Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing Front Wheel Bearing...Hub Too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Front Wheel Bearing...Hub Too?

Need to replace the drivers side front wheel bearing...question is, should I just replace the bearing or should I replace the hub as well? Getting the hub along with the bearing doesn't seem to be much more expensive but if it's an unneeded cost, then I guess I will go with just the bearing.

Thoughts?
    VIP Status.

It's been a while since I dealt with this in my coupe. However I believe the bearings have to be pressed into the hub. If you have a press and the right size "presser" you'd save a few bucks. OR if you can find a shop to press them in cheap, that would work too. (cost me $80 I think )

However if pressing them yourself, or getting them pressed is spendy, you may just buy the whole hub.

I've been told the hub can be removed from the knuckle without a press. I just gave the shop the whole knuckle, and had new Brembo's installed at the same time!

Comment

Unless your hub is damaged, I'd just get a new bearing.
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Doesn't the hub have to come off anyways in order to take the bearing out? I know the bearing is toast but im not sure about the hub. The female unit hit a big ass pothole and I've narrowed it down to the bearing and/or hub. Might as well replace both to be safe id say, yea?
        VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
          Doesn't the hub have to come off anyways in order to take the bearing out? I know the bearing is toast but im not sure about the hub. The female unit hit a big ass pothole and I've narrowed it down to the bearing and/or hub. Might as well replace both to be safe id say, yea?
          yes to replace the bearing, you remove them as a pair then need to press the hub out of it.

where are you getting them as a pair? as far as i am aware, you can only get hubs from the dealer... for many other cars they come as an aftermarket pair to make installation easier, but ive never seen a CB setup available.

you may be getting just the bearing either way without realizing it? i know a lot of times they call the bearing a "hub"

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

On autozone's website they have the bearing listed for 31....then go to the front hub section and it says hub and bearing for 50 bucks.
            VIP Status.

Comment

That sounds a little too cheap for both hub and bearing. A lot of companies call it a hub bearing assembly but if you look at the catalog pic, it's actually only the bearing. I would only get a new hub if you old one is damaged.

Comment

Really? What about this, being sold by Summit Racing? Only $35 shipped....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AutoE...Q5fAccessories

Or this is $25....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wheel...Q5fAccessories

Of course, I don't know how good these brands are but...just saying.....
                VIP Status.

Comment

Those pics are just generic pics, not of the actual product. Like that first link, I can 100% guarantee the pic they show is for a 90's GM. Also, I actually have an Autoextra brand (same part number as in the 1st link) on my shelf right now and it's only the bearing.

The hub by itself costs roughly $100 (Dorman brand) from what I can find.

Comment

Damn....well I will just run to Autozone and pick up the bearing....if it turns out the hub needs replaced to (let's hope not!) then....
                    VIP Status.

Comment

The Timken bearings from Autozone were about 50 bucks a piece when I did mine back in Dec. You need to press them out of the hubs, when you do, there'll be remnants of the old bearing's race stuck on the hub which you will probably have to cut off with a Dremel or some cutting tool.

If your hubs aren't scored or have a burnt heat mark on them, they should be safe to reuse. I used a 12 ton press to press the hubs out of the bearing.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I just got a response from this seller...he says that the part is for the hub itself, not the bearing. Does this look like the hub or are there pieces missing that I will also need or what (besides the bearing)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...5409&viewitem=
                        VIP Status.

Comment

you can get the hub and bearing combo from www.am-autoparts.com thats where i bought mine from and it is both the bearing and hub as i bought a set for each side in the front and they both fit perfectly.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/1992/Hon...51/347534.html

and its already pre assembled for you as well.
                          Last edited by 92accordcb7ex; 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordcb7ex View Post
                            you can get the hub and bearing combo from www.am-autoparts.com thats where i bought mine from and it is both the bearing and hub as i bought a set for each side in the front and they both fit perfectly.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/1992/Hon...51/347534.html

and its already pre assembled for you as well.
                            Damn....both sides for 80 shipped. Good deal...will buy that now
                            VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
                              Damn....both sides for 80 shipped. Good deal...will buy that now
                              yup exactly what i said when i found them and they are good quality too.

Comment

Working...
                              X