brake upgrade help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake upgrade help

Ok guy i would like to know.what is.the best brake upgrade for my cb and what alll i need im.going to jy on sunday im sure i.will find my upgrade there please help me out with detail

Well I got Acura RL calipers...I guess that's the biggest OEM brake upgrade you can do. You have to go five lug with the AV6 knuckles, get the 350z/G35 Brembo rotors, and a custom bracket from a member on v6performance. It pretty much all bolts in after that.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Since I'm positive you haven't begun to search for your answer yourself I'll get you started. Just know that you should always search first and not ask to be spoon-fed.

First, you should decide whether you will ever want to go 5-lug or if you'd prefer to stay 4-lug. This decision should be based on wheel choices and appearance. There is no performance benefit to a 5-lug hub.

If you're staying 4-lug, determine if you want to go through the expense of converting to rotor over hub versus hub over rotor. This will make changing pads a lot easier than the design we got. There is considerable involvement to upgrade to a larger HOR-style rotor just as there is when converting over to ROH, so it's really up to you.

Then determine what your breaking needs are and what your budget will allow. Since you're wanting to shop in the junkyard your likely caliper options will be the larger single-piston caliper found on Accord wagons from '91-'97, the Accord V6 from '95-'02, the '92-'94 Vigor, '93-'96 Prelude Si VTEC, '91-'95 Legend (non-Type II engine), '96-'03 TL, '97-'03 CL V6 and '95-'98 Odyssey(or '96-'99 Isuzu Oasis). There are probably others but that should be enough to get your search started. If you're lucky then you may find a '93-'95 Legend coupe or '94-'95 Legend sedan with the Type II engine which has 2-piston calipers. For all of those you will need caliper brackets that match the thickness of rotor you ultimately choose.

For rotors the '91-'97 Accord wagon, '95-'97 Accord V6, and '97 3.0CL all have 11.1" versions of the factory HOR-style 10.2" rotor. They are all 25mm thick. No hub conversion is required for these rotors but you will have to disassemble the hub and bearing. This video will more or less explain the process:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEDrioMDe1k

If you want to leave the factory-sized rotor but convert to ROH, you'll need parts from the '98-'99 2.3CL and to follow along with this write-up by HondaFan81:
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=17795

That thread will also be beneficial if you want to upgrade to a larger 4-lug rotor that's the ROH style. The '98-'99 3.0CL rotor for that matter.

There's tons more information to consider but I'm tired of explaining. Search for topics related to caliper brackets, 5-lug conversions, etc.

If you don't want to upgrade the rotor at all then just grab the large single-piston and two 23T caliper brackets and you'll be good. If you can't find 23T caliper brackets then order '93-'96 Prelude Si VTEC caliper brackets from www.rockauto.com.

***Edited to remove models listed as having 25mm thick rotors.
      Last edited by Jarrett; 08-10-2012, 09:22 PM.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
        Well I got Acura RL calipers...I guess that's the biggest OEM brake upgrade you can do. You have to go five lug with the AV6 knuckles, get the 350z/G35 Brembo rotors, and a custom bracket from a member on v6performance. It pretty much all bolts in after that.
        i've been thinking about upgrading to the rl calipers. did you use 2005 350z 12.6" or 12.8" in rotors? also which bracket did you use? the one made for 7th gen accords by NVA-AV6 in the thread? or did he have to make you different brackets for the cb7?
        http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...n-7th-gen.html

Comment

It's next to impossible to find a 2.3CL around my area. I have never seen one, much less the ROH. Buying new is not an option for me right now.

Comment

Originally posted by PhatAccord View Post
            i've been thinking about upgrading to the rl calipers. did you use 2005 350z 12.6" or 12.8" in rotors? also which bracket did you use? the one made for 7th gen accords by NVA-AV6 in the thread? or did he have to make you different brackets for the cb7?
            http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...n-7th-gen.html
            The 12.8" rotors. As long as you get the 2000 accord v6 knuckles, everything else fits because the bracket was made for that car. The only thing i had to do was grind down the caliper studs that were touching my rim. But other than that, they slam your face into the dash

Yeah I did buy them from NVA-AV6. You can PM him to get purchase info.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
              The 12.8" rotors. As long as you get the 2000 accord v6 knuckles, everything else fits because the bracket was made for that car. The only thing i had to do was grind down the caliper studs that were touching my rim. But other than that, they slam your face into the dash

Yeah I did buy them from NVA-AV6. You can PM him to get purchase info.
              nice. but when i went 5 lug, i took the odyssey route w/ legend calipers. do you think i'd still be able to use the same setup for rl brakes? thanx for the help and info

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                For rotors the '95-'97 Accord V6, '92-'94 Vigor and '96-'98 2.5TL all have 11.1" versions of the factory HOR-style 10.2" rotor. They are all 25mm thick.
                That's incorrect. The Vigor, TL and Accord V6 use 23mm thick rotors. Only the wagon uses the 25T rotors.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Well I know for a fact that the 3.0CL uses 25mm rotors and has a 25mm bracket so that's why assumed for the rest.

Also the rotor part number for both the '94-'97 wagon and '95-'97 V6 are the same thing:
                  45251-SM5-A00 which is a 25mm thick 11.1" captive rotor. It's the same thing as a '97 3.0CL.

You're right on the TL, though and I should have been able to deduce as much as I have 3.2TL knuckles next to that use a 23mm rotor, albeit a 5-lug ROH style.
                  Last edited by Jarrett; 08-10-2012, 09:16 PM.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Ok so i should do wagon rotor with caliber and braket the would better set up

Comment

We're not going to tell you what you should do. This forum serves as a source of information so that users like you can read and ingest that information and make their own decisions based on their own opinions, goals, budgets and know-how.

If you're just looking for the cheapest way possible to upgrade the brakes then ensure that rotor surfaces are within spec and just get a good set of pads and properly bleed the system. Larger diameter rotors, multiple-piston calipers and vented discs will do hardly anything at all if you're clamping down on crappy economy pads.

Comment

Originally posted by h22-accord View Post
                        The best OEM setup without having to mod anything would be Legend GS/LS 2 piston calipers and Wagon rotors with Wagon 25T brackets.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by PhatAccord View Post
                          nice. but when i went 5 lug, i took the odyssey route w/ legend calipers. do you think i'd still be able to use the same setup for rl brakes? thanx for the help and info
                          I would think as long as you can fit the accord v6 caliper, you can use the bracket

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

ok, thanx for all the help and info.

Comment

Originally posted by h22-accord View Post
                              You should do nothing.

First, tell us why you need bigger rotors.

Before you sink money into POTENTIAL stopping power, you need to consider this.

Tires are the weakest link in the cars ability to stop. Next is suspension.

You also do not need specific rotors from certain cars, all you need is lug pattern, height, and thickness to be correct. You can have rotors custom drilled by adams. Bear in mind they must be a stock rotor from any car, which will be drilled to your specifications. No need to get new hubs just to get a larger rotor, f that. New hubs mean new rims, which means new tires. Save money and order what you need from them while getting slots machined in there too.

I've done tons of research on brakes, suspension, rims, tires, etc. And if you upsize rotors it costs alot to do it right. A more worthwhile mod would be suspension and wider stickier tires first. Then you can decide if modifying the most important system of your car is worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X