H23A (vtec) info....anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H23A (vtec) info....anyone?

So Ive been seeing the blue top H23a vtec engines for sale and i would like to know a little bit more about them (more thats on the "swap page"). On some sites ive seen them having 200hp and yet on some others ive heard them having 220-230hp. Which on is it? Also is the head exactly like an H22's? exhaust/intake ports? Also is it open/close deck? Ive been searchin all over the net and most of the searches only lead me to a H23/H22 frank

*I guess all i really want to know is if it just a bigger sized H22?

i think the bores are the same just has a longer stroke
    new ride
    07 cobalt ss/sc

Comment

yep, its a stroked out H22a, essentially an H23a with the H22 VTEC head

200PS, 220Nm.. not 230hp/ps

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
      Honda Accord Euro-R
      Honda Odyssey Absolute
      Honda City I-DSi
      Honda Stream

Comment

I'm sure it's open deck. The H22s of that time were open deck.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
          I'm sure it's open deck. The H22s of that time were open deck.
          Its closed deck.

Its the factory version on the H23/H22 Frankenstein.

Comment

Are you sure? They didn't make the usual H23 in the years that they made the H23 VTEC, and the H22s of those years were open deck to improve cylinder cooling... I'd think they'd have changed all designs to open...

Comment

Are you sure? They didn't make the usual H23 in the years that they made the H23 VTEC, and the H22s of those years were open deck to improve cylinder cooling... I'd think they'd have changed all designs to open...
              I actually have seen a H23A (not A1) block that was closed deck. The owner also had the H23A head and valve cover.

The engine FAQ in PT says its open. I believe that the design is based on the year of production.

To OP, the HP output is actually higher than 200ps. There is an example on prelude power, stock exhaust and intake that put out 187whp, 156tq.
              Last edited by KillerCam282; 04-13-2007, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Interesting...

I want to import the AWD wagon that came with it I don't care if it's auto!

Comment

Interesting...

I want to import the AWD wagon that came with it I don't care if it's auto!
                  That can't be fun. No torque going to 4 wheels?

Comment

Yeah... but it'd still be a nice car. Have you seen the 6th gen wagons? Best Accord wagons ever, IMO. Of course, those Japanese bastards kept them for themselves!

Comment

*187whp stock =Damn I think i may put that in my new cb7 that i just bought? So it is in fact an H22 but bigger? or a H23/H22 frank?

So how hard would it be to swap it in? Its obdII does that make a big difference? Ive seen the engine go as low as 1500 plus shipping. Is there a big difference in swppign that and a H22?

Comment

It should be the same as an OBD2 H22... a little extra wiring, but nothing you can't handle. H22 sparkle did it, cp[mike] most likely understands it (I don't recall if he put that engine in the car when Steve had it or not... but no doubt he knows exactly what to do), and a few others as well.

I wouldn't say it's a "frankenstein" motor, since those motors are made by taking parts from different engines and putting them together... while this may be that, it's from the factory, so it doesn't count. The usual issues associated with true franks don't apply to a factory built motor.

No doubt, it's got FRM sleeves, a longer stroke, and maybe a larger bore than the H22... but it's most likely close enough. That 183whp isn't likely to be universal. Some engines make more power than others. It would be nice, and it's possible... but I wouldn't let that sway you. Expect an H22 with a little more torque.

Where can you get it for $1500? That's not a bad price for a fairly uncommon motor! I'd still rather get the H22 swap with the matching trans and ECU for just a little more.

Comment

I like the new one...

DEVOTE

Comment

Theres 3 on ebay right now (huge ebayer), but ive always noticed them from time to time. One of em says 220-230hp?? ...Thats y i asked..

How does the ECU fit into all of this...just a p72(whatever an H22 is)

Brings me to my next question What do you think is better for me.. My new Cb7 is Auto... I dont just want to drop an H22 in. I would rather drop an H23A in because the engine is rare and it has a bit more power,it will stay auto....OR switching to standard and turboing it(stock block)..By my calculations the costs should be almost the same. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by KillerCam282
                              Its closed deck.

Its the factory version on the H23/H22 Frankenstein.

Whats a FRANKENSTEIN?

And yeah i have seen the f20 motor say 220Hp?? i was like damn!

Comment

Working...
                              X