daily driver /race setup 15s vs 17s ..40 vs 45 vs 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by azian21485
    reread this comment and explain to me how this compares shocks to tires please
    i thought what i posted was clear enough.. it was a reply to what you posted saying "wheel and tire setup is SO much more important than suspension." don't recall anything being said about shocks being compared to tires
    i'm just trying to point out that a suspension upgrade IS more important and should come first before a wheel/tire upgrade...thats all.
    5.6L V8 32V DOHC
    JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

If you want to be faster, you upgrade the most important things in a car first...you don't work backwards - well you can if you want...but it doesn't make sense
      I agree. But putting great tires on an under-performing suspension is like trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. On that I think we agree --- so why make tires the first upgrade?

comparing those cars that have different suspension geomtries, weight, weight distribution, suspension condition, different rim widths, different tires, and i can keep going on...are like comparing apples to oranges
      If you're referring to my comments on the Civic and Prelude ... those were analogies. I wasn't comparing them to each other nor to an Accord. You missed my main point --- that a really good suspension allowed average tires to shine.

you can keep your shitty stock tires and put on a $7000 moton suspension and I bet you $1,000,000,000 i'll be faster than you with 15x9's on 225/45/15 hoosiers with a stock suspension
      How nice of you to place your bet knowing you'd have the setup that's better matched and therefore likely more capable.

you tune your entire suspension based merely on your tires and nothing else...think about that and tell me what is more important
      On the track, where the tires (restricted by rules perhaps) and race course are known entities, sure. But show me the street car (which is what this thread is about, yes?) that doesn't need to perform under a much wider variety of conditions and work well with a wide variety of tires. If what you say is true it would be vital for each of us to only use a certain suspension for a certain tire.

Show me the threads that begin, "Hey guys, I just got Tire X. What should I do to my suspension?"
      Last edited by deckeda; 10-13-2005, 09:18 PM.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

sigh...you sound like some highschool teenie bopper...oh well
        well ...unfortunately while i was in afghanistan and iraq...i was gone for four years....i rode in a humvee.... i never had a car in hs like some of these fortunate kids on here............so while i was out dodgin mortars and shit..you were driven that ugly ass 5th generation accord...dont ever call me a teenie bopper again! ill put trademarks around your eyes son.

im catchin up so be easy. i dont have that knowledge base like some of you guys do on here about automobiles..im playing catch up. i dont come into your threads and knock your shit...please dont come into my shit and knock me....PSA #! ..thank you.

btw...man you guys are some thread jackers....

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
          ... btw...man you guys are some thread jackers....
          That's because we answered you a long time ago and have moved on to better things. Your thread was just lying around, not being put to good use and so it got picked up.

(um, I'm kidding. Sorta.)
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
            i thought what i posted was clear enough.. it was a reply to what you posted saying "wheel and tire setup is SO much more important than suspension." don't recall anything being said about shocks being compared to tires
            i'm just trying to point out that a suspension upgrade IS more important and should come first before a wheel/tire upgrade...thats all.
            "MORE THAN ANY OTHER COMPONENT, SHOCKS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR GOOD TIRE TO ROAD CONTACT."

this quote explains that shocks are the most important component for good tire to road contact..which i totally agree with. However, it does not say shocks are the most important component nor does it say suspension is more important than tires...so i don't know why you posted the quote, that's all
            For Sale:
            itr mid pipe = $80 + shiping
            tr injen sri $80 + shipping

(2) Eibach ERS 600x2.5x600 = $80shipped in US

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
              How nice of you to place your bet knowing you'd have the setup that's better matched and therefore likely more capable.
              I wouldn't know if it's better matched. What i do know, is that tires are the only component of the car that touches the ground, therefor is the FINAL component that determines how much grip you have. If suspension is really more important than tires, then a car equipped with one of the best shocks money can buy should be able to be faster than a car with stock suspension (a shitty one at that) that is equipped with better tires right?

i chose motons vs. hoosiers because they are both the top companies at what they do..it lets you compare things easier
              For Sale:

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
                On the track, where the tires (restricted by rules perhaps) and race course are known entities, sure. But show me the street car (which is what this thread is about, yes?) that doesn't need to perform under a much wider variety of conditions and work well with a wide variety of tires. If what you say is true it would be vital for each of us to only use a certain suspension for a certain tire.
                a certain suspension is not required for a certain tire. However, you tune your car differently depending on what tire you have. EVERY tire performs better at a different allignment and shock setting
                For Sale:

Comment

well ...unfortunately while i was in afghanistan and iraq...i was gone for four years....i rode in a humvee.... i never had a car in hs like some of these fortunate kids on here............so while i was out dodgin mortars and shit..you were driven that ugly ass 5th generation accord...dont ever call me a teenie bopper again! ill put trademarks around your eyes son.

im catchin up so be easy. i dont have that knowledge base like some of you guys do on here about automobiles..im playing catch up. i dont come into your threads and knock your shit...please dont come into my shit and knock me....PSA #! ..thank you.

btw...man you guys are some thread jackers....
                  1.thank you for serving this country

2. street racing is still stupid, and it doesn't take a knowledge base of any kind to realize why

3. my 5th gen may be ugly to you but has won 2 final consequetive 1st place finishes in its class before my season ended due to funds
                  For Sale:

Comment

sigh...you sound like some highschool teenie bopper...oh well
                    Dude go easy on him, he is trying to learn, just like I was in that other thread. I'm sure you remember that one. Yeah, he is a little cocky, but common....he's 10% through GTA he must be a great driver!

.o2 Coilovers with bad tires will have less grip then stock with hoosiers. The tire in is what puts the power to the ground, and thus would it not be the limiting factor?

- Zipcreature
                    Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

ANYWAY... imho the wheel gap will not look right on 15s with anything under a 55 profile. Just use the right tire pressure. Ya gotta keep style in mind brutha..! like you said it is a street car and not an ugly-ass autocrosser

Check out Uncle_el's setup... it is truly optimized for street performance, weight savings, and happens to look good too.

hold on to your butts

Comment

well thanks for the help in this thread...uncle el...azian 21485....who ever i didnt mention.... i will use this thread as a future reference.

i decided im gonna go with
                        16'' rotaz slipstreams..with 215/ 50/ 16 Z-rated tires...i feel im getting weight reduction with slipstreams..and providing enough tread to take on pot holes if i hit one by accident... just installed megan strut bars fu..and ru..

thanks for the info peepz!!

i got no beef with you azian...why did you take your 5th gen off your sig???...if you rep 5th gens than keep it up on there....you know people are gonna knock you on this site cuz we luv the 4th genz...and hate civics and 5th genz....J/P ...payce out.

Comment

well thanks for the help in this thread...uncle el...azian 21485....who ever i didnt mention.... i will use this thread as a future reference.

i decided im gonna go with
                          16'' rotaz slipstreams..with 215/ 50/ 16 Z-rated tires...i feel im getting weight reduction with slipstreams..and providing enough tread to take on pot holes if i hit one by accident... just installed megan strut bars fu..and ru..

thanks for the info peepz!!

i got no beef with you azian...why did you take your 5th gen off your sig???...if you rep 5th gens than keep it up on there....you know people are gonna knock you on this site cuz we luv the 4th genz...and hate civics and 5th genz....J/P ...payce out.
                          the host site for the pictures is having problems with the photogallery...it comes and goes
                          For Sale:

Comment

Working...
                          X