Adjustable Cam Gear Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjustable Cam Gear Question

Wassup guys. I have a couple questions about an adjustable cam gear. First let me give you a little background as to what I'm doing. I'm doing a mild NA build on my CB. I purchased a Delta 272 cam and Performance Porting is doing my head work which includes milling it to .030", porting/polishing the exhaust side and porting the intake side. Also they are doing a 30° valve job.

I'm aware that milling the head lowers the camshaft position which retards timing. Will I need an adjustable cam gear or will I be able advance the cam timing using the OEM gear? Will an H22 or H23 cam gear work?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

1990 CB7 - Almost Done - Delta 272, SRI, 2.25 catback, Bisi intake manifold gasket, A6 intake double stacked, H22 plenum, AEM cam gear, F23a block, F22a head, Wiseco K20 pistons, DSM 450cc injectors

2004 Z33 - Brembo BBK, Nismo spoiler, Nismo lip, Nismo shift knob, AEM CAI

So nobody knows ...

1990 CB7 - Almost Done - Delta 272, SRI, 2.25 catback, Bisi intake manifold gasket, A6 intake double stacked, H22 plenum, AEM cam gear, F23a block, F22a head, Wiseco K20 pistons, DSM 450cc injectors

Comment

It depends on you. When I went to get tuned on my Delta 272, I had my gear set on 0. I made like 132hp and 125tq. Then I set it on 3 degrees and made 130hp and 127tq. It did something about like that. SO I really just depends on whether you want to spend the money or not. IMO I would. I mean those numbers really didnt phase it really. The more advanced I went the more my tq went up. I wouldnt go past 6 though. Get it and play with it to see what happens.

Comment

you will need to purchase a cam degreeing kit from someone like webcams in order to dial in the camshaft properly and maximize the perfomance capabilities of the camshaft.

you will indeed need an adjustable cam gear to correct the milled head as well as the camshaft regrind profile.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
        member ride thread
        11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
        DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
        People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
        I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
        John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

How does dialing in that cam usually work? It would be nice to get some more grunt from mine.

Comment

cam degreeing is the process of synchronizing the camshaft to the crank such that the proper timing of the intake peak lift is in the proper place of the cranks rotation.

properly setting the camshaft will net you the most power designed for that specific camshaft and should not need any further adjustment come dyno time.
            Last edited by turbo90accord; 01-25-2010, 11:27 PM.

member ride thread
            DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
            I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
            John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Turbo90Accord - Thanks for the heads up about the cam degreeing kit. I had no idea I needed that. Is this kit user friendly?

Which cam gear should I get Bisi or Skunk2. There is only a difference of about $15 in price. I'm leaning more towards Bisi because I've heard nothing but good things about his products.

Comment

Yeah, you can't go wrong with Bisimoto products. Hands down, he's got the quality and the customer support to back it up.
                Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

AEM makes a quality part and their customer service is second to none. Plus they have been around long enough to know what it is that they are doing as well. They definitely back their parts.

$111.00
                  http://www.aempower.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=260
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by CB7/KA8 View Post
                    Thanks for the responses.

Turbo90Accord - Thanks for the heads up about the cam degreeing kit. I had no idea I needed that. Is this kit user friendly?

Which cam gear should I get Bisi or Skunk2. There is only a difference of about $15 in price. I'm leaning more towards Bisi because I've heard nothing but good things about his products.
                    it takes a solid hour of reading the directions over and over to understand how to do it but once you have it done youll thing... that was retardedly easy!

I would suggest going with the bisi cam gear mainly because it has integrated no slip serrations in the gear which prevent it from slipping. I am highly impressed with the quality of the gear and feel it is well worth the money. Even with the non slip serrations on the gear i welded mine once the camshaft was degreed so i never have to worry about slipping at all. Ive heard too many horror stories about gears slipping and with an all out race car, smashing a valve due to cam timing is not an option.

member ride thread
                    DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS

Comment

The Web Cam degreeing kit ($265) and the Bisimoto cam gear ($135) is on the way. I also picked up a Bisi intake gasket ($48). I read that its proven to keep temperatures down and increase HP. This build is coming together nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7/KA8 View Post
                        The Web Cam degreeing kit ($265) and the Bisimoto cam gear ($135) is on the way. I also picked up a Bisi intake gasket ($48). I read that its proven to keep temperatures down and increase HP. This build is coming together nicely.
                        WoW!

You are obviously not on any sort of a budget for this build. $265 for a degree kit is probably more than you spent on the old technology Delta 272 cam. Just a word of advice. Try price shopping &/or research before you start buying any more parts. Don't always go out and buy the first thing you read about.

Good luck with your build
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

yea i made my own degree kit for about 30 bucks which was just the cost of the dial indicator. i used a printable degree wheel and made my own piston stop by welding a bolt to a spark plug. worked perfectly. spending 200+ bucks for something youll only use for about half an hour maybe twice in your cars life is a bit overkill.

member ride thread
                          DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
                            yea i made my own degree kit for about 30 bucks which was just the cost of the dial indicator. i used a printable degree wheel and made my own piston stop by welding a bolt to a spark plug. worked perfectly. spending 200+ bucks for something youll only use for about half an hour maybe twice in your cars life is a bit overkill.
                            You know, I started to just buy the dial indicator. Damn. I'll prolly just sell it when I'm done.

Comment

Working...
                            X