Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

?: F22a Highest Compression on 87 octane unleaded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?: F22a Highest Compression on 87 octane unleaded

What is the maximum compression ratio you can increase an f22a motor to, and still be able to run on 87 octane unleaded?

What is the maximum/optimal bore & stroke for that compression ratio?

Any help on the matter is greatly appreciated.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

If running high octane fuel is really that much of a concern for you. Doing internal motor work is not for you.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

i thought the f22 was detuned to run 87 for economy purposes?
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

So are you saying the f22a's 8.8:1 compresion ratio, is the best compression ratio to burn 87 octane unleaded? If not, what compression ratio would squeeze the most power out of the 87 octane unleaded?

This is the answer i am seeking.

Comment

Just leave it stock if your running 87. Its pointless to dig in the motor just to bump up the compression a lil more.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

10.1:1 h23 burns 87 too

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
              Just leave it stock if your running 87. Its pointless to dig in the motor just to bump up the compression a lil more.
              Well what if you were digging into the engine, doing a complete rebuilt, lighter pistons & arms, and if your already going to do headwork, amongst other modifications, you might as well while its open, that way you know you have a brand new motor when your done, not one with xxx,xxx miles. Do you see the angle i am coming from?

Comment

but...why not just pay the 30 cents more for 91?
                I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                  but...why not just pay the 30 cents more for 91?
                  I don't know what fuel prices are there, but up here... dam, arco is selling gas for 3.29 for regular unleaded, so i'd be paying an additional 20-30 cents more per gallon? .30 x 17 = $5 more per tank. In a 100,000 miles that will add up to over $1000 if you managed to squeeze 500 gallons to a tank.

Why not benifit from lightened pistons and arms and more displacement in the process of rebuilding an engine like the f22a to run 87 octane gas.

Comment

easiest way would be to simply run an f23a1. 9.3:1 compression. About the only reason why it can run 87 still (and safely) is because it has a knock snesor. You could get an f23 bottom end then put your favorite top end (f22a, h23, or leave it f23) and get some cheap power... 160hp on stock form.
                    Oh, and the h23 doesn't run on 87, it needs 91 or better, just like the h22 does.

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc
                      I don't know what fuel prices are there, but up here... dam, arco is selling gas for 3.29 for regular unleaded, so i'd be paying an additional 20-30 cents more per gallon? .30 x 17 = $5 more per tank. In a 100,000 miles that will add up to over $1000 if you managed to squeeze 500 gallons to a tank.

Like I said earlier. If the price of gas is really a concern for you. a full motor build isnt a good idea.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc

Why not benifit from lightened pistons and arms and more displacement in the process of rebuilding an engine like the f22a to run 87 octane gas.
                        Seems like if you want a bit more compression on YOUR build, don't touch the block, just mill the head enough for a bit of a compression bump. This is more economical for you and if done right, can still run 87 octane tuned.
                        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                          Seems like if you want a bit more compression on YOUR build, don't touch the block, just mill the head enough for a bit of a compression bump. This is more economical for you and if done right, can still run 87 octane tuned.
                          Good point, but still the question of the thread is, what would be the most ideal compression ratio to run on an f22a motor on 87 octane.
                          Is the factory compression ratio the best? Or can it be raised to a higher ratio to achieve a better release of energy stored in 87 octane unleaded?

Does anyone know a company that makes lightwieght pistons and arms, and crank for f22a, with a stock bore & stroke?

Comment

it is almost helpless to help you dude, you seem to repeat yourself until an answer is given. just keep it stock and punch it harder.

arias pistons and probe rods will cost you at least 800 bucks. add labor, downtime, new piston rings and bearings, gaskets, stuff you break and miscellaneous fluids that you need.

with that amount of money right there...you can buy a lot of 87 gasoline because that seems to me that is what you are going for.

edit: BTW my best buddy has a 6th gen accord with the f23 and when his dad put 87 in it, he complained that the car ran like COMPLETE SHIT, ABSOLUTE SHIT. DO YOU WANT YOUR CAR TO RUN LIKE SHIT?
                            I <3 G60.

Comment

My f23 accord quite enjoys 87 octane, and that's what honda says it needs. without a knock sensor I wouldn't go more that 9:1 on the static compression, but that's me.

Comment

Working...
                              X