• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is promising news...good work shawn
    Honda-Tech Username: Lostcb7
    The cb7tuner.com OG.

Comment

That is one of the great things about the K series. The only difference is the engine blocks. The K24 obviously has a longer stroke, necessitating a longer block, but other than that, they are all interchangable. I even think they can share pistons, which means really the deck height, crank and rods are the only functional differences.

There are two head versions, the "economy" version that only has VTEC and VTC on the intake cam with a standard exhaust cam, and the "performance" version which has VTEC on both cams and VTC on the intake cam. The port/ combustion chamber design on the "performance" version is significantly better though.

You can pretty much drum up any combination of parts you can think of. Honda pretty much already has.

Civic SI - "economy" head, K20 Block, balance shafts in the crank case, long runner small plenum intake for better torque (I think that is the IM)

CRV/Accord - "economy" head, K24 block, balance shafts, large plenum intake

RSX Type S - "performance" head, K20 block, no balance shafts, I beleive this is also the small plenum manifold (surprisingly) The O5 and up also has bigger cams in it

TSX - "performance" head, K24 block, balance shafts, large plenum manifold.

New Civic SI - "performance" head, balance shafts, K20 block large plenum manifold, and RSX K20Z1 (05+ Type S) cams.

It is really staggering how they have spread this engine family through the Honda line-up.

That is good for the tuner because most of these parts will become relatively common in the next few years.

With the flow limit of the STOCK (cams only) "performance" head somewhere north of 300WHP, and with only bolt ons and tuning the new SI seems to be hard to keep below 250WHP, it is safe to say that we are about to enter a VERY fun time in Honda tuning.

Damn! Now I want a K series.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

me too! but I'm still thinking that it'll be at least 6-7K to get one of these running in a CB7... I just cant seem to justify that much money for 200-210 hp at the crank.
        OS^e
        1993 Honda Accord LX Coupe

My Members Ride's Thread

StickyDilJoe: "JDM may be a fad, but making your car look like shit... thats forever"

Comment

NAAAAAAAAH H22 or F22 all-motor build for me...$6K???? I'd rather just get a faster stock car. The only way to justify it (which is indeed possible) is to get a 160hp K24, and then get a performance IM and some cams to open it up. I'm pretty sure there are cams for the EPSi 2.0L, which means there are cams for the big dog K24...plus, since the EPSi K20 and the regular K24 both make 160HP, I imagine an EPSi head on a K24 block would make more power...somewhere in the neighborhood of 190HP.

In any case, a K24 swap with a tranny costs about the same as an H22 w/a tranny, but it will open up a hell of a lot more with mods. It'll be a while before the DC5R swap becomes financially feasible, but until then we still have our old engines and the 'humdrum' K24. Time will tell I guess.

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

i shoulda bought one of these k24s that where being sold locally for 750 new with out tranny.. suck..
            H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Yeah, the price is still too high, but the engine has only been around since the first year of the RSX, so it will be a little while yet.

There are also some disadvantages to it too. The K24 has such a long stroke, that you can't rev them much above 7,000 routinely or you start to spin rod bearings and what not. That is a major problem because that means you basically have to destroke it if you want to rev it. I know the H22 crank can be made run the timing chain, but it is a real PITA. Hytech has done that, and I imagine it is only a matter of time before someone makes a "de stroker" kit.

The other disadvantage is that the K series rod bearings are a little on the small side, so even the K20 (which is square) will start spinning bearings above 8500. Again, some have machined the K20 crank to use H22 rod bearings because they are just about the ideal size. NASCAR even uses them.

But when you look at the kind of HP increases they are seeing on the "performance" head without increasing the revs, it is really amazing. 50-70 WHP with an intake, exhaust, re-chipped ECU (around 1/2 of the total) and a mild set of cams. No real room to argue there.

The crappy heads are still pretty decent too, but they won't see the increases the good K series heads will.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Eh- I'd be very fine with ~200 crank hp/tq from the CB. That's a mid 14-sec car dude!!! Plus it's still technically DOHC VTEC...and it would look fucking sick in the CB engine bay either way.

Going with the H22 crank would be A LOT BETTER than getting a K20A, because the rod/stroke ratio is sooooo much better for revving, and you still have more torque than a K20A would. I think you'd essentially have a K22 with the potential to scream...it would work very nicely, even with the 'crap' head. I just don't know if it would clear the hood.

Originally posted by lordoja
                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

doesnt the engine sit behind the axles? now that would be alot better for weight distribution . . .

motion for sticky?
                  -Mark-
                  CB7
                  CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                  Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

who all has ridden in a k20 powered car? my boy has a type s in his ek and its wicked bad... i've driven it too but i didn't really want to get on it... oh yea... h22 cranks are bad too

SOLD!

Comment

my bud just swapped the jdm k20 from the teggy type r into his 02 rsx. 220 at the crank, lsd, 6 speed, it's the shit. but comparatively. i spent maybe 8500 CAD$ on my car as opposed to his 30 000. i think i got good bang for buck with a nice and easy h22 swap. it's plenty enough to freak people out when they get mashed by an old family car.

Comment

the H22 crank is good to almost 9K
                        OS^e
                        1993 Honda Accord LX Coupe

My Members Ride's Thread

StickyDilJoe: "JDM may be a fad, but making your car look like shit... thats forever"

Comment

Originally posted by shawn.hayden
                          the H22 crank is good to almost 9K

i meant bad as in good

otherwise one wouldn't be sitting somewhere in the depths of my motor

SOLD!

Comment

i want an update, according to the OP hasport should have these mounts out by now.

Comment

I dont get it why spend that much on just a motor and tranny with probabaly no ecu. And then you gotta buy all this custom shit to make sure it runs right and most shops wont even know how to handle it. And probably fuck it up so that they can be like you dont need it anymore so just sell it to us so we can put it into a civic. For that much spend you can have the same amount of power by building the h22 or f22 boost the shit out of both of them or juice the shit out of both of them. Point blank and would have probably spent less in the long run

Comment

Originally posted by DeathFromAbove
                                my bud just swapped the jdm k20 from the teggy type r into his 02 rsx. 220 at the crank, lsd, 6 speed, it's the shit. but comparatively. i spent maybe 8500 CAD$ on my car as opposed to his 30 000. i think i got good bang for buck with a nice and easy h22 swap. it's plenty enough to freak people out when they get mashed by an old family car.
                                thats the spirit why pay more unless its neccessary. Its just not worth goin all out. And it snot offten done and parts are harder to find compared to an h22

Comment

Working...
                                X