Power Steering pump leaking a little.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Steering pump leaking a little.

1990 Accord LX Sedan with 164K miles. I have a little leak and wonder if I should replace the seals or the whole pump. I don't have an impact and removing the pulley could be a problem. The leak seem to be at the seam of the pump rather than the thicker pulley o-ring. It's also leaking by the plate right below high pressure hose. Please see pic.
    My question is to replace the pump, is there a lot of fluid leaking out of the pump after the car is cool and sitting over night? How much fluid should I top off after?
    Thanks.

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
    My question is to replace the pump, is there a lot of fluid leaking out of the pump after the car is cool and sitting over night? How much fluid should I top off after?
    Thanks.
    You shouldn't need more than 1 litre.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

If you get a used pump, you may be buying the same problem. Get a seal kit and rebuild it. I don't recall needing an impact wrench (didn't have one at the time) to get the pulley off when I rebuilt mine.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        If you get a used pump, you may be buying the same problem. Get a seal kit and rebuild it. I don't recall needing an impact wrench (didn't have one at the time) to get the pulley off when I rebuilt mine.
        So do you remember how to take the pulley off without the impact? So a liter is a little more than a quart, which I already have from the last fluid change. I wonder changing the fluid to new a few months ago cause the pump to leak? Wait! Aren't you selling a pump in the for sale forums?

Thanks.

Comment

RyanD and I just rebuilt his.

Rebuilding it is easy. Its gear driven.

We are in the process of making a DIY.

Make sure you have a very clean work area and make sure you clean the pressure regulator valve thing (it’s late and I can’t remember what it’s called) as there is a very small hole that’s easy to plug. Blow the screen out also.

Don’t leave the pump completely dry when you put it back together.

If you get it back on the car and it pushes the seal out on the pulley side the pressure regulator thing is clogged.

The pulley nut is a left handed thread and 19mm. Wedge a screwdriver in one of the holes in the pulley against side of the pump is what we did to lock the pulley in place.

Make sure the shaft seal is in really good. We taped it in good with a socket.

Gates seal kit is what we used:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gates-351610...87fdd3&vxp=mtr

Here are some pics as to what your in for incase you dont already know.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 02-16-2013, 03:40 AM.

Comment

I've always wondered about this. I don't like the black paint they use when you buy the Reman units.
            Nice pics.

The Gates kit is cheaper at rock auto. I have just about gone to them unless I'm changing a seal and then I use OEM.

steve

Comment

So do you remember how to take the pulley off without the impact? So a liter is a little more than a quart, which I already have from the last fluid change. I wonder changing the fluid to new a few months ago cause the pump to leak? Wait! Aren't you selling a pump in the for sale forums?

Thanks.
              You should rebuild it for the experience! Take the time to clean the outside real well while you're at it. You could certainly get it done quicker than I can ship you one. I probably used the screwdriver trick as well. Yes, I'm selling one (it wasn't leaking, but it does have 182,000 miles on it). Give me a zip and I can figure out shipping if that's what you want to do.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I have a PS pump lying around that was leaking from the shaft seal. You guys just inspired me to rebuild it. Good pics above too. Thanks

Comment

My pump is just seeping so I'll wait for you DIY. On your DIY, could point out the things to watch out for like, to keep the pressure regulator valve and point out on your picture, the screen blowout, and seal drive, etc...
                  Thanks.

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                  RyanD and I just rebuilt his.

Rebuilding it is easy. Its gear driven.

We are in the process of making a DIY.

Make sure you have a very clean work area and make sure you clean the pressure regulator valve thing (it’s late and I can’t remember what it’s called) as there is a very small hole that’s easy to plug. Blow the screen out also.

Don’t leave the pump completely dry when you put it back together.

If you get it back on the car and it pushes the seal out on the pulley side the pressure regulator thing is clogged.

The pulley nut is a left handed thread and 19mm. Wedge a screwdriver in one of the holes in the pulley against side of the pump is what we did to lock the pulley in place.

Make sure the shaft seal is in really good. We taped it in good with a socket.

