Camshaft Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camshaft Seal

im installing the camshaft back in my motor. can i put the seal on now or should i press it in after i get the camshaft installed?
    RIP 4/23/12...lets not forget, the 88" Z31 turbo, are my dailys

If you have an impact I'd replace it now. You can use a towel and wrap up the lobes so that you can hold it. Then hold tight while a buddy buzzes it off. Change the seal and put the pulley back on and tighten the bolt finger-tight. Then you can reinstall the camshaft and torque it down once you've got the timing belt on it tightly.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

The correct way to install the seal is to remove the rocker assembly, put the new seal on (after cleaning the camshaft of course), then put the rocker arm assembly back on and put the bolts on finger tight. Then, use an appropriately sized socket to tap the seal down into the bore completely and squarely. After that, torque the rockers to spec.
      There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I may be wrong, but I have never removed the rocker arm to replace the cam seal. I did this to remove and replace mine:

honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1908944&highlight=cam+seal+remova l&page=6
        MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

Mndude07, you said nothing in your description about removing or reinstalling the pulley.

Djkurious, you don't technically have to but I wouldn't want to jar a cam bolt loose while still connected to the valve train.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Ok. 3 ways.

Which one is right?

Comment

Do you have an impact?

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                Do you have an impact?
                I do.

But i already have the cam gear off.

Comment

Then do what I told you. Reinstall your cam and rockers, wrap your timing belt around the cam and something I forgot to add is that you should put a long flathead screwdriver into the balance shaft access hole on the back of the block. That will lock it into place.

Comment

This all sounds ridiculously complicated, i removed my cam pulley, then the rocker assembly, lifted the cam out then slid the seal on, then reversed...

No leaks to this day, been about 6ish months and about 4000 miles.
                    Originally posted by Mishakol129
                    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

^ I did this and had no leaks our issues.
                      2013 Honda Fit Sport Alabaster Silver Metallic GE8
                      2013 Accord Sport Modern Steel Metallic CR2

CB9 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=hostile
                      CR2 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=197787
                      GE8 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199289

Comment

Mndude07, you said nothing in your description about removing or reinstalling the pulley.

Djkurious, you don't technically have to but I wouldn't want to jar a cam bolt loose while still connected to the valve train.
                        Excuse me, I thought it was implied. I forget that some people aren't very intelligent on here though!

Comment

I'm just saying that if you were giving a step by step then you should include all of your steps.

Comment

Got any pics of the procedures?
                            Thanks.

Comment

I'm just saying that if you were giving a step by step then you should include all of your steps.
                              I don't think I wrote a DIY...

Comment

Working...
                              X