Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

replacing factory map sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing factory map sensor

What all would be involved in detail on replacing the stock map sensor ans what type out of what vehicle would i use, want to go from the factory 1 to a 3 bar, guessing just take the box apart and clip the wiresm but which one would i use, throw some ideas at me for people whos done this. how to and what vehicle to get it from on ebay... thank...

A GM 3bar is what I have heard a lot use. You have to also have your ecu program modified (its been referenced as uncorked) to understand the new map sensor.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

You may be right but have heard that i shouldnt have to mess with my chipped p06 at all, ill try to do some more research, ive heard gm is what people use most too. thanks

Comment

What tuning software do you have? I use a AEM 5 bar map and it was in the dropdown box as a option in my Neptune rtp.

Comment

using crome pro for datalogging and innovate lc-1 wideband boosting 11, wanting to go to 15 psi

Comment

Originally posted by tootall View Post
            using crome pro for datalogging and innovate lc-1 wideband boosting 11, wanting to go to 15 psi
            Wow were in the same boat. I use Crome Pro (as well as the LC-1). Once you have wired in the GM 3 bar (if thats what you choose to go with), you simply have to select it under one of the columns in Crome (I apologize its been a while since I have done this, I dont recall which section). Then upload your new map with the GM 3 bar saved as your MAP sensor of choice, and it should work.

You need to select which MAP sensor you are using under your tuning program because different MAP sensors all communicate a little differently.

As for installation there are plenty of threads all over regarding wiring. Essentially you will need the GM style weatherpack connector that plugs into the GM map sensor. You will clip away your factory MAP sensor connector (located in that black box in your engine bay), and wire in the new connector accordingly. Its a fairly simple process.

You should be able to aquire a GM 3 bar online pretty easily from many places. It may be sold as a vehicle specific, or also several tuning sites sell the GM 3 bar alone, as an individual product, for use in other vehicle applications like you will be doing.

The GM 3 bar map sensor can read up to 28 pounds of boost.
            Last edited by ON_N20; 09-30-2012, 12:49 PM.
            ON_N20
            Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

Ive already had my factory map sensor out many times and familiar with it and know there are the 3 wires coming off of it going to the plug but does anyone have a thread on here just showing how to install in detail, what color wire to which and so on, do they usually mount or is there room for them in the black box, just would like to see pics or a good thread on the subject, and thanks for your help bud appreciate it, and is the gm 3 bar the best one to go with? thanks. would rather have a 2 bar because of voltage issues dropping maybe but guess a 3 bar will be fine. cant find a thread on here...

Comment

GM cars equipped with a Supercharged 3800 have a 2 bar MAP sensor, you should be able to get the MAP and matching connector fairly cheap from a junkyard
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

not many junkyards around this shit hole city i live in but will look, thanks though, yeah seen a couple on ebay of the 2 but mainly 3 bar with the 3 wires for 35 bucks or so. just waiting to know for sure which one to get.

Comment

Originally posted by tootall View Post
                    Ive already had my factory map sensor out many times and familiar with it and know there are the 3 wires coming off of it going to the plug but does anyone have a thread on here just showing how to install in detail, what color wire to which and so on, do they usually mount or is there room for them in the black box, just would like to see pics or a good thread on the subject, and thanks for your help bud appreciate it, and is the gm 3 bar the best one to go with? thanks. would rather have a 2 bar because of voltage issues dropping maybe but guess a 3 bar will be fine. cant find a thread on here...
                    Check out this page in the pgmfi.org library: http://wikitest.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/...rary/MapSensor

Signal / Honda / GM
                    --------------------
                    +5V - Yellow/Red - C
                    Ground - Green - A
                    Signal - White - B
                    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

you have to rescale your Bin file for the 3bar as the scaling is completely different vs the stock map sensor. if you simply install the 3bar and do not make any modifications to your bin file, the car will turn on and immediately shut off.

luckily for you, the rescaling is easy if you do select the gm 3bar as john cui(creator of crome) already has the gm 3bar sensor available for selection in the map sensor section.

furthermore, once you change to 3bar you will have to retune the vehicle. the columns become shifted (example, what once was 3psi might now be 4.8psi (column shift) so the car can run leaner/richer in certain areas. including out of boost.

Last edited by WiKKeDV16; 10-08-2012, 09:02 PM.

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

So I'm guessing if I will be using a piggyback ecu I will not be able to use any other map sensor besides the stock one?

Comment

Correct^

the only way for a vehicle to run properly with a piggy back is to run the stock map sensor, but my question is... why would you run a piggy back when there are so many more options,???

considering the advancement in tuning technology... the cost of a piggyback is roughly the same as getting your ecu chipped and basemapped for your vehicle to run properly until your ready to get the car tuned..

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Originally posted by WiKKeDV16 View Post
                            Correct^

the only way for a vehicle to run properly with a piggy back is to run the stock map sensor, but my question is... why would you run a piggy back when there are so many more options,???

considering the advancement in tuning technology... the cost of a piggyback is roughly the same as getting your ecu chipped and basemapped for your vehicle to run properly until your ready to get the car tuned..
                            Because I got this piggyback for free. I'll run it until I get bored and then go for a chipped ecu over winter

Thanks for the info btw

Comment

Working...
                            X