Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

$1100+parts to rebuild low end for light boost. Good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$1100+parts to rebuild low end for light boost. Good deal?

Went to one of the best machine shops around here (Abacus Racing) and asked about getting my low end rebuilt to handle 10psi max on turbo, probably only going to boost 5-6psi. The owner told me it'd be roughly $1100 if I supplied the parts (pistons, rods, bearings, etc). they would strip the block, clean it, bore and hone the block between .5 and 1 mil over. then knife egde and micropolish the crank.

It seemed like a good deal but what have ya'll spent on shop rebuilds and what all was done?
    90 LX, 270,XXX miles strong!

Originally posted by drummerwill View Post
    Went to one of the best machine shops around here (Abacus Racing) and asked about getting my low end rebuilt to handle 10psi max on turbo, probably only going to boost 5-6psi. The owner told me it'd be roughly $1100 if I supplied the parts (pistons, rods, bearings, etc). they would strip the block, clean it, bore and hone the block between .5 and 1 mil over. then knife egde and micropolish the crank.

It seemed like a good deal but what have ya'll spent on shop rebuilds and what all was done?
    You better be shooting for over 350hp if you are building the block. Stock internals can handle more than a lot of people think. Just need a good tuner.

Comment

ask turbo90accord but i remember him saying he ran his f on 14psi on stock internals for 3 years without issue, before he finally wanted more power.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

1100 to only handle up to 10 psi, just do a stock rebuild.
        you will be more than fine.
        MadLab Racing
        Southern Maryland

Comment

If they are doing it right, it doesnt sound too far off.

Are they building the shortblock, balancing the rotational assembly and everything?

I pay;

-20 bux a piece to seat pistons on wrist pins/rods
          -20 bux for hot tank
          -185 for line bore
          -90 for crank polished
          -115 for crank to be undercut *If both are done, it costs me $165
          -250 for balancing the rotational assembly
          -95 for hone

And those prices are for a guy, thats built a ton of motors and has been using the same shop for a long time.(10+ years)

Im sure theres cheaper rates, more expensive ones too. I would like to point out that those prices dont give me anything built. I still have to assemble everything.

So, long story short, if they are building the shortblock, and performing all that machine work then YES it COULD be worth it as long as the shop is as good as you are implying.

I personally wouldnt ever let anyone build me a motor. I have my own expectations, my own standards and they are normally pretty unrealistic.

I want to make sure things are right, and if you have a clearance issue on a main journal your not going to know until its too late. If your clearances arent correct across the board, it doesnt matter who built it or how much it costs. IT will fail.
          Last edited by toycar; 04-14-2011, 02:48 PM.
          Originally posted by wed3k
          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

So ya'll think i'm going a little too extreme on the build then? BTW The shop does quite a few racecars and has been featured in more than a couple car magazines.

as far as the build goes, you all think I'd be fine keeping the stock bore and rods and doing it myself? like not boring or honing the sleeves? I've read the threads about stock sleeves and stock internals under boost, and I want something that's going to last for more than a few years. from what Deevergote's said on them it sounds like many people destroy the block within a couple years.

Comment

I'd still have them clean the block up and make sure the cranks journals are good, and heck have em install sleeves for ya, you never know when you'll feel the need for more power, and this way the sleeving is already done, but all the assembly stuff is super easy to do, just have to make sure you have the correct clearances

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
              1992 Accord EX Coupe
              My FS Thread
              Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Coming from a guy who's local. Abacus will RAPE you. I haven't experienced this personally. But I've known several local tuners who have. No doubt they do good work. Facility is top notch. But more than likely, that price STARTS at $1100. Don't be surprised if it goes up when you get the final bill. Hit me up with PM, and I'll give you details on a better builder on my side of the water.
                '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

if you're going to boost it bisi has a rod and piston package deal and its well worth it. get those, a block brace, headstuds and better headgasket and you can run damn near whatever you want.
                  rod/piston combo $760
                  http://bisimoto.com/store/index.php?...hbtonvkjt76fg7
                  head gasket $113
                  http://bisimoto.com/store/index.php?...hbtonvkjt76fg7
                  block brace $100 (ive had this one for 5yrs with no issues)
                  http://www.tasauto.com/Product/Detai...500&d=1817&p=1
                  h23 arp head studs $100-$200 at any local speed shop
                  $1100-1200 in parts for a built engine. everything new so you can abuse it or drive it the rest of you life or something in between. the only thing i recommend is spend the money on a new oil pump and anything that comes into touch with the timing belt, you'll thank me later

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

upon some more research I came across this:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=876586

interesting read if ya'll havent seen it yet. Pretty much says that the stock bore can handle what I want to do. Starting to think I should just have someone check the journals and bearing clearances, and maybe hone the cylinders. If it's not necessary to bore the block for 5-6 psi then I'd rather save the money for better parts where they will be more necesary.

That and I'd like to be able to say I've touched every part in my engine.

Now for rods it seems people are 50/50 for changing them out. I've seen some things about h22 rods in an F block, but I need to check it out further. anyone have any say on H22 rods?

Comment

The problem with 5-6psi is, well its just a start.
                      your gunna wanna up it.
                      sure you say you wont, but I believe each boosted member here has said that at one point.

and now, we all want more!
                      MadLab Racing
                      Southern Maryland

Comment

I've never known anyone to stop at 5-6 psi, never. I think you'd have to modify most actuators to open the wastegate that early.
                        Originally posted by wed3k
                        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

the only thing id upgrade would be the pistons, rod bolts and head bolts.

i wouldnt even balance it or knife edge it if you are on such a budget. you would rather spend the money on a tune and a wideband setup or a boost gauge.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Hahaha, well I'm going to build a junkyard block, and i'm trying to do things with a limited budget.

Soooo if down the road I want to be shooting flames out my ass and snapping axles like twigs with an ITB'd quad turbo setup boosting 30psi I'll have the original block to do that to.

Dammit... now im wanting to do that. hahahaha...

the only thing id upgrade would be the pistons, rod bolts and head bolts.

i wouldnt even balance it or knife edge it if you are on such a budget. you would rather spend the money on a tune and a wideband setup or a boost gauge.
                            I'm planning on spending the money to get a legit tune. That seems to be the most important part of a turbo build. I'm looking to only run a dsm turbo, so that's why i'm not looking to go extreme on the block work. I'm new to the idea of boosting and I'm not trying to get in over my head with this build, which is why I'm only looking to boost 6psi. But a tune is different, I dont want something to blow cause I didn't get a good tune.
                            Last edited by drummerwill; 04-15-2011, 11:36 PM.

Comment

well is there any other company out there other than bis that makes piston and rods ??? i try to google the hell out of f22 stuff and damn it all that shows up is replacment parts and s2k parts ...

Comment

Working...
                              X