Accelerating problem PLEASE HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accelerating problem PLEASE HELP

ok so when i drive my car around i go to accelerate or even when keeping a constant speed my car all of a sudden will lose power. It will start slowing down and will not go back to normal till i take my foot off the gas and put it back on. Sometimes i will keep my foot on the gas and you can hear the car trying to work through whatever it is and accelerate again. the only way it will accelerate without taking my foot of the gas it to floor it. it started not to long ago and it would only do it in one gear every now and then. now it does it though every gear all the time. I replaced the spark plugs and wires yesterday and the distributor cap and rotor not to long ago. people were telling me that could be the problem but its still not fixed. WHAT COULD IT BE? PLEASE HELP

vacuum leak? dirty EGR valve? hamsters losing focus out of boredom?

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
      vacuum leak? dirty EGR valve? hamsters losing focus out of boredom?
      how hard would it be to fix either of those?

Comment

5speed eh? im assuming that because you said in one gear any cel's. Whens the last time you had a tune-up. Is your timing on-point? You need to do the following.Change the fuelfilter,and fuel pump. It sounds to me like your either not gettin enough fuel.

And hwen you changed your distributor did you change the ignitor and did you also check inside the distributor for orange dust like rust. Thats an indicator of your shit about to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
          5speed eh? im assuming that because you said in one gear any cel's. Whens the last time you had a tune-up. Is your timing on-point? You need to do the following.Change the fuelfilter,and fuel pump. It sounds to me like your either not gettin enough fuel.

And hwen you changed your distributor did you change the ignitor and did you also check inside the distributor for orange dust like rust. Thats an indicator of your shit about to fail.
          yeah its a 5 speed. well i had my mechanic change the distributor and rotor. he sold me the car after he put another engine in it. he hasnt touched the car since then. ive done the rest of the work but that was only the spark plugs and wires.

I thought it might also be the fuel filter and pump but after reading how to change it i dont think i can do it on my own since you have to do all that stuff to release the fuel pressure and im not sure what to do about tightning it to the corredt torque so i think im gonna take it back to the mechanic for that. This better not fail on me cuz the engine was put in less than a year ago and it was hardly driven when it first got put in.

Comment

ok well one thing i forgot to mention was that my check engine light would come on every once and awhile. not all the time but only usually if i drove above 55 or 60 for a period of time. well this morniing it came on while i was only going about 20. I was gonna have that checked cuz i was stopping by some shops to tell them about my problem but no one could look at it today.

so i remember it came on about 10 min ago and decided to go check it myself. I went and connected those 2 wires and turned the car on and it threw code 43.

and wouldnt you know it code 43 is Fuel supply system. It says the most common problem for this is the fuel pump so hopefully thats all i need replaces.

Where exactly is the fuel pump located on these cars?

Comment

Might be the TPS, it might not be but it's just a thought.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
              "The Turtle"
              DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

it's probably not the fuel pump as those tend to stop working and never work again. kinda sound more like the oxygen sensor. later.
                Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                  it's probably not the fuel pump as those tend to stop working and never work again. kinda sound more like the oxygen sensor. later.

would the oxygen sensor cause the fuel supply system code to be thrown?

Comment

i don't know what code 43 is.

do you mean code 42, because that is fuel system supply. the things for that are, fuel pressure, fuel pressure regulator, oxygen sensor, and vaccum leaks. later.

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=21259

on here it says that 43 is the fuel supply system. there isnt even a 42 on there

Comment

i dunno man, i just go by the repair manual. later.
                        Last edited by TypeG; 12-10-2010, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                          i dunno man, i just go by the repair manual. later.

oh well i counted it about 4 times and i got 43 each time so idk

Comment

Haynes might have a typo....

http://www.accordwagonclub.com/forum...p?f=144&t=5745

Comment

Originally posted by Shag Wagon View Post
                              cant look unless im a member and im to lazy right now to sign up. thanks anyways

Comment

Working...
                              X