Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ES or Prothane?

I'd like to know what kit you guys are using,
    what you think about it and the pros & cons to help aid me in my decission.

I installed the red prothane kit (black was on back order WAY too long) and absolutely love it! The key is to use lots and lots of grease they supply, and in fact I even purchased an additional tube just in case. Prothane makes bushings for both the front AND rear, while ES only for the front.

The car is much tighter now in straights and corners and feels flatter too while cornering hard. As far as ride quality, you feel more of the road and get more feedback in the seat and steering wheel, but I don't think it's anywhere close to being uncomfortable.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have the black Prothane kit, front and rear. Definitely buy at least 1 more tube of grease and don't be stingy with it when installing.

Ride quality is much tighter which also translates into a stiffer ride. If you get stiff bushings and have soft tires you're going to be frustrated with the ride. A well built suspension is a combination of many pieces, not just a few random performance bits here and there.

Originally posted by Maple50175
      Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

i also believe that the Prothane bushings are harder than the ES bushings. I mixed Prothane rear bushings (only ones available) with ES front bushings (slightly more comfortable/soft yet still solid)

worked out nicely that i found deals on the separate sets, but if you find the whole Prothane kit, may as well go for it.

overall a major pain in the ass to install, and not necessarily comfortable (nor quiet) but definitely a GREAT UPGRADE
        Last edited by cp[mike]; 03-23-2011, 11:06 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
          don't be stingy with it when installing.

Ride quality is much tighter which also translates into a stiffer ride. If you get stiff bushings and have soft tires you're going to be frustrated with the ride. A well built suspension is a combination of many pieces, not just a few random performance bits here and there.
          This may be my first suspension "overhaul" but yes i know that plenty of grease necessary.
          This isnt gonna be just a random build, balance is on the brain and with everything being done i should be putting down some decent track times.

Comment

Well guys,
            Thank you for the feedback.

I do believe my decission has been made!

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
              i also believe that the Prothane bushings are harder than the ES bushings. I mixed Prothane rear bushings (only ones available) with ES front bushings (slightly more comfortable/soft yet still solid)

worked out nicely that i found deals on the separate sets, but if you find the whole Prothane kit, may as well go for it.

overall a major pain in the ass to install, and not necessarily comfortable (nor quiet) but definitely a GREAT UPGRADE
              What makes you say Prothane is harder than ES?

Comment

I'm about to replace my ES front lower control arm and shock mount bushings with Prothane parts. The ES bushings have torn along the edges and squeak like crazy. My rear LCA bushings are Prothane and they look GREAT as of 2 days ago. I used the same amounts of grease and installation procedures on the front as the rear so logic says perhaps the Prothane bushings are more durable. Personally, the Prothanes seam a little more rubbery than the ES, maybe it's me though.
                My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Working...
                X