Prelude Instrument Cluster swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prelude Instrument Cluster swap?

I went to my fav. place in the world today after school, the JY....jk and found this sitting in a wrecked 97 prelude:

Are these difficult to install on our CB7s? I know someone here wrote a DIY on it, but that was for a Type S cluster so idk if that's diff. or not. The one I pulled it off of was a 97 Prelude base model w/ the tiptronic trans. So if I'm auto and this cluster is basically auto, would it be somewhat easier to do?

Also, I was kinda running out of time, as they closed at 5pm today, but would it also be necessary to grab the harness off the prelude? if so I can go back and cut it off.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

i thinks theres a DIY thread but i could be wrong. alot people are startin to do them . i wouldve done it but more peeps are doing them.. a very good upgrade i must say. how much did u get it for?

P.S. get the harness. get as much of it as you can

Comment

Originally posted by oneoffaccord View Post
      i thinks theres a DIY thread but i could be wrong. alot people are startin to do them . i wouldve done it but more peeps are doing them.. a very good upgrade i must say. how much did u get it for?

P.S. get the harness. get as much of it as you can
      oh crap yeah I knew I should've gotten the harness....hopefully it will still be there in good shape on Sunday. I didn't have time to grab it today Is it THAT much more difficult w/o it?

Yeah I wanted to do this b/c of the cool Amber backlighting at night. Plus I've always liked the layout of the cluster, so simplistic and clean looking.

I got it for $30 + tax and today wasn't even half off day either!

member's ride thread
      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

thats a sweeet deal. try finding them on ebay and there money

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
          oh crap yeah I knew I should've gotten the harness....hopefully it will still be there in good shape on Sunday. I didn't have time to grab it today Is it THAT much more difficult w/o it?

Yeah I wanted to do this b/c of the cool Amber backlighting at night. Plus I've always liked the layout of the cluster, so simplistic and clean looking.

I got it for $30 + tax and today wasn't even half off day either!
          When you get the pigtails, go ahead and source an accord cluster for your year and remove the connectors. It will make the swap easier.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
          JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
            When you get the pigtails, go ahead and source an accord cluster for your year and remove the connectors. It will make the swap easier.
            ok will do. But will it still match up? if I get the pigtails off the accord cluster, wont it be male-male on the accord side of the wiring and they won't connect after I wire it all up?

member's ride thread
            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Yoe need the connectors on the cluster itself.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
              JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

this should give you a little bit better of an idea of how most people make a "harness" to install these clusters.
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=50635

youll need the pigtails, unless you have an idea of some other easy way to mate wires up to those flexible wiring sheets on the back

if you pull male plugs from an accord cluster, they will match up to your stock wiring. and then you use the prelude female pigtails, and hook them to the accord plugs, making sure to match them up pin for pin. that way everything will plug right in.

you could always just cut your stock plugs off and wire the prelude pigtails directly, but what if you mess up?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                  this should give you a little bit better of an idea of how most people make a "harness" to install these clusters.
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=50635

youll need the pigtails, unless you have an idea of some other easy way to mate wires up to those flexible wiring sheets on the back

if you pull male plugs from an accord cluster, they will match up to your stock wiring. and then you use the prelude female pigtails, and hook them to the accord plugs, making sure to match them up pin for pin. that way everything will plug right in.

you could always just cut your stock plugs off and wire the prelude pigtails directly, but what if you mess up?
                  oh yeah I see what you're saying. so grab, not the accord ones that unplugged from the cluster, but where they plug into the main engine harness so they'll work w/ the ones on my car. And do the same for the prelude. Yeah that'll take some time. Hopefully it'll all still be there on Sunday, my day off, b/c I can see this taking over 30 min to remove everything carefully and finding another 93 EX from the JY. So there goes the idea of getting on my lunch break tomorrow lol.

hmmmm this actually might take awhile to source the parts. So do I HAVE to grab another 93 EX Coupe wiring harness? or will a 9293 4dr EX one work fine? I'm just nervous about the whole airbag situation not mating up and the extra 2 doors affecting something if I get it from a 4dr.

member's ride thread
                  91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                    oh yeah I see what you're saying. so grab, not the accord ones that unplugged from the cluster, but where they plug into the main engine harness so they'll work w/ the ones on my car. And do the same for the prelude. Yeah that'll take some time. Hopefully it'll all still be there on Sunday, my day off, b/c I can see this taking over 30 min to remove everything carefully and finding another 93 EX from the JY. So there goes the idea of getting on my lunch break tomorrow lol.

hmmmm this actually might take awhile to source the parts. So do I HAVE to grab another 93 EX Coupe wiring harness? or will a 9293 4dr EX one work fine? I'm just nervous about the whole airbag situation not mating up and the extra 2 doors affecting something if I get it from a 4dr.
                    the plugs should match as long as the year matches. the coupes were just missing 2 of the wires from those pins of the harness.

go back, and at least get the prelude plugs with some of their wiring, no matter what you do, that cluster cant be hooked up without them. you could always track down a spare/broken accord cluster to pull green plugs from.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

No more photos?
                      Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
                      93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

Working...
                      X