best oil to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best oil to use

i have a cb7 with a h22a in doing a oil change this weeked coming up i do used the car alot put about 300 to 500 a week stop and go as a pizza deliver drive as part time job what is the best out there? ( i used my other honda is pennzoil and i add a lucas bottle) second ? is i will be replacing the tranny in two week in going with a f22 tranny what will be the best gear oil i should used? thank u for u time
    Last edited by h22-accord; 09-27-2009, 09:14 PM.

use either of the synthetics...listed from lowest to highest priced:

valvoline synthetic
    castrol synthetic
    royal purple
    amsoil
    torco

do not use conventional oils as synthetics are cheaper in the long run and protect MUCH better. Mobile 1 synthetic is supposedly not a real synthetic don't know about their "new" stuff.

when using synthetics, change your oil filter every 5000 miles, buy 1quart of the synthetic as you'll need to top it off a little...then a complete d&f around 15,000.

I've just begun an oil test with my car using castrol syntec to see what my oil change intervals REALLY should be.
    ____

Comment

mobil 1 is good stuff but pricey, thats why I bought some Castrol GTX syn, everyone tells me its what honda recommends, 5w-30.

whats d&f???

Comment

New oil is better than used.

Comment

i use 10w40 castrol gtx since there was some in the trunk when i bought the car ... i have to add a qt of oil every 600-1000 miles
          Blake.
          1994 Accord Part out!
          Me and my step dad's 1991 Accord EX Coupe MRT

82 accord-rip, 94 geo-sold, 82 cavilier-rip,81 civic-rip,88 accord- rip, 88 legend- rip, 91 civic- sold,97 geo-sold, 92 accord- sold 94 accord- RIP, 1990 Camry- RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Accord
            i use 10w40 castrol gtx since there was some in the trunk when i bought the car ... i have to add a qt of oil every 600-1000 miles
            Great leak huh?

I used Mobile 1 5w30 all the time.

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

and the tranny gear oil ? with one i should used

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=55269

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=55330

read those 2 carefully... plenty of info there.
                JDM Parts for sale

Comment

Originally posted by sweet91accord View Post
                  and the tranny gear oil ? with one i should used
                  Honda MTF, rough 1.5-2 quarts. Or 10W-30 motor oil. Also I personally dislike Mobil 1, to much valvetrain noise compared to Castrol GTX. I have used both Castrol Edge and Syntec, both are good oils in my opinions. I have never used Royal purple due to the fact it is said to be no better than say Mobil 1. I gonna use Ams Oil this next time around to see how good it is since is roughly the same price as the stuff I use now. Also as filter goes, I like to use the K&N filters. As far as intervals go 3-5k no more than that.

pear_b: my guess is drain and flush but who knows.

That also brings me to something that could be helpful. If your engine has a lot of sludge, go get some kerosene and flush it out. I have never tried it but have heard from many mechanics it works.

Another thing concerning oil viscosity. If your motor has a lot of mile on it and is getting close to a rebuild. Switch to a higher weight, maybe a 20W-40 or in that range. The thicker oil will maintain higher oil pressure, since worn bearings and thinner oils causes quicker wear and low oil pressure.
                  Last edited by 93F22A6; 09-28-2009, 09:46 PM.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                  "The Turtle"
                  DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

go ahead and add a can of BG MOA at your oil change also.

Be Clean

Comment

for best oil use "NEO Syntetics 10w40" is like $12 a bottle buts its worth it!

Comment

if you change every 3k you'll be okay. you should probably use a BG product for your tranny too.

Be Clean

Comment

I use Valvoline 10w30 Dura blend! Its by far the best. Heres why-http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Comment

Do not put motor oil in your transmission. Use only Honda MTF, or GM Synchromesh (it's not the correct stuff, but it does seem to work very well...) Our transmissions do not take "gear oil". "Gear oil" will desroy a Honda manual transmission.

Do not EVER put additives in your engine or transmission oil.

As far as the "best" oil... honestly, for 99.9999% of the members of this site, any oil that lubricates properly is just fine. You won't see a significant difference in performance or reliability with expensive oil. Just get quality oil, and you'll be fine. Any of the well known name brands should suit your needs, as long as the weight is correct. Synthetics tend to find leaks faster... so if you have oil leaks, avoid synthetic oil. Or better yet, fix the leaks and then use synthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7_ACCORD View Post
                              Great leak huh?

I used Mobile 1 5w30 all the time.
                              leak + 240k mile piston rings
                              Blake.
                              1994 Accord Part out!
                              Me and my step dad's 1991 Accord EX Coupe MRT

82 accord-rip, 94 geo-sold, 82 cavilier-rip,81 civic-rip,88 accord- rip, 88 legend- rip, 91 civic- sold,97 geo-sold, 92 accord- sold 94 accord- RIP, 1990 Camry- RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X