130db's Exhaust Note

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

130db's Exhaust Note

Hi, got into some trouble with the law last night.. Apparently at WOT in the middle of the night.. My car can be hear up to a kilometer away

Sure, you may think.. Dude, sick!
    But the cops thought, Dude.. defect ><

The cop that booked me estimated the volume to be around 100-110 revving in neutral.. He said 110-130 under load at WOT

Problem is that the legal limit here is 91.. And whilst im usually not at WOT at 2AM lol.. I still have to pass an inspection to get the defect cleared.

These are the following things that affect exhaust volume on my car:
    eBay 4-2-1 Header + Downpipe
    Metallic 2.5" high-flow Cat
    Custom 2.5" cat-back Exhaust
    10" length Resonator
    Straight-through glasspack Muffler
    4.5" oval Tip
    TasPRO Hybrid Intake (SRI)
    Bisimoto Level1.2 turbo Camshaft

Here's the plan, i DON'T want to hack out the Resonator and install a larger one.
    Nor do i want to shelve my high-flow Cat or Muffler for good.
    What i want is to lower my car's volume enough to pass this test.. And then revert it to normal (If performance is affected)

Now what i need is ideas and tips.. Any dodgy, backyard trick is welcome.. I just need it to be sub 91db's for it to pass this test so that i can clear the defect and swap the registration over to the state the Accord lives in.

Thanks!
    Built & Boosted.

get rid of the glasspack muffler. for some odd reason, those seem to be the loudest ones of them all.

and majority of the time, replacing the cat with a high flow aftermarket one will cause the exhaust to be louder. trust and believe me. i know. guys around here either put them on or take them out completely and the cars sound like crap. ive been told i have the best sounding exhaust. OEM cat and 2.25" going to a 3.5" exit muffler.

your best bet is to drop down the size of your exhaust pipping or replace yopur OEM cat AND the 4.5" muffler. you really dont need a muffler with an exit of 4.5".

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
      get rid of the glasspack muffler. for some odd reason, those seem to be the loudest ones of them all.

and majority of the time, replacing the cat with a high flow aftermarket one will cause the exhaust to be louder. trust and believe me. i know. guys around here either put them on or take them out completely and the cars sound like crap. ive been told i have the best sounding exhaust. OEM cat and 2.25" going to a 3.5" exit muffler.

your best bet is to drop down the size of your exhaust pipping or replace yopur OEM cat AND the 4.5" muffler. you really dont need a muffler with an exit of 4.5".
      The tip is 4.5", the exit is 2.5"

I'm not changing the system, especially since Turbo is so close.. Like i said it just needs to be quiet for a day

And you should hear my car, she doesn't purr, she growls
      Built & Boosted.

Comment

Stuff the exhaust with stainless steel wool for the inspection, then take it back out after. Just unbolt something, pack enough in there to muffle, but still pass exhaust, bolt back up.

Shadow - I don't think the tip itself affects the volume that much. I've got a 4.5 inch tip myself. (the shafts's HUGE though ) The tiny little 10" resonator could be a big part of it though.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
          Stuff the exhaust with stainless steel wool for the inspection, then take it back out after. Just unbolt something, pack enough in there to muffle, but still pass exhaust, bolt back up.

Shadow - I don't think the tip itself affects the volume that much. I've got a 4.5 inch tip myself. (the shafts's HUGE though ) The tiny little 10" resonator could be a big part of it though.
          Yeah it's either 10 or 11", pretty small really

Would you recommend putting the steel wool between the downpipe and the cat?
          Or further back in the system?

I'm also hoping they aren't checking Emissions at the same time..
          Despite the high-flow Cat and level1.2 Cam i think i'm pretty safe with a 4cyl.. Laws aren't too strict here
          Built & Boosted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jccck View Post
            Straight-through glasspack Muffler
            4.5" oval Tip
            idk how someone can estimate how loud something is...but you might get away with just going to a junkyard and pulling a decent oem muffler off of something. if you got a reducer and put on a smaller than 2.5 inch oem muffler you'll probably be just fine. the glasspack is the only thing on your list that screams way too loud.
            96 mx-6, needs work...
            91 accord lx sedan, needs work...

