Synchrotech Built Trans vs. OE LSD Trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synchrotech Built Trans vs. OE LSD Trans

I'm considering getting the funds together this month to buy a built trans from Synchrotech. The cost is about 2k I believe. I currently have the long geared H2U5 open diff. So I'm wondering from those with road racing experience with the Prelude transmissions, is the MFactory LSD, carbon synchros, and polished gears trans that much better from a JDM/EDM spec LSD trans? Because I would save about 1000 dollars going with an OEM trans. That extra money could be used towards other things like a new radiator, traction bar, and a slew of other things. I have a track day at Gratton in a few months with my coworkers and shorter gears and an LSD would really make the difference on the car. Keep in mind I'm not as concerned with lap times as I am with the joy because I don't want to have to buy another trans if I decide the OE setup isn't up for the job.

Thanks guys.
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Synchrotech just got back to me, 2495 for a built trans. Now I really wondering what advantages it would have over an OE SiR trans or similar.

Comment

Syncrotech specializes in building transmissions for high powered engines but seeing as your going to track your car, using an OEM LSD transmission would be just fine if anything you can even have the LSD trans rebuilt for a better peace of mind.

The OEM T2T4 transmission has shorter gears and LSD
      Last edited by Davids92Accord; 07-03-2014, 03:12 PM.

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
      "2SIIC"
      Authentic Jerseys for sale
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

Well I heard a quote from somewhere else about it costing 1800 with a good core. So if I can find an OE one for 800 ish and I want to rebuild it later I'll basically break even ish. Especially if I can get a decent price for the trans I have right now.

Comment

I'm bumping this thread because I am in a similar situation.

I want an M2B4 with the custom 1st gear some of us were considering group buying from Synchrotech plus an Accord 5th gear and carbon synchros. I originally wanted to spend the money so that it was all new equipment, because I figured most M2B4's for sale that I could find would be thrashed and not worth the time and money needed to rebuild them for a drag racing beating. If people on here have had different experiences, it would be awesome if you could share.
          *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
          ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
          ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
          "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
          The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
          Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

The way it's looking for me I'm just going to get an OE trans. I do need the shorter gears and a VLSD is better than no LSD. I can upgrade next season when I have more money.

Comment

I can upgrade next season when I have more money.
              I maybe wrong, but I thought you can't upgrade those factory LSD equipped trannys with an aftermarket LSD. The factory LSD and housings are larger. So, you also wouldn't be able to upgrade to an aftermarket FD.

Again, I maybe wrong. I haven't done the research on those trannys yet. But it would suck not having the aftermarket LSD and FD support that the open diff trannys have.

Comment

The modification to get them to work can be expensive. But I could sell the trans I have now without much loss in cost and upgrade later. There are a bunch of options, but I don't think I need to go big on a trans right now.

Comment

There are a bunch of options, but I don't think I need to go big on a trans right now.
                  That was my thinking for your car. With that f22 tranny, you have yet to see a true glimpse of your H22 full potential. Having an LSD is gravy but you really just need a H22 tranny for now, preferably a rebuilt one. But who knows you may get lucky with a used tranny.

Dropping in a LSD in a tranny isn't that hard. Changing gears, sleeves and synchros is a lot easier than you think.

Comment

Can you get hold of the U2Q7 Accord type R gearbox over there? Thats one of the shortest gearing, with a LSD. You can pick them up used with no synco issues for about £450 ($770)

I have the M2A4, which is one of the longer H22a gearboxes and no LSD. I find that really the only time it a pain in the ass is low speed hairpins corners where I drop out of Vtec and a bit of inside wheel spin up.

You can pretty much eradicate the need for LSD if you stiffen up the rear antiroll bar, keeps that inner front wheel planted.

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
                    UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
                    NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

I'm not looking for the shortest gearbox, just a shorter one. And regardless of driving style or vehicle setup, 2 wheel power is always better than one.

Comment

Working...
                      X