Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I change the metal coolant line from the water pump to thermostat housing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I change the metal coolant line from the water pump to thermostat housing?

How do I change the metal coolant line that runs accross the back of the motor from the water pump to the thermostat housing? It's pissing out coolant right in the middle before it gets into the thermostat housing. I'm hoping I don't have to touch the water pump just to change the leaking metal tube or I might as well change the timing belt while it's opened up even though I've never done it before Does anybody know if the tube will just pull out of the water pump/block side of the tube? My uncle suggested taking it off and welding it but that sounds like trouble since it's already rusty.

Update: Pipe costs $60 from Honda n takes like 2hrs to install. It was rusted from the outside in, I guess from sitting before I bought the car and I didn't have any corrosion whatsoever... My 9 gets fresh antifreeze constantly from replacing hoses here n there.
    Last edited by Binladin; 03-14-2013, 04:40 PM. Reason: Updated
    4000watts just so all the haters hear me comin!

im not sure on how easy or hard it is to replace the tube.. but if its easy to get to a quick fix could be some JB weld and/or some glass cloth with resin to seal it up. I dont think even if it wasnt rusty if you could weld it up unless you have a tig, a mig might blow thru it and an arc welder definitely will blow thru before you could even get penetration

Comment

You will not have to touch the water pump or anything on the timing belt circuit. You will need to pull the t-stat housing, IM can stay. The hard water pipe is sandwiched between the block @ the water pump and the t-stat housing. You should have enough clearance to twist and pull it out of the block and send it out towards the passenger side. Make sure you get the 1 bolt on the block that is pretty close to the tranny, it bolts the pipe to the block.

Comment

Thanks guys! What a relief I don't have to touch the water pump!... I'm going to coat the new pipe with spray on bedliner and go all new coolant hoses, t-stat and rad cap so I don't get another lovely coolant surpise. Lol
        4000watts just so all the haters hear me comin!

Comment

Probably unnecessary to coat the pipe.....have you ever serviced your coolant system? This pipe almost NEVER causes leaks. You likely have corrosion going on inside, in which case the fins of the water pump and inside of radiator are shot also. You'll want to examine the inside of the pipe when you remove it, any corrosion/buildup you see on the inside of the pipe is also everywhere else in the system. Hope it's not as bad as I'm thinking it might be..
          My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

the pipe is still available from Honda

1990 19505-PT3-A00

1991 19505-PT3-A00

1992 19505-PT3-A00

1993 19505-PT2-000 SE

basically all the same with one exception I found in a few minutes of searching

get the O-rings too
            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X