Timing belt broke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt broke

While I was on the highway today my car stopped running. After some investigation I found the timing belt had snapped.

Now, I know how to replace it and all that. My question is what are the chances I have bent some valves?

I have read a lot about this and have not found a consensus. Some people have bent valves and others haven't. There is no clanking or anything coming from the motor and I didnt hear anything when it snapped.
    New to ATL

Might as well rebuild the head just to be safe cuz 9 times outta 10, you'll bend atleast one valve when you have timing belt snap on ya

Comment

at freeway speeds you are MORE likely to bend valves than at lower speeds.

ive known many to get lucky and have no damage after losing a timing belt at high speed.
      i also know folks who have totally destroyed their valves at city speeds.

take your head off and have it pressure tested. that should tell you if the valves are seating properly.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

One quick check is to replace the timing belt, remove the spark plugs and turn the motor by hand. You should be able to hear a light tap if a valve is damaged.
        1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
        C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
        MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
        ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
        You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

i say 9/10 u have bent valves. i brought a 93ex from a cb7 member here, and he told me that his timing belt broke. Well i brought the car, and took the head off and guess what? I only suffered 2 bent exhaust valves and im currently rebuilding the head. So chances are.... u have bent valves. Good luck and have fun. U will learn a good amount about the engine when tearing it all apart. need advice give me a page.

Comment

First just check to make sure the valves have no damage before you go back on the road with a new timing belt...Cause it will affect it in the future
            VS

Mercyboy: I rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

MERCYBOY THREAD:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158241
            1990 RHD Honda accord si CB3 Canada http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196287
            MY CB7 ON YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJID_IxwiNY

Comment

Originally posted by JakeBlume View Post
              My question is what are the chances I have bent some valves?
              The chances are 50/50, As already said you need to put a new cambelt on and then test it.
              Unless you feel like pulling the head off for fun, then finding they are OK.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I appreciate all the help guys. I am looking into an F22b head swap since I am probably going to have to pull the head. I have been thinking about doing it anyway and this is almost a perfect excuse. So if anyone can help me find the parts lol....
                New to ATL

Comment

chances are very good that it will have bent valves

Comment

Originally posted by H22artman View Post
                    at freeway speeds you are MORE likely to bend valves than at lower speeds.

ive known many to get lucky and have no damage after losing a timing belt at high speed.
                    i also know folks who have totally destroyed their valves at city speeds.

take your head off and have it pressure tested. that should tell you if the valves are seating properly.
                    Vehicle speed is not factor, but engine RPMs.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

you never know. Pull the head and check it out. When I was 17 with my first accord the timing belt broke when I was on a long hill. I thought the car just stalled so I tried to bump start it like 3 or 4 times. Well I figured out what happened and replaced the t belt and it fired right up and ran great. None bent.

.... well ran great till i blew the head gasket.

I'd just try and put a new belt on it first. Do the water pump while you're in there as good preventive maintenance. If it doesn't run like before then I'd pull the head. That may not be the best way to go about it but that's what I'd do.

:edit: Just saw the post about the head swap. My bad. Go for it!
                      Life's a garden. Dig it.

Comment

Originally posted by I<3MyHonda View Post
                        you never know. Pull the head and check it out. When I was 17 with my first accord the timing belt broke when I was on a long hill. I thought the car just stalled so I tried to bump start it like 3 or 4 times. Well I figured out what happened and replaced the t belt and it fired right up and ran great. None bent.

.... well ran great till i blew the head gasket.

I'd just try and put a new belt on it first. Do the water pump while you're in there as good preventive maintenance. If it doesn't run like before then I'd pull the head. That may not be the best way to go about it but that's what I'd do.

:edit: Just saw the post about the head swap. My bad. Go for it!
                        why are you replying to this? do you not see the date? he has put a new head and timing belt on the car and it runs fine. i even stopped by and helped him about a year ago. later.
                        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I appologize. I didn't check the date I was just browsing the new posts. I'll check before I post from now on.
                          Life's a garden. Dig it.

Comment

Working...
                          X