CEL 4 After H23 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CEL 4 After H23 Swap

Just as title states got a code 4 which is crank position sensor. I searched the forums and no postings on code 4 so any ideas?
    Jeff

you using a h23 distributor?
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

running H23 dizy casing with f22 internals to keep my internal coil harness. but I think thats the problem. Im not burning the fuel fully either exh mani started to glow when it ends up starting and still have a miss here and there. Im going to swap back to h23 internals and convert to external coil.
      Jeff

Comment

can be the actual, dizzy, or its out of time. Does it kind of crank long when you go to start it? Thats a indication right there you should recheck the timing.
        Previous cb7members ride thread
        86 Nissan d21 in the workshttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=155292

TSM Garage: Honda/Acura, VW/Audi, and Subaru performance and maintenance work.

Comment

when u put the internal coil did u put a fuse on the connector where the external plug should be conected?

also

change back to h23 internals
          or find jdm h22 internals (internal coil) for a more sexier look
          Originally posted by deevergote
          Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

im running the origional 90 wiring harness so it was an internal no etra plugs. Going to swap to h23 internals add my msd sci box and blaster coil been sitting around for years just havent used it lol. now i have a reason to wire it up.

when #1 is at tdc the rotor is pointing to #1 on the cap

i think its ignition, didnt have spark when i first tried to start after the swap and now when i try to crank ill get a hit here and there run for a sec or 2 then cut off and when it finally starts and idles CEL is on as soon as it starts running. and thats for crank position sensor. but not when it runs for a sec or 2 no cel
            Jeff

Comment

so the light comes on and goes off? If thats the case then yea i would swap out the dizzy internals or wire up your other coil and ign setup. But checking timing isn't with the dizzy, Even if thats right on (runs on the exhaust cam) the intake cam can be off a tooth and that will do it, happened to me before. Just pull off the valve cover to look at the marks on the cam gears to make sure its in time.

Comment

changed dizy internals and added other things fired right up and no CEL
                Jeff

Comment

starts fine idles good but went to test drive CEL again and felt like it had no power. Checked it 4 again so adjusted the dizy a little startd it and no CEL. went down the street had power which was good then got a CEL again checked it 4 and a new one now 23 knock sensor but there was no lack in power after the light came on.
                  Jeff

Comment

it's definitely the crank sensor, i got this after i bought an aftermarket distributor and they wouldnt warranty it. it felt like it had a blown headgasket.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i swapped back the h23 internals they were all brand new, and getting the same code as i did with the f22 internals but not instantly at start up only when i drive.
                      Last edited by 90fourdoor; 02-21-2009, 09:58 PM.
                      Jeff

Comment

i would just get another complete h23 dizzy, that hasn't been messed with, no offense to you but who knows what you did. And actually thinking about it, I don't think you can even take out the crank sensor, only like the ignitor, coil etc. And make sure the knock sensor is wired up right or you don't have a loose connection. If that doesn't straighten it out, CHECK YOUR TIMING

Comment

Im going to adjust my valves today and see where my cams sit timing wise while i have the vc off.
                          Jeff

Comment

ok so I went and did the timing belt job over again and Im all ligned up and tight. Starts up runs fine no Cel until I drive down the street a little ways and I get 4 n 23 crank position and knock sensor at the same time. any ideas Im confused
                            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by 90fourdoor View Post
                              ok so I went and did the timing belt job over again and Im all ligned up and tight. Starts up runs fine no Cel until I drive down the street a little ways and I get 4 n 23 crank position and knock sensor at the same time. any ideas Im confused
                              Put another dizzy on and try it.
                              Theres obviously a fault in the CKP sensor circuit, So swap the dizzy with a known good one and see what happens.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X