Bottomed out, slightly concerned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottomed out, slightly concerned

Hey everyone, I feel really stupid. I bottomed out earlier, twice, while doing about 30mph. I just moved to a new town, so I'm not familiar with the roads. Apparently, even though I'm in the desert, there are drainage ditches on a long straight stretch of road, which I didn't notice until I was right at them (in my defense, they weren't marked very clearly IIRC). I bottomed out both times, with a nice loud thud. I'm not leaking any more fluids than usual, so I don't think I damaged anything somehow. Is there anything I should look for, in terms of possible damage, that I may have missed? Thanks everybody.

Just get under the car and check your oil pan, thats about the lowest exposed part on the front of the car. What part of the front hit?
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by cjv998 View Post
      I'm not leaking any more fluids than usual
      classic honda

94 GSR | 93 GSR

Comment

Originally posted by JYardBandit View Post
        classic honda
        quoted for truth.

but to answer your question just get under and make sure there arent any crack or whatever on the oil pan and you should be fine.

My Members Ride Thread
        Originally posted by deevergote
        You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

Here is what you do,

Look at the car.

Is the steering wheel straight?
          Are there any leaks?
          Are there any loose panels?
          Are there any abnormal noises after said incident?

If NO to all those then you are fine, I've bottomed out many times, And if you are not leaking anything and your wheel is straight and your wheels are not bent then you are fine.

Comment

there's also a crossmember underthere, so you could just be hitting that. But the first thing I would check is the Downpipe and oilpan for damages.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Thanks everyone. It all seems fine; I still have to get a good look at the oil pan, but it isn't leaking more than usual, so I assume it'll look okay.

I'm just amazed I didn't do any damage, that seems like it's an awful lot of force on the oil pan.

Comment

My front side tow hooks and front center jack point (also center tow hook) usually hit before anything else.....check them for freshly scraped metal because that's probably what hit. And you'd have to hit those points pretty hard to damage something, although bottoming out at all is never the best thing!
                My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

mines lowered. and this one time i bottomed

it hit my crossmember that metal piece that goes from back to front under the tranny
                  no leaks =)

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

my co=worker had an 92 cb and he bottomed out on a man hole, and hit the trans, blew the air bag and hit a wall cuz of the air, bag, but as every one else has posted, check underneath, and inspect, my cb9 is lowered, and i also ahved bottomed out but usually its either the oil pan or the cross member for me

Comment

its not as bad passing by a couple of highschool chicks and then bottoming the front end out on the speed bump
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i bash the shit out of my undercarriage... passengers always flip OH MY GOD IS YOUR CAR OK!?! ahhhh whatever im used to it... its usually the crossmember that hits first, which really doesnt get hurt...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                        X