Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

New 16G question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 16G question

Just swapped out my old leaking 14B for a New DSR Big 16G turbo.
    Still running standard exhaust pipe with 2.5" straight through rear muffler. (Getting 2.5" piping done in the next couple of weeks)

Just went for a run tonight, and it seems to have less power than the 14B. Nothing is different in the setup just the turbo.

Theres 2 things I can think of at the moment as to why, but I'm not quite sure.
    1) Exhaust is too small for the extra exhaust flow?
    2) Running at 5psi is too far out of the 16G efficiency range?

Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by evil_demon_01; 12-12-2007, 02:29 AM.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

1) yes
    2) not necessarily... just really gotta free up some exhaust flow w/ bigger piping

has it been tuned with the new 16g?

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
    My Ride thread
    Flickr
    Originally posted by d112crzy
    And it can only get better. That's the best part.
    All I gotta really say is:
    People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

Havn't changed the map from the 14B setup, but checked the tune last night and all is well

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

are you sure it lost power...

or is it just getting power higher in rpm's and now it doesn't feel as torquey as it did..?
        "Self Renewed"

Comment

Crank the booooooost!
          wat

Comment

Originally posted by KeelesKustome
            are you sure it lost power...

or is it just getting power higher in rpm\'s and now it doesn\'t feel as torquey as it did..?
            Yea I wondered that too, but It feels . . . restricted?
            Which is what made me wonder either exhaust or efficiency range?

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

you need to tune it again, ive had the same problem before from a quick spoolin 14b to the laggier big 16g which means you to take it to higher RPM. and from a 14b tune might not work well with the big 16g so tune it first then take it to higher rpm. also raise up the boost to either 8-10psi

Comment

Here's a pic of my map. Boost will be upped once exhaust is done

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

that's all jibberish to me but i can't imagine a 14b tune even being feasible for a 16G.

Comment

Originally posted by minoreparations
                    that's all jibberish to me but i can't imagine a 14b tune even being feasible for a 16G.
                    Well simply put - Closed loop uses feedback from the wideband sensor plus various other sensors. So as far as being a feasible tune - Its not that bad as adjustments to fuel/timing are made based on engine conditions at that particular time via feedback from the sensors.
                    A/F's are very similar to the tune that was used for the 14B which was made a little bit rich anyway.
                    It would be nice to be able to get to a dyno to check the torque curve, but I'm still loking for a good place to go to. And as can be seen above the timing is fairly conservative for the amount of boost.
                    Last edited by evil_demon_01; 12-13-2007, 03:50 AM.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

you need to do the whole thing over again as far as tune for the 16g and more exhaust diameter to let the air escape.

Same thing happened to me with my srt4 turbo the stock turbo worked fine but then it worked better with the mopar exhaust which was 2.5. But then i went with the mpx exhaust it ran even harder . Then came the stage 3 then it ran like hell then it ran better with the next 3 inch exhaust the only difference is i didnt tune it mopar did straight out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                        you need to do the whole thing over again as far as tune for the 16g and more exhaust diameter to let the air escape.

Same thing happened to me with my srt4 turbo the stock turbo worked fine but then it worked better with the mopar exhaust which was 2.5. But then i went with the mpx exhaust it ran even harder . Then came the stage 3 then it ran like hell then it ran better with the next 3 inch exhaust the only difference is i didnt tune it mopar did straight out of the box.
                        So what exactly should I be changing in the map? I can see timing change is needed for sure, But if A/F's are OK do I really need to change the fuel maps?
                        Should the fuel maps be kept similar but at different load points?

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Working...
                        X