Comment

add the snail now. best time.
              will lower your exhaust an incredible amount.
              MadLab Racing
              Southern Maryland

Comment

s2000 muffler does wonders my friend

no
                Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                $30 HID kits here Thread
                "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Originally posted by drummersteve7 View Post
                  add the snail now. best time.
                  will lower your exhaust an incredible amount.
                  I'd love to, but i still have alot of decisions to make and things to buy..

Have to install my new Radiator and Injectors, aswell as the Fuel Pump
                  Also have to buy and install the XTR Stage3 Clutch, Bisimoto 8.9lbs Flywheel, p06 ECU and OBX LSD

And then i can think about the turbo!

@ Law Grandeur, i'm liking what i'm seeing on the Treadstone site.. I totally forgot about those guys
                  Built & Boosted.

Comment

what do you mean the exit is 2.5"? so your telling me that the exhaust pipping thats going TO the muffler is 4.5" wide? thats what it sounds like...

the exit is 4.5". the pipping going TO the muffler is 2.5". which makes the opening into the muffler 2.5". silly guy. lol.

and visual. the pipping does matter. if you go put a 3" pipping on a CB with a high flow cat then 2.25" pipping with a high flow cat, it WILL make a difference. i have 2 friends both of which have Civics with H22 swaps. one has a header, high flow cat, 2.5" pipping into a 3.5" exit muffler. the other high flow cat, 3" pipping. same muffler. the latter one's car is loud as crap whereas the other one is smooth and deep.

the size of the pipping DOES make a difference in sound.

to the OP. its either change the exhaust or your gonna have to have the car sit til you get it boosted. either way your going to HAVE to change the exhaust to pass that test. get a muffler with a silencer on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jccck View Post
                      Yeah it's either 10 or 11", pretty small really

Would you recommend putting the steel wool between the downpipe and the cat?
                      Or further back in the system?
                      Jccck - put that steel wool somewhere it won't blow out, but that you can get it back out easily later. Wherever you feel comfortable with it, you just want it to disrupt the exhaust enough to quiet it down.

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
                      what do you mean the exit is 2.5"? so your telling me that the exhaust pipping thats going TO the muffler is 4.5" wide? thats what it sounds like...

the exit is 4.5". the pipping going TO the muffler is 2.5". which makes the opening into the muffler 2.5". silly guy. lol.

and visual. the pipping does matter. if you go put a 3" pipping on a CB with a high flow cat then 2.25" pipping with a high flow cat, it WILL make a difference. i have 2 friends both of which have Civics with H22 swaps. one has a header, high flow cat, 2.5" pipping into a 3.5" exit muffler. the other high flow cat, 3" pipping. same muffler. the latter one's car is loud as crap whereas the other one is smooth and deep.

the size of the pipping DOES make a difference in sound.

to the OP. its either change the exhaust or your gonna have to have the car sit til you get it boosted. either way your going to HAVE to change the exhaust to pass that test. get a muffler with a silencer on it.

Shadow - you should know me better than that, I did say the tip, not the piping!
                      I think he's saying he has 2.5" piping back to the muffler, but the muffler has a 4.5 inch tip (same as mine) but when you look into the tip, the opening for the actual exhaust gases is only 2.5 inches. The tip itself is basically a decorative stainless ring.

Comment

I think he's saying he has 2.5" piping back to the muffler, but the muffler has a 4.5 inch tip (same as mine) but when you look into the tip, the opening for the actual exhaust gases is only 2.5 inches. The tip itself is basically a decorative stainless ring.
                        Exactly what i meant
                        Built & Boosted.

Comment

Working...
                        X