Gates seal kit is what we used:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gates-351610...87fdd3&vxp=mtr

Here are some pics as to what your in for incase you dont already know.

Comment

So looking at the pulley and facing the nut that holds it, do you turn the nut clockwise (to the right) to loosen it? How much torque should I put on to tighten it?
                    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
                      I've always wondered about this. I don't like the black paint they use when you buy the Reman units.
                      Nice pics.

The Gates kit is cheaper at rock auto. I have just about gone to them unless I'm changing a seal and then I use OEM.

steve
                      Thank you!

Gates and Edelmann are both good kits. You can also buy the parts from Honda but you have to buy them piece by piece. They are not in a "kit".

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                      You should rebuild it for the experience! Take the time to clean the outside real well while you're at it. You could certainly get it done quicker than I can ship you one. I probably used the screwdriver trick as well. Yes, I'm selling one (it wasn't leaking, but it does have 182,000 miles on it). Give me a zip and I can figure out shipping if that's what you want to do.
                      Its really is a cool experience.

And make sure everything is super clean but dont try and put it back together bone dry. It needs a little in it to be primed.

What happends is the seals go out, it leaks all the fluid out, then the pump is ran dry and then I would imagine after a while the pump would need more than just the seals replaced. Nothing goes bad in the pumps but the seals unless you let the seals get so bad and you run it dry.

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                      I have a PS pump lying around that was leaking from the shaft seal. You guys just inspired me to rebuild it. Good pics above too. Thanks
                      Your very welcome! There isnt really a need to ever buy a new or used pump because they are really easy to rebuild and cheap. Plus like I said the only thing to go bad is the seals.

My pump is just seeping so I'll wait for you DIY. On your DIY, could point out the things to watch out for like, to keep the pressure regulator valve and point out on your picture, the screen blowout, and seal drive, etc...
                      Thanks.
                      I will get the DIY out on Monday. It’s going to be a huge, long DIY and we have kind of been dreading it because of that but at the same time we want people to realize it a much better choice just to rebuild the one you have. And save some fellow CB7tuner to cash.

I will post up a ton of pictures of the process all the way through in the DIY. I image RyanD and I will work the DIY together to get this out on Monday. Neither of us realized the interest you all have in this or it would have already been done.

So looking at the pulley and facing the nut that holds it, do you turn the nut clockwise (to the right) to loosen it? How much torque should I put on to tighten it?
                      Thanks.
                      Yes left is tighten and right is loosen. And I will get the specs on it for you.

Comment

Thanks. Your interior is the same color as mine, burgundy.

Thank you!

Gates and Edelmann are both good kits. You can also buy the parts from Honda but you have to buy them piece by piece. They are not in a "kit".

Its really is a cool experience.

And make sure everything is super clean but dont try and put it back together bone dry. It needs a little in it to be primed.

What happends is the seals go out, it leaks all the fluid out, then the pump is ran dry and then I would imagine after a while the pump would need more than just the seals replaced. Nothing goes bad in the pumps but the seals unless you let the seals get so bad and you run it dry.

Your very welcome! There isnt really a need to ever buy a new or used pump because they are really easy to rebuild and cheap. Plus like I said the only thing to go bad is the seals.

I will get the DIY out on Monday. It’s going to be a huge, long DIY and we have kind of been dreading it because of that but at the same time we want people to realize it a much better choice just to rebuild the one you have. And save some fellow CB7tuner to cash.

I will post up a ton of pictures of the process all the way through in the DIY. I image RyanD and I will work the DIY together to get this out on Monday. Neither of us realized the interest you all have in this or it would have already been done.

Yes left is tighten and right is loosen. And I will get the specs on it for you.

Comment

Hey H311RA151N,
                          Do you know that plate in the rear of the pump right below the high pressure hose that has to bolts on it, like a block off plate. Like the pic below where the screwdriver is pointing at below though you can't see it on the top. Do you know the purpose of that plate? Is it like a valve or something there or just a blind block off area?
                          Thanks.

Comment

Hey H311RA151N,
                            Do you know that plate in the rear of the pump right below the high pressure hose that has to bolts on