ITR Rims....Should I Paint 'Em Black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITR Rims....Should I Paint 'Em Black?

Yah, as you can see in my sig or may have seen in my Member's Rides, I have Frost White CB with '96 ITR's. Now I'm not too big on flashy "look at me and my hot car" kinna stuff. I wanna keep it more low key. I do think the rims suit the car well, but I think that I would rather have them gunmetal or darker. Would this be a sacreligious thing to do?; Tamper with the Championship White finish? That's what makes them ITR's IMO! So I'm thinking of getting some gunmetal rim paint and painting them myself, do a nice job and call it a day. I just don't want them to look like shit. And I guess I could always have them restored to their original Championship beauty later on. What do you guys think?

Steve

keep it the way it is man, dont change the way they look, if it is fine now why fock with it??
    <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

well i'd prolly like it more if i had like...a black car or something. but with the white on white, sometimes it seems too flashy when i look at it. but other times i like how it looks. i just don't wanna look all "boy racer" with my car. wanna keep it pretty stock looking.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathFromAbove
        Tamper with the Championship White finish? That's what makes them ITR's IMO!
        my thoughts exactly.

but if you do end up defacing them, keep in mind that the resale value tends to drop significantly.

Comment

if your gonna paint it black or something jus rock steelies stock look u want and cheap, dont ruin nice rims cuz of that, car looks good, but hay what do i know huh aint my car.
          <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

by resale value dropping significantly, you'd be reffering to me trying to sell them while being black or whatever right? cause if i sold them, i'd imagine i'd repaint them white which would make them better condition than now, as there are some chips and oxidization stains. thanks for the input so far.

Comment

Originally posted by k-mart
              my thoughts exactly.

but if you do end up defacing them, keep in mind that the resale value tends to drop significantly.

you also didn't include the fact that you can not get the championship white paint anymore from honda... make your own, yes. but get it from honda, no.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_el
                you also didn't include the fact that you can not get the championship white paint anymore from honda... make your own, yes. but get it from honda, no.
                i'm with him.

Comment

paint em black! as a guy who has the..umm dont know what color...the dark champagne color, with black rims it looks gorgeus but black on white iuno but i freakin LOVE black rims..IMO there the best
                  92 CB7 *Sold $3300 102K Miles 4 door LX

94 Del Sol *Baught $3300 80K Miles on chasis
                  and 60K miles on b18b1 motor swap

Comment

hmmmm. what if some acura dealers around here have some lying around left over or something? like what does a guy do if he crashes his teggyr and gets it all fixed at honda? and doesn't the rsx-s still come on champ white? or is that just some other creamy white? if i did repaint them with remixed white, who would know it wasn't from honda anyway? and it'd still be a better paintjob that the current state their in, however original and real honda the paint might be.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathFromAbove
                      hmmmm. what if some acura dealers around here have some lying around left over or something? like what does a guy do if he crashes his teggyr and gets it all fixed at honda? and doesn't the rsx-s still come on champ white? or is that just some other creamy white? if i did repaint them with remixed white, who would know it wasn't from honda anyway? and it'd still be a better paintjob that the current state their in, however original and real honda the paint might be.
                      first things first, they're you're wheels, and it's irrelevant to me what color you paint them. of course it begs the question, why did you ask in the first place? but of course we're where were at now because you did ask. but i digress.

as recent as 6 months ago, when i was still in georgia, and i knew 2 people with itr wheels (k-mart, and vtecaccord who since sold his car to jdmcb7 who sold his car to fizzbob7 aka rickyduckworth) and another with ctr wheels (f22a), and they tried to get them refinished at the dealership, they couldn't secondary to the paint being out. they were told that the paint was no longer in stock at honda, and wasn't readily available in the u.s.

last i remembered, rsx wheels aren't/weren't championship white, but rather silver/machined silver. add to that, it's my understanding that the championship white wheels are jdm. perhaps there were some available for the itr in the u.s., but i would assume that they weren't that popular if they were optional for u.s. itr's.

you can get the wheels painted white again, but doing championship white is difficult, from my understanding, secondary to getting the color exactly right- one of the additives has to be just right, most people can't get it right, and it ends up looking just a little more yellow than it should. for comparison, put a frost white white next to championship white, and you'll see the difference.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

hmmm, i sees what you're saying. i wasn't saying the rsx-s wheels came in white. i was talking about the car itself.....can't i just use car paint? basically, the only reason i haven't already painted black is because of what they are and i'm not sure sure if i wanna tamper with the rims. i won't buy other rims just to have them dark, but i'm not sure if i wanna deface (as was the term used earlier) them. if i keep them white, it's only because they're itr's, and not because i like it.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_el
                          for comparison, put a frost white white next to championship white, and you'll see the difference.
                          i see a huge diff. between both the colors
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

yeah, i can see the difference, as my car is frost white. the rims certainly are creamier. maybe it's just american honda places that don't got none left.....maybe i'll get lucky up here.

Comment

Well I would say not to paint them cause I'm painting mine if I keep my car white. Hell I think they would look good flat black. And if thats what you want to do... dont let anyone tell you not to do it.
                              Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
                              registration is free

Comment

Working...
                              X