Auto to 5spd conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto to 5spd conversion

On an estimated cost, how much will it be to convert my auto to a 5spd? Is it worth it or should I just try to trade and get an accord that already has standard transmission?

The subjective questions with many unknown variables are always the most fun.

What's your mechanic ability?

What tools do you have or have access to?

What is your workspace like?

How long can the car realistically be down?

Do you have access to the parts you'll need locally? Shipping a transmission is not cheap.

Have you looked around at the price of a comparable car to have a control to compare your pricing and effort to?

Considering all that, a transmission will be around $100-250, you'll need a clutch, flywheel and throw-out bearing for about $200-300, clutch slave and master for about $50 and pedal assembly, lines and other hardware can come from the junkyard. If you haven't read the DIY on here then shame on you for being lazy. Make up your own mind as to whether you should or shouldn't.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

in my personal opinion, if i want a 5 speed cb i would get one that was originally a 5 speed and leave my auto alone
      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

You shouldn't mess with an auto if you are planning to floor it at times. The automatic tranny won't hold that kind of abuse. You'd most likely want a 5 speed and rebuild it.

I WAS in the same position as you are and decided not to do the swap. Why? I don't know, I mean is it really worth it? Just sell her and get a original 5 speed. Less hassle, and you'll be happier you did in the end.

Comment

for me? these are the prices I paid:

ESP Auto to 5spd mounts: 275 shipped

Exedy Stage 1 clutch: 260 shipped

Fidanza 8lb flywheel: 155 shipped

Used M2A4 tranny: 100 picked up (bad idea, fell apart 8 months later), about
          650 for LSD tranny I got later on in Anaheim, CA from
          importer

5spd swap parts bought off member: 140 shipped (pedals, prelude shifter,
          Clutch master cylinder, hardlines, slave cylinder)

labor to do swap: 500

Misc: 50 bucks (MTF, cleaning supplies, paper towels, gloves, fast food lol)

So total I spent: About 1500 bucks initially to get the car running and it lasted me quite awhile, until I got fed up with my worn out tranny i got off craigslist. (grinding/popping out third gear and shot bearings)

I later got an M2B4 LSD tranny...decided to splurge so that cost me 650

But after recently doing my own tranny removal and install (April 12') in order to replace the 5th gear, syncro sleeve and bearings, I say you can save the 500 I spent on labor and do it yourself in about a weekend...all it is is monkey labor, nothing complicated at all.

So budget approx 1000 I would say
          Last edited by Losiracer2; 10-16-2012, 10:51 PM.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Vex View Post
            You shouldn't mess with an auto if you are planning to floor it at times. The automatic tranny won't hold that kind of abuse. You'd most likely want a 5 speed and rebuild it.
            I beat the shit out of my auto tranny for 7 years before I swapped to 5 spd. It probly could have gone another 7 years. I'm not saying they are bomb proof but the occasional flooring did no harm to mine.

I did my 5spd swap while I had my motor out so it made it much easier. I wouldnt have done it with the motor still in. Not enough room to work and im lazy as crap.

With the motor and everything out of the bay I could stand in there and run the cables, clutch line, etc.

Easiest way to do the line from the master cylinder to the slave is a single steel braided hose, eliminating brackets, the damper, uneeded crap in the bay.

Comment

Working...
            X