Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

STS Turbo Sytem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STS Turbo Sytem

Sorry if this is a repost...

I've been talking to my guy about my build and he's been telling me all about this "remote" turbo setup... Now he just got me the site http://www.ststurbo.com/ and I'm just curious what everyone's take is on the setup...

In my mind it seems like you would lose power with all the extra bends and all the extra pipe the air would have to travel through to get from the exhaust mani all the way down the car to the turbo, back down the car to the intake... I dunno... I just need some more opinions I guess...

"Little" Kenny
    Allison Stokke... Google her... Yeah

92 Accord Ex Sedan - Parting Out

H22 GT4088 CRX build coming soon

Originally posted by tickleMYelmo View Post

In my mind it seems like you would lose power with all the extra bends and all the extra pipe the air would have to travel through to get from the exhaust mani all the way down the car to the turbo, back down the car to the intake... I dunno... I just need some more opinions I guess...

"Little" Kenny
    All this is true.

Another kicker is that with a remote system like this, you lose exhaust heat. That heat, which is effectively energy, albeit random, really motivates exhaust gases to spool up your turbo.

Slower spool and miles of charge piping will probably lead to terrible lag and throttle response.

Comment

Thats kind of my thinking... So does anyone know anyone running a setup like this? Are they happy with the setup? Just trying to get both sides of this topic...

"Little" Kenny
      Allison Stokke... Google her... Yeah

92 Accord Ex Sedan - Parting Out

H22 GT4088 CRX build coming soon

Comment

this is all fairly new isnt it, i just started hearing about it less then a year ago?

Official CIVICKILLER's members ride thread! http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=112829

rock her with the shocker!

Comment

a smaller turbo will solve that problem.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

You loose a pressure drop BUT all the piping does lower the air charge temp considerably. In some cases over 75 degrees. So its not that big of a tradeoff.

Comment

these setups are more geared towards larger v6s and v8s that have little to no room in the engine bay to fit the turbos. ive heard that people only lose around 1psi of pressure due to all the piping.

My Members Ride Thread
              Originally posted by deevergote
              You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

Saw it on a C6 up here, seems to work nicely. If I had the money and the car to do it I probably would, I had a supercharged 71 cuda, and I blew the 440 with a busted supercharger, (it was brand new though...and installed right..and the 440 was completely freshly over-hauled) after only 5 months. I'd take the risk again for a turbo though....now if they can finally get a manual Challenger on the market and a turbo kit....
                Confucius say...when god gives you gators...make Gatorade

Comment

I've also heard of great results with the STS systems and thought about it on the CB7. The biggest problem I see is routing the charge piping back to the engine in a way that it won't get dragged, bent, beat up on speed bumps, driveways, etc. This would be a huge problem on the lowered ones here.
                  My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Get a sheet metal shop to make custom shielding you can mount, a bit costly, but worth it
                    Confucius say...when god gives you gators...make Gatorade

Comment

Working...
                    X