Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Finally Boosted F20A carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Boosted F20A carb

Note-For readers, My car has the F20A3 2.0L carbed engine. I've made it suck through turbo using a TD04 with a 1.75" SU carb

Well I got the last of the flanges today, so put the last peices on finally. Started the car and spent 3 hours just trying to get it to idle properly and under 2000rpm. So I finally get it down to 1200rpm I can live with that for now. So then I take it for a drive, drive off 1st gear not boosting, then 2nd gear and I give it 3/4 throttle, bit of hesitation then 5-6psi, yay it works, then ping ping . . ping. take it back home, retard the timing some more, and take it for another drive, hit 2nd gear 8psi boost . . . . mmmm no performance gain what so ever, bit of black somke coming out the back. Try it again in 3rd gear full throttle at about 3000rpms, bit of hesitation then it goes . . . but no more power than normal??? drive round a bit more . . . then the detonation comes back only lightly, look behind me when on boost . . . blue smoke out the back check the sparkplugs and sure enough covered in oil. I think whats happened Is because its suck through carb, the massive vaccum in front of the turbo has destroyed the seals in the turbo. Only 15 mins of driving And I've managed to kill it already, unless anyone has any other ideas??
    But what I cant work out is why I'm not getting any more power when on boost?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Its not boost leaks because the manifold is getting up tp 10psi at times.
    Just took it for another drive, not getting much blue smoke not only sometimes, but still running like a bag of shit lol. Gota tune it propely on tuesday. Still having problems with the idle, but I think thats because as I go from full throttle to no throttle the massive vaccum behind the butterfly wont allow it 2 close fully, so it ends up idling at like 3000rpm, and other times wont idle at all . . . .
    Last edited by evil_demon_01; 06-03-2006, 03:10 AM.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

u might want to pm turbop he's got it all working now.. He also modified the stock carb to accept boost (blow through, not suck through)

Mabe the air/fuel mixture is not quit that good bcs of the "long" boost piping the mixture has to travel through.

anyways, good luck!

No projects at the moment... danm

2k20:
      For sale Demon+ tunerview RD2 Make offer brand new in box

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchaccord
        u might want to pm turbop he's got it all working now.. He also modified the stock carb to accept boost (blow through, not suck through)

Mabe the air/fuel mixture is not quit that good bcs of the "long" boost piping the mixture has to travel through.

anyways, good luck!
        He's finally finished has he? I've been checking his members ride page, but he hasnt updated it for a few months. Thanks for that I'll talk 2 him and see how he's getting on.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Thats interesting. Its possible the carb is restricting air to the point where psi cannot have an effect on engine HP. I agree with Dutch. You may need to modify your Carb so you can force boost through.

Comment

The carb should accept boost. As long as the butterfly is open under boost then it should pressurize the plenums too? I'm leaning towards a iming issue with the lack of power problem and I'm leaning towards a vacuum issue with the idle problem.

My Accord History:
            91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by ACCLUDE91
              The carb should accept boost. As long as the butterfly is open under boost then it should pressurize the plenums too? I'm leaning towards a iming issue with the lack of power problem and I'm leaning towards a vacuum issue with the idle problem.
              Suck through carb, Not blow through. Means the carb is BEFORE the turbo inlet. So the carb is never pressurized, only vaccumized lol.
              Could It be because the timing is Fully Retarded? Its reterded at the moment because of detonation

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
                Could It be because the timing is Fully Retarded? Its reterded at the moment because of detonation
                I believe the rule is retard 1 degree for every 10 pounds of boost.
                My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by TysCb7
                  I believe the rule is retard 1 degree for every 10 pounds of boost.
                  Incorrect. Its retard one degree for every 2-3psi.

Comment

i talked to turbop (pjotr) he thinks that the carb ur using is to small... he will contact u asap

No projects at the moment... danm

2k20:
                    For sale Demon+ tunerview RD2 Make offer brand new in box

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchaccord
                      i talked to turbop (pjotr) he thinks that the carb ur using is to small... he will contact u asap
                      Which will restrict air flow...

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=48244
                        You know I told you why your turbo is smoking! You were boosting the atmosphere!
                        GOOD LUCK!
                        WaC.

WaC!

Comment

1.75" SU......
                          That carb is way too small for that engine.
                          It needs the turbo to suck through it to keep the enine running.
                          If you want to stay draw-through, get a Weber dual carb.
                          Atleast a 2x36mm one.

I'm still in the testfase with my blow-thru.
                          I modified the stock carb to mech. secondary.
                          Took al of the vac stuff off. I'll let you know when it's running fine.

PS
                          Your Turbo might not have the proper seals for a draw-thru set-up.
                          Last edited by Turbo_p; 06-04-2006, 02:11 PM.
                          No Honda There will be one eventually...
                          1996 Volvo 960 2.5i 24v autotragic

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo_p
                            1.75" SU......
                            That carb is way too small for that engine.
                            It needs the turbo to suck through it to keep the enine running.
                            If you want to stay draw-through, get a Weber dual carb.
                            Atleast a 2x36mm one.

I'm still in the testfase with my blow-thru.
                            I modified the stock carb to mech. secondary.
                            Took al of the vac stuff off. I'll let you know when it's running fine.

PS
                            Your Turbo might not have the proper seals for a draw-thru set-up.
                            You diddn't keep the Weber? Why Not?
                            You reckon That carbies too small? I had originally thought of using the Honda carb but decided not to because of the mechanical secondaries and having to fill the fuel float to stop it being crushed. If you go to www.3geez.com there is some useful info reguarding the Honda carb, Removing vacuum lines, mechanical secondary etc.
                            Yep I'm sure that it doesnt have the proper positive seals as needed, Thats the next thing to get sorted out.

On a side note:
                            I took my car for a drive last night, and pulled up to a set of lights, and it stalled, Try to start it again, and it just wouldn't start. So I called the towie to get me home. So he puts my car on the truck, drives off and stops . . . BANG, He hadn't secured the car properly and it went into the back of the cab and smashed the front bumper of my car. He dropped me and the car off at home and left without saying anything!! I rung the company back and told them, and they were shocked. So there supposed to be ringing me back on tuesday to get it fixed. . . . dic*heads!
                            So I looked at the car this morning as to why it won't start, One of the boost hoses had split, It was the one peice of hose that I cheaped out on, Put a new hose on this morning, And shes running again

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

The Weber was a pain to tune under boost.
                              And after i let it sit for a while (3 weeks), the tuning was completly off.
                              There are a lot of guys in Germany that boosted this carb with succes.
                              Why mine isn't working
                              No Honda There will be one eventually...
                              1996 Volvo 960 2.5i 24v autotragic

Comment

Working...
                              X