoichiometric.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

good stuff right here

X1000000 on sticky

Comment

Working...
                    X