D2 Coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D2 Coilovers?

So im in the midst of starting a new job and i got a lil extra $$ lying around so i thought of upgrading from my dropzone's to something better...i searched the site pretty thoroughly regarding the D2 coilovers and can't find anything?? i was ORIGINALLY thinking of going with a F&F 1's but now leaning towards the D2's but haven't really found any info on them on a CB..I know someone who has them on a teggy and they look and drive great...Any info is greatly appreciated..

Lou's Build Thread!
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181377
    "G-Squares Are For Assholes"~PR_CB7

I'm in the ballpark of 900$ so the cheapest i found the D2's was 830$ and the cheapest i found the F&F are 600$..

Lou's Build Thread!

Comment

My friend has them on his CB. I also have a set as well. I've been in a CB with F&F.

Personally I lke the D2's. The type ones are a bit softer IMHO but D2's are a more stiff but also good for daily too since you can adjust the dampening.

CBkid93 Mega drop Along with My 9t9d

The champagne one is my homie. Dumped on D2's Daily driven
      Last edited by Darkcloud; 03-25-2011, 12:01 AM.
      NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
      DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

sounds good! thanks Darkcloud for the feedback...i've also read good things about both..looking forward to the D2's then...Those anyone else have any feedback??Are there any other options out there??

Lou's Build Thread!

Comment

I've heard stories of D2s failing, though I've never seen any fail firsthand.

They are extremely stiff from what I hear. To be honest, I would never want anything that stiff on my car. It's uncomfortable, and actually a bit unsafe.

If you aren't planning on racing your car, Id suggest Tein Basic. They're one of the most forgiving and comfortable full coilover setups. They're basically made for street cars, where most of the others you find are "race inspired"... as in, they're stiff as shit for track performance, but not great for the street.

Either way, ANYTHING is an upgrade from Dropzone garbage!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            I've heard stories of D2s failing, though I've never seen any fail firsthand.

They are extremely stiff from what I hear. To be honest, I would never want anything that stiff on my car. It's uncomfortable, and actually a bit unsafe.

If you aren't planning on racing your car, Id suggest Tein Basic. They're one of the most forgiving and comfortable full coilover setups. They're basically made for street cars, where most of the others you find are "race inspired"... as in, they're stiff as shit for track performance, but not great for the street.

Either way, ANYTHING is an upgrade from Dropzone garbage!
            The only way they fail is upon installer error. You would have to adjust the coilovers wrong for them to give out. They are stiff but not ride sacrifice stiff just a bit stiffer then the F&F which is very little. The D2's are a 36 way adjustable so you can soften up the dampening if needed be.

And unsafe really Deev??? Do some more research on them and not listen to the internet crap, from the people didnt adjust or install them properly.

And yes a full coilover setup is better then what you have on you CB now

Oh I would also suggest replacing you bushing and balljoints
            Last edited by Darkcloud; 03-27-2011, 01:03 AM.
            NEW CB

new

Comment

Are you really accusing me of "listening to internet crap"?

An overly stiff suspension will not allow the tires to hold the road in certain conditions. It can be very dangerous.

I'm not arguing this, though... I clearly don't know what I'm talking about, so I'll keep quiet.

Do as you please. I'm caring less and less about what people do with their cars. I've talked about safe suspension upgrades enough on this forum... the information is there for people to read. I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to laugh and say "I told you so!" when someone crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Are you really accusing me of "listening to internet crap"?

An overly stiff suspension will not allow the tires to hold the road in certain conditions. It can be very dangerous.

I'm not arguing this, though... I clearly don't know what I'm talking about, so I'll keep quiet.

Do as you please. I'm caring less and less about what people do with their cars. I've talked about safe suspension upgrades enough on this forum... the information is there for people to read. I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to laugh and say "I told you so!" when someone crashes.
                Yea overly stiff. D2's arent overly stiff unless you want them to be

Hey you said that they are to stiff for daily driving when they aren't. I say dont comment if you have never driven on them or been in a car with them installed for less then a 20min ride.

