Power Steering pump leaking a little.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
    So after I tighten the outside 2 bolts, I have not seen it leaking any more. Since it's a pressure relief valve, do you think some thing have gone bad in there? What could it be? Any way to fix it? When you rebuilt your pump, did you take that off to clean? Does it require cleaning since it's way back there?
    Thanks.
    pull out the valve and blow it out with compressed air. it is very easy to clog it up and we spent a really long time trying to figure out what the problem was. the hole in the valve is no bigger than pencil lead
    visit vgruk

Comment

So after I tighten the outside 2 bolts, I have not seen it leaking any more. Since it's a pressure relief valve, do you think some thing have gone bad in there? What could it be? Any way to fix it? When you rebuilt your pump, did you take that off to clean? Does it require cleaning since it's way back there?
      Thanks.

There is nothing in there to break or wear really. You will have a spring, a ball bearing and a metal tube with a spring. The tube has two flat sides on the side that’s not facing the cover. Put that in a vise with the flat sides facing the vise flat so it holds it, then you can get the small bolt out of it and it will come apart. The valve is only 2" or so long and as big around as a dime or smaller.

It can be a little hard to get it to "fall" out but it does easily come out. Using a stick magnet would work best.

And yes, just clean it and your good to go as far as the pressure relief valve. There is a seal on the cover IIRC but if you get away with just tightening it down for now then your in the clear as of now.

Comment

So if I pull the cover to clean the valve, will there be lots fluid spilling out? I just want to know as I am out of fluid right and flat broke. Don't want to spend on a bottle if the cleaning is not needed.
        Thanks.

Comment

If it isn’t leaking after you tightened the bolts then don’t mess with it. Its best to take the pump off to anything to it and since you don’t have a bottle of fluid I wouldn’t take it off of course.

But If your power steering fluid is at the full mark, then your ok to do it as I don’t think you will lose more than a couple table spoons of fluid at most cleaning the valve. I don’t know that 100% for sure as we took the pump completely off to do everything. But If I was in your shoes I would feel comfortable doing it if I felt it was needed.

Comment

So if I pull the cover to clean the valve, will there be lots fluid spilling out? I just want to know as I am out of fluid right and flat broke. Don't want to spend on a bottle if the cleaning is not needed.
            Thanks.
            no fluid should spill out but a tablespoon or 2. all that pressure relief valve does is maintain a pressure of 15 psi.

if it is clogged than the pump will build up to much pressure and spit it out the shaft seal.]

and just so we are clear
            Last edited by RyanD; 02-19-2013, 05:31 PM.
            visit vgruk

Comment

^^^Correct.

Im going to go to the salvage yard tomorrow and pick up a pump.

Im going to make a video from start to finsih and put it in the DIYs. That way there wont be any confusion.

Comment

Hello there,
                So when is that video coming?
                Thanks.

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                ^^^Correct.

Im going to go to the salvage yard tomorrow and pick up a pump.

Im going to make a video from start to finsih and put it in the DIYs. That way there wont be any confusion.

Comment

Working...
                X