automatic transmission slips on turns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

automatic transmission slips on turns?

so i did an automatic transmission for a customer and it later complained that it slipped. well, it didnt slip like i expected it to however going into a turn and having it downshift while trying to accelerate out of the turn, it would slip a little bit until you got the vehicle straight.

i put oem fluid like usual and made sure the fluid was topped before i released the vehicle.

things that i changed out:

automatic transmission
    solenoids came with the replacement
    torque converter
    fluid

im going to bring the car into the shop and re check the fluid and condition this weekend. just would like to brainstorm this idea.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Just to clarify, what do you mean by slips?
    1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

First question - What vehicle - Make and model?
      If it only happens when turning, it sound like the pump pickup isn't getting oil, thus the clutch pack losing pressure.
      have you done a pressure test on it yet?
      What gear/s does it happen in?
      Did you check the pump clearances, and install a new filter/strainer?

When you say you "did" an auto trans for a customer, What do you mean - Rebuilt, 2nd hand, new?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

you filled the TC & tranny correctly?

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
        01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
        93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
        93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

used jdm transmission with about 60k mileage.

it slips like how a clutch in a 5 speed slips. i didnt know these automatic transmissions had a filter like under the pan and such. arent these just a fill and drain type? i was dead nuts sure that there was no pan.

i dont have any experience in taking apart the pump or pressure testing it because it is covered under warranty so i aint taking shit apart other than the drain bolt.

92 SE
          I <3 G60.

Comment

lol no they dont have a pan. its internal

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
            01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
            93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
            93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

could it be the torque converter?

Be Clean

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                used jdm transmission with about 60k mileage.

it slips like how a clutch in a 5 speed slips. i didnt know these automatic transmissions had a filter like under the pan and such. arent these just a fill and drain type? i was dead nuts sure that there was no pan.

i dont have any experience in taking apart the pump or pressure testing it because it is covered under warranty so i aint taking shit apart other than the drain bolt.

92 SE
                As i Said previously - What car/trans. Is it a Honda?
                Hondas don't have pans as such, Fill and drain yes, but all trans are fill and drain.

If its under warranty, I would return the box for another one, don't bother wasting the time in diagnosing.

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                lol no they dont have a pan. its internal
                Correct - If its a Honda box.
                For Hondas the box has to be stripped in order to replace the filter/strainer.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I'd say put another trans in it and be done. you and I both know, mos t likely it's the trans.

are there any codes??
                  The beginning of a new era............................
                  165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                  184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

well, the thing is that i dont want to fork the labor because it would be on time im not being paid for.

im just going to check the fluid, and cables, linkages and just let it go.

as for the make and model...i wouldnt be posting it here if it wasnt a cb7, right? thank you come again.

the wierd thing is that my standard slips on turns as well but i can still pull a burnout so my clutch isnt completely gone.
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

Did you properly adust the kick-down cable? If its too loose, then it will flare at slow speeds. definately check this first.
                      00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

I thought this was going to be about a thread about a comparison between auto tranny versus manual tranny and you had time slips of a quarter mile to show... bummer. i have an auto.

edit: add
                        the wierd thing is that my standard slips on turns as well but i can still pull a burnout so my clutch isnt completely gone.
                        there's a clutch for auto trannys???! i'm nub, auto trannys are hardly talked about. are clutches we see on sale the same from manuals??

to make the wheels turn is the contact between clutch and flywheel right? i'm nub so what.

edit: add
                        okay so the journey continues.

i know it's wikipedia, but this seems correct. LINK
                        Automatic transmissions are easy to use. In the past, automatic transmissions of this type have had a number of problems; they were complex and expensive, sometimes had reliability problems (which sometimes caused more expenses in repair), have often been less fuel-efficient than their manual counterparts (due to "slippage" in the torque converter), and their shift time was slower than a manual making them uncompetitive for racing. With the advancement of modern automatic transmissions this has changed.[citation needed]
                        continue readin the wiki, i know it's wiki that has no credibility for it's open public additions, but looks correct right?
                        solve the problem?
                        Last edited by nostringz; 12-23-2008, 06:20 AM.

Be Clean

Comment

I hope you are not describing the operation of a standard/open front transaxle and getting on the gas in a turn will cause the inside wheel to slip? That is natural, unless you have a Honda LSD transaxle.
                          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
                            I hope you are not describing the operation of a standard/open front transaxle and getting on the gas in a turn will cause the inside wheel to slip? That is natural, unless you have a Honda LSD transaxle.
                            nah man, im driving this thing like a grandma.
                            I <3 G60.

Comment

u turn both ways and make sure the splindes in the axels aratn striped,

The Race Car

Comment

Working...
                              X