They seem to be streetable to us Cali guys and I have been in all types of setups ranging from soft to stiff. And we have messed up streets. Just saying.

Plus he wanted feedback from people that own D2's or has driven on D2's. I'm cone
                Last edited by Darkcloud; 03-27-2011, 02:50 AM.
                NEW CB

new

Comment

i appreciate the feed back both from you guys...im not in one to be positioned to be in horrible roads like some of our tuners...most roads in fl are pretty good and if there bad they fill the holes really quick!..

Lou's Build Thread!

Comment

You can order custom spec'd spring rates from D2, so you can get any ridde youre looking for.

I've ridden in a CB on D2's with super high rate springs, I'm pretty sure if you ran over a dime, you could tell what date was on it.
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkcloud View Post
                      Yea overly stiff. D2's arent overly stiff unless you want them to be

Hey you said that they are to stiff for daily driving when they aren't. I say dont comment if you have never driven on them or been in a car with them installed for less then a 20min ride.

They seem to be streetable to us Cali guys and I have been in all types of setups ranging from soft to stiff. And we have messed up streets. Just saying.

Plus he wanted feedback from people that own D2's or has driven on D2's. I'm cone
                      Yes sir. You are absolutely correct. I have no idea what I am talking about. I try to make a habit of commenting on things that I have no experience with. It's how I do things around here. A super stiff suspension is PERFECTLY safe, because that's how you Cali guys roll... and of course, if you can drive with it, then it must be absolutely safe!
                      I'll shut up now.

Comment

Originally posted by PRLiTo9MM View Post
                        So im in the midst of starting a new job and i got a lil extra $$ lying around so i thought of upgrading from my dropzone's to something better...i searched the site pretty thoroughly regarding the D2 coilovers and can't find anything?? i was ORIGINALLY thinking of going with a F&F 1's but now leaning towards the D2's but haven't really found any info on them on a CB..I know someone who has them on a teggy and they look and drive great...Any info is greatly appreciated..

oh yeah bro u should get em if u have the money i love mines to death the still feel brand new with about 10k on em driving daily on f"ed up cail streets there nice and firm for me

Comment

Originally posted by PRLiTo9MM View Post
                          I'm in the ballpark of 900$ so the cheapest i found the D2's was 830$ and the cheapest i found the F&F are 600$..
                          I just ordered F/F type 2 .. 899 with shipping .. ouuch! But yeah ..

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Lito, whatever you get, make sure you get warranty..... I heard that D2's are pretty good, but TEIN Basic is also the shit..... my friend sin2K5 has them, and man the ride feels so nice, not to stiff, not too soft.... just perfect.

IMHO, TEIN is the best brand out there for aftermarket suspension, and I think that for a daily driving is more than enough, but thats just me..

Unless you gonna be racing or auto-X I understand why you would need Dampening adjustment, otherwise a basic set up works just fine like the F&F type I.

thats my O2 cents.
                            JDM Parts for sale

Comment

I read a review that went into detail on the best dampers on the market... Bilstein and Koni were the only ones that ranked anywhere (and Koni was the "budget brand" of the bunch). Bilstein ranked fairly high. Tein didn't even make it to the list.

Not that Tein products are bad, but I'd venture to say that Koni and Bilstein make better dampers for our cars. Yet another reason why I prefer a properly matched spring/shock combo over a full coilover system.

However, I'd probably pick the Tein Basic coilovers over any other coilover for a street car. It's one of the few setups that's truly made with street driving in mind. The rest are VERY "race oriented", with aggressive valving and very stiff spring rates. They CAN be driven on the street... but if you're not going to be racing your car on a track, where these things will be of most use, what's the point? Get something that will give you comfortable, predictable handling on everyday roads.

Comment

Working...
                              X