Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New shocks; spring replacement worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New shocks; spring replacement worth it?

Finally out of new user jail

My 91 LX on all OEM everything underneath is in dire need of a suspension refresh. Quite bouncy and floaty, vibratey due to a CV axle, etc.

I'm looking at ordering a set of the Koni STR.T oranges as my somewhat spirited commute (long twisty rural highways) will really benefit from them + adding a rear sway.
    My question is: it worth replacing the springs as well or do I reuse my original springs? If so, should I just get OEM equivalent springs from RockAuto or find a slightly stiffer spring? I am NOT looking to lower the car at all!

The megathread is not useful to me because they are all lowering springs. This is not a race car, this is a highway commuter where I have to straddle random 2x4's in the road at 60mph lol.

I haven't heard that coil springs typically wear out and I do not have rust issues. I feel like the rear springs sag slightly but that may just be the 150ish lb of subwoofer + tool kits I typically carry with me and I'm imagining things. At the same time it feels bad to be putting 33 year old springs on brand new shocks.

"At the same time it feels bad to be putting 33 year old springs on brand new shocks."

Listen to your brain.... 

​​​​​​​replace both.

Comment

yeah... i realistically knew that was the answer but I felt like I needed to ask anyway. Thanks raf!

Comment

Don't cheap out on brakes, wheels/tires, suspension or steering components. Not worth the tow job (nevermind your life).

Comment

What vendor are you guys using?

I need to replace springs and shocks, was hoping to find bilstiens but konis would be fine. Or KYB. Looking for stock ride height.

Eibach springs with bilstiens?

Eibach with koni?

​​​​​Figure I will get the rubber spring perch and / or insulators at the dealer if they have them. Will see what's all there when I pull them apart.

Comment

Looking at eibachs website and they no longer offer springs for the 90-97 Accord.

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornHondaSE View Post
              What vendor are you guys using?

I need to replace springs and shocks, was hoping to find bilstiens but konis would be fine. Or KYB. Looking for stock ride height.

Eibach springs with bilstiens?

Eibach with koni?

​​​​​Figure I will get the rubber spring perch and / or insulators at the dealer if they have them. Will see what's all there when I pull them apart.
              Koni is basically the only "oem+" upgrade strut path left.

I put Lesjöfors springs from RockAuto on my konis. They're OEM spring rate in the front and, idk, maybe 10ish % stiffer in the rear as they are "cargo springs". Feels fine, definitely a lot better response.
              Last edited by SaddleMtnMan; 05-27-2024, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Cool thanks for the info.

Never heard of those springs before... Are they French or Spanish?

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornHondaSE View Post
                  Cool thanks for the info.

Never heard of those springs before... Are they French or Spanish?
                  Swedish, actually! They've been making springs since like 1852... i've had no problem with mine and the coatings are tough.

Comment

Ah ok interesting, thanks.

Comment

SaddleMtnMan, did you ever purchase a new suspension set up?

I'm looking to get this going and I need a set of springs.

​​​​​which brand springs are quality? For stock ride height....

Comment

Working...
                      X