Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

y are superchargers so unpopular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
    Superchargers are actually more reliable than turbos. Its one of the reasons why top fuelers use them.
    Actually the reason is because turbos are completely outlawed in the top fuel class. Even most kinds of superchargers besides the roots style are outlawed because they are too efficient. They only decided to allow them on the import cars because of the difference in displacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearit22
      Actually the reason is because turbos are completely outlawed in the top fuel class. Even most kinds of superchargers besides the roots style are outlawed because they are too efficient. They only decided to allow them on the import cars because of the difference in displacement.
      Whoa...has it always been outlawed?

Comment

Originally posted by Fearit22
        intersting ... i can say i learned something in college today
        h23a3 cb7 turbo sold

FS: 1 Piece JDM Headlghts blackhoused

My Members Ride !
        New ride

'07 GTI Mk5 6spd

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
          Whoa...has it always been outlawed?
          Nope, they weren't always outlawed. Started about 10-15 years ago or so I think. People started experimenting with them and were making crazy power, but they outlawed them before anyone with enough funding starting using them. It's the same reason they got outlawed in F1 racing.. people thought it was dangerous because they were making too much power.

Comment

So I'm guessing that CART is the only extremely high end motorsport that still uses em? I know they are turbo, I thought the F1 cars were too...

Comment

F1 has been NA only for several years now. They were making stupid power with turbos and the F.I.A. was having trouble keeping speeds in check (on some tracks, they were pushing or exceeding 300 MPH). Now that the NA science has advanced because of it, they keep reducing the displacement in an effort too keep speeds in check, just like the IRL is doing (it was 4.0 Liter V8s when they started, then it dropped to 3.5, and now it is 3.0).

CART uses turbocharged engines, but they are severely derated for durability and safety purposes.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Yep. Turbos were outlawed in NHRA drag racing cause they say the potential for stupid power levels. Which boggles my mind. Nobody has a dyno that can take the explosive power of a top fuel/funny car V8. But, with sensors, they can use the amount of flexing in the crank to estimate power levels. These numbers suggest 8,000 horsepower. But, nobody believes it. Drivers and crew chiefs think 7,000 is more like it. Either way, that is stupid power level. But, at max rpm, that roots supercharger is draining 1500 horsepower from the engine. 1500!!! Now, imagine the same boost level, but with a highly more efficient turbo system. Maybe...say...10,000 horsepower? Wow.

In the hey day of F1 turbo engines, Honda had a V6 that made 1500 horsepower, from 1.5L. Thats 900 horsepower per liter. (by contrast, a top fuel/funny car V8 makes 840 horsepower per liter...but only lasts 1/4 mile). Those F1 engines would actually last an entire qualifying session. At race boost, they still made 1200 horsepower or so.

The only reason superchargers are more reliable is because there are fewer parts that can go bad. Plus, superchargers don't have to deal with near the heat issues that a turbo system does. Heat causes

Comment

There is actually a mid 80s honda V6, 1.5 liter that pushes out over 1100hp that was twin turboed. It has not been outlawed that long.

Comment

Working...
                  X