H swap runs then dies after a minute or so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H swap runs then dies after a minute or so

Just got the rebuilt H22A1 in the car and got all of the leaks worked out. Now when I let it sit overnight, it starts right up runs great for about a minute or 2, then shuts off. After it shuts off, if I try to restart it, it just cranks and cranks. I just replaced the main relay and no change whatsoever. I'm hearing the fuel pump come on when I turn the key, but I don't have a fuel pressure tester to check pressure.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss...
    Originally posted by Junior Smurff
    Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

What tune-up items were done at the time of the swap? Did you do a fuel filter of cap and rotor? Did you change the timing belt?

If none of those are the culprit you could have a bad ignitor. Do you have a spare distributor you could use to test that out?
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Make sure you map sensor is good and you tps is connected. I have an extra f22 dizzy around if you need an ignitor.
      2013 Honda Fit Sport Alabaster Silver Metallic GE8
      2013 Accord Sport Modern Steel Metallic CR2

CB9 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=hostile
      CR2 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=197787
      GE8 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199289

Comment

I would check the fuel pressure first it seems to me that your not getting enough fuel. Check for spark by leaving a screw driver in the sparkplug wire and have someone check to see if they can see spark.

As for fuel get a fuel pressure guage and check for that too. It could be that your pump is on the way out. Clogged injectors can do that too as you sure you changed your fuel filter they get dirty too the one thats on the firewall.

Comment

The swap was done years ago, but the H that was in it crapped out on me. This is a completely rebuilt H22A1 (new pistons, rings, bearings, oil pump, water pump, timing belt, seals and gaskets). The distributor is a fairly new one. The ignitor went out in it last summer, so I replaced the distributor and it ran fine until the motor crapped out in Feb. I also changed the fuel filter while I had the motor out of the car.

I was thinking fuel, but I don't have the tester and I wasn't sure if I should buy one. If I have to replace the pump, I'm gonna go with the Walbro unit. I may have a spare MAP sensor to try. Maybe I'll try that tonight...

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

i know you probably shouldnt be doing this but remember when floyd's car would die and only stay running cranked? turned out to be the ignition switch?
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

No, it's not the ignition switch... I do remember that! It ran twice today. Once for about 26 seconds, then again for about 18 seconds. After it ran the 2nd time and it wouldn't restart, I checked for spark from the coil and there wasn't any spark. So now I'm looking for the receipt for the distributor that I bought from Autozone last summer so I can try to exchange it.

Comment

honda icm all the way! hostile/jesse bought one from autozone or a parts store and it immediately failed.

internal or ext coil? do you have a test light? you can check if the icm if it is grounding the coil but just warranty the whole distributor and buy a honda icm and keep it as back up.
                I <3 G60.

Comment

I would check for spark if you got spark your good just do the screwdriver in the sparkplug trick to check for the electric spark if you got that your good. Then I would move on to fuel change the fuel filter on the firewall or just check it then change the pump.

I think your pump is taking a crap on you.. Wait a minute check your cap and rotor too does it have alot of orange shit in there or is it melted take it off and inspect. Usually when its got that orange shit in there that means its on its way to the fail station.

Comment

dude seriously, did you read any of the posts?
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                      honda icm all the way! hostile/jesse bought one from autozone or a parts store and it immediately failed.

internal or ext coil? do you have a test light? you can check if the icm if it is grounding the coil but just warranty the whole distributor and buy a honda icm and keep it as back up.
                      I remember that lol. Doesn't hurt to take it back and getting it replaced. I remember I took mine back and they exchanged it by looking it up with my name and phone number.
                      2013 Honda Fit Sport Alabaster Silver Metallic GE8
                      2013 Accord Sport Modern Steel Metallic CR2

CB9 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=hostile
                      CR2 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=197787
                      GE8 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199289

Comment

Originally posted by Hostile View Post
                        I remember that lol. Doesn't hurt to take it back and getting it replaced. I remember I took mine back and they exchanged it by looking it up with my name and phone number.
                        :SIGH: so did it work?

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post

The test light is how I diagnose no spark on distributor cars at work. Pretty much a fool proof way.

Comment

I called Autozone and they found me in their system, so I'm going to exchange the distributor after work today. Then we'll see if it stays running for more than a minute or 2...

Comment

Autozone swapped out the the distributor, no problem! Put the new one in the car and it fired right up. Hasn't died since. Idled to temp, then idled for another 15 minutes to bed in the new crank bearings (recommended by Helm manual). Set timing to 15* and drove it around the block (the first time it has moved since late February), but no speedo... Changed out the speed sensor (just the top half) and drove around the block again. Speedo works and so does VTEC!

Comment

Working...
                              X