Uphill confusion..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uphill confusion..

After searching and reading a few threads, I couldn't pinpoint the answer to the problem I'm having.

I start the car, let it warm then drive off to go to work. My house is at the bottom of a hill so I'm in either 1st or 2nd. Car makes it up the hill just fine. After that, there's a second hill about a 1/4 mile away and not as steep as the first hill. Before I start to incline on the hill, the rpm's start jumping around from 1700-2500. The motor isn't revving along with the tach needle at all. I begin going up the hill and the car just starts bogging. It's barely making any power, rpm's are less than 1k and I have to play with the gas pedal just to keep it alive. Finally I get it up the hill, street levels out and the car dies. Check engine light, battery light, oil light on.

Put the car in park, turn everything off, and go to pull codes....no codes.
    I turn the key to the "on" position and the CEL is still on and won't go off. Turned car off again, open hood to check everything, nothing. Go back in the car, get ready to try again, CEL comes on then goes off like it's suppose to. I decide to crank it over and it starts up. No bogging, no CEL. I drive it a mile with no problems on a hilly road. When I slow down on the last small hill before I make my turn, car starts bogging again. I turn thinking I beat the car from dying, but it just dies midway going down the hill. After a few times of switching the car from the on and off position, the CEL stayed on. One time I did it, the CEL was on, then the car jolted abit and the CEL went off. Of course after that, the car started again and I quickly drove it to work.

Now the part that I'm confused about is it only bogs and lose power when going uphill. Driving around on a flat street or if I'm going fast enough up a hill, no problems at all. I just drove 60 miles(most of it were highway miles)this weekend but I can't go 2 miles of few hills without it dying. Some threads say it's the dizzy or ignitor. My question is, why would it only cutout going uphill instead of just cutting out randomly like it does other cars that I read about? I can pretty much count on it bogging out going uphill at low speeds. Could it be the fuel pump on its way out? I'm lost and without any CEL codes, I pretty much don't know which direction to take. I'm trying to get some some kind of definite answer so I don't waste money buying a part I think might fix the problem and it doesn't.

Sorry for the long read but I tried to fit in as much infomation as I could to get my answer. Thanks in advance.
    [IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/akona21/cb2-2.jpg[/IMG

sounds like you need gas.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

At alittle over half a tank. Should've added that in there

Comment

I'm thinking its more of a fuel problem than ignition. Had the same thing happen on my Isuzu truck I used to have. How recently have you replaced your fuel filter?
        We are all ricers, it just depends what flavor rice you are.

Minitrucker by heart, CB7tuner by coincidence.

My For Sale Thread
        Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

Haven't replaced it since I had the car which only been a year.

Comment

then fuel filter might be something you should look into. however, if it is a fuel issue the rpm's shouldnt be going crazy.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by dbales View Post
              I'm thinking its more of a fuel problem than ignition. Had the same thing happen on my Isuzu truck I used to have. How recently have you replaced your fuel filter?
              fuel filter wouldn't explain why it only dies going uphill.
              R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Put some plywood at the end of your driveway (where your 3 foot moat is), and floor it all the way out of your neighborhood. It's a sure fire way, I almost guarantee it.

1999 BMW M3
                2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                  Put some plywood at the end of your driveway (where your 3 foot moat is), and floor it all the way out of your neighborhood. It's a sure fire way, I almost guarantee it.
                  Sounds like a good idea to me.

Comment

with my other car i had a fuel problem ..the return line was plugged in the gas tank..the role over safety thing was plugged.. the fuel presser was to high and i got vapor lock on a fuel injection .. i had this happen to 2 cars.. it happen when it was hot

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy View Post
                      with my other car i had a fuel problem ..the return line was plugged in the gas tank..the role over safety thing was plugged.. the fuel presser was to high and i got vapor lock on a fuel injection .. i had this happen to 2 cars.. it happen when it was hot
                      Still doesn't explain why this only happens while he's going up hill.

Comment

i`m just sharing .. it could be 2 things causing it .. the hill thing is odd..i wonder
                        if the pick up line in the gas tank is moving around and not getting gas ?

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                          I tempted to sig that.

Originally posted by Teddy View Post
                          Between the fuel filter and this bit of information, I'll look into it more and see what happens.

Thanks guys.

Comment

i hope the info helps ..good luck in getting it going

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
                              fuel filter wouldn't explain why it only dies going uphill.
                              Going uphill puts more load on the engine to pull the car up the hill, causing it to draw more fuel, thus a clogged filter would make it bog down on the hill.

Not saying its the complete fix but something that should be addressed.
                              We are all ricers, it just depends what flavor rice you are.

Minitrucker by heart, CB7tuner by coincidence.

My For Sale Thread
                              Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

Working...
                              X