coilover spring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coilover spring question

so i played around with the cusco coilovers some more. im trying to lower the car as much as i can however the strut body is already maxed out to the rear and the front, i maxed out the strut body and the spring is already touching the locknut for the strut body so i wont be able to lower it any furthur.

as of right now, i still have 5 fingers worth of gap in the front and 3 fingers of gap in the rear with 205/50/15 tires.

now heres the thing, i got these coilovers second hand and came already assembled so i just threw them on the vehicle. the springs are different lengths and it would make sense that the longer spring (10") goes in the rear and the shorter spring goes to the front (8.5").

the reason i believe this is that a regular spring and strut combo, the front spring is shorter than the rear and like i said before i maxed the amount of adjustment in the front and my rears still have 2 inches of thread to play with. a longer spring belongs there...

if this is true then i just wasted 2 hours of my life because i installed someone else's fuckup.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

i hate fitting springs . but ur on coilovers so thats kinda odd, unless the springs are for another car

Comment

im not sure, they do fit the car.
      I <3 G60.

Comment

bump i know people have coilovers.
        I <3 G60.

Comment

The shocks are bottomed out with the springs at a five finger gap? Sounds like you need longer springs.

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
            The shocks are bottomed out with the springs at a five finger gap? Sounds like you need longer springs.
            note, i havent touched the perch yet, other than setting preload and i havent bottom out the adjustability for the shock body (the bottom lock nut). it's just that all three locknuts are touching each other now.

this is bullshit if i have to buy another set of springs. the rear has two inches for me to lower the sprint perch but that would practically give me no strut travel.

im not bottoming out the strut but the adjustability, here's a diagram. the bottom lock nut on the threaded portion allows you to move height withotu fucking with the spring perches.
            Last edited by wed3k; 09-15-2008, 02:53 AM.
            I <3 G60.

Comment

Well probly don't expect to have prelode with the wheel off the ground. If you think about it that would mean that the spring would be already touching and need to sag like 5 inches, which works on a progressive spring, but not on a single strength spring. If you can't let the perches down without the damper bottoming out then somthing is wrong.
              You should get some of these btw,lol.
              http://www.stockcarproducts.com/hyper3.htm

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
                Well probly don't expect to have prelode with the wheel off the ground. If you think about it that would mean that the spring would be already touching and need to sag like 5 inches, which works on a progressive spring, but not on a single strength spring. If you can't let the perches down without the damper bottoming out then somthing is wrong.
                You should get some of these btw,lol.
                http://www.stockcarproducts.com/hyper3.htm
                im hella confused, so do the springs need to be swapped front to back? it's the only thing that really makes sense at this point. are you saying that i shouldnt preload the spring whent he vehicle is jacked int he air? that's what all the peeps on h-t recommended and compressing the spring wont affect anything because it is a linear spring rate.

here's how it stands
                I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                  im hella confused, so do the springs need to be swapped front to back? it's the only thing that really makes sense at this point. are you saying that i shouldnt preload the spring whent he vehicle is jacked int he air? that's what all the peeps on h-t recommended and compressing the spring wont affect anything because it is a linear spring rate.

here's how it stands
                  No he means don't compress the spring with the adjuster while the wheels are off the ground (i.e preload the springs off the ground) if you want the lowest setting.
                  Also do they have keeper springs fitted?

My Teins look like this (fronts on the left, Rears on the right)

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                    No he means don't compress the spring with the adjuster while the wheels are off the ground (i.e preload the springs off the ground) if you want the lowest setting.
                    Also do they have keeper springs fitted?

My Teins look like this (fronts on the left, Rears on the right)
                    holy shit, you have longer spring on front which means im wrong

okay, so no preload and ill probably end up investing in a shorter spring up front.

my tophats are different too. the upper nut ends right where the studs are.
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

The springs need to be swapped. The springs need to setlle..but not THAT much.
                      Last edited by jdm_inspired; 09-15-2008, 04:08 AM.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                        holy shit, you have longer spring on front which means im wrong

okay, so no preload and ill probably end up investing in a shorter spring up front.

my tophats are different too. the upper nut ends right where the studs are.
                        A shorter spring won't necessarly fix the problem (shorter spring means less room to compress)
                        I see no keeper springs in the picture you posted.
                        Are your adjusting nuts wound right down, and if so how much (if any) freeplay is there in the main spring?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

its a 2nd hand set so there is no more settling.

if i have a shorter spring in front, it will give me room for more adjustment and i dont have space for helper springs. all three locknuts are pretty much butt up against one another which means zero adjustment.

ill have to get a picture of the setup.
                          I <3 G60.

Comment

Swap the springs and adjust the coilovers that should do the trick bro.
                            A.K.A BLACKCB7 ON FLACCORDS.COM

Comment

im just going to cut a coil off, linear spring rate ftw. see where that puts me. 16's should fill the gap a bit as well.
                              I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                              X