Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Questions on low PSI Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on low PSI Turbo

Ok so im running a turbo setup on my stock JDM H22A and i was going to run about 5-8 PSI do i need an intercooler ? I was told under 9 PSI i didnt need one as long as i wasnt on it 24/7. if so, which will do ?

http://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMIN...sim_sbs_auto_1

Last edited by tutsuo; 06-19-2012, 07:31 PM.
    Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
    Originally posted by deevergote
    den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

u need a intercooler if u boosting period the first intercooler is just fine

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordkidd View Post
      u need a intercooler if u boosting period the first intercooler is just fine
      yay
      Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

The amount of heat created (and thus needing to be cooled down) by a turbo AT 8psi is largely dependent on what turbo you have and much less dependent on the specific psi number. A motorcycle turbo could be used to create 8psi and a tremendous amount of heat at a very low rpm, a big diesel turbo could be used to create 8psi and very little heat (though the 8psi would come at HIGH revs)......so what turbo are you planning on using?
        My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

this intercooler is good to i just purchased it

http://www.amazon.com/Godspeed-Super...oler+universal

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
            The amount of heat created (and thus needing to be cooled down) by a turbo AT 8psi is largely dependent on what turbo you have and much less dependent on the specific psi number. A motorcycle turbo could be used to create 8psi and a tremendous amount of heat at a very low rpm, a big diesel turbo could be used to create 8psi and very little heat (though the 8psi would come at HIGH revs)......so what turbo are you planning on using?
            Originally posted by 92accordkidd View Post
            this intercooler is good to i just purchased it

http://www.amazon.com/Godspeed-Super...oler+universal
            A garret t3/t4 and that intercooler is better then

?

Comment

im saying that one is a good intercooler too

Comment

Mishimoto makes an amazing cooler. Godspeed is a nice cooler as well.

As mentioned, you will need one if you want to safely run boost. The heat is 1/2 explained as mentioned, but heat is also generated from compressing air.

The compressed air is hotter than atmospheric temperature. Pair that with the heat generated by the turbo as was already mentioned and its def in your best interest to run an intercooler.
                Originally posted by wed3k
                im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

ok i will get this one http://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMIN...sim_sbs_auto_1 , i was recommended to get a 29x12x3 but i cannot find one that isnt an off brand ebay junk.

Comment

That'll work out great for you. Nice choice man, good intercooler.
                    Originally posted by wed3k
                    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

t3/t4 at 8psi...yes I agree you want an intercooler! You could get by without but much safer with one. And yes, compressing air and turbo heatsoak DO play a factor in the air temp.
                      My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

If you did a secondary bank of injectors into the plenum, its possible to pull enough heat out of the air with the fuel to net a similar intake temperature as an intercooled setup. Not as practical and definitely more expensive, but just saying it can and has been done.
                        There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Fuel-cooling is how many early non-intercooled setups worked. I think my old Dodge Shadow (1st car) was like that. 140hp of pure crap!

Anyway, yes... take any and all precautions if you don't want this stock-block H22 to blow up too quickly. It will definitely blow eventually, but you might be able to enjoy it for a little while before it does, if you keep the boost and temps low.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            Fuel-cooling is how many early non-intercooled setups worked. I think my old Dodge Shadow (1st car) was like that. 140hp of pure crap!

Anyway, yes... take any and all precautions if you don't want this stock-block H22 to blow up too quickly. It will definitely blow eventually, but you might be able to enjoy it for a little while before it does, if you keep the boost and temps low.
                            It was crap because it was a shadow, not because it was fuel-cooled.
                            There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The last time I talked to my ex (not too long ago), she told me she smelled gas, and immediately thought of that old POS shadow, and it's fuel leak.

Comment

Working...
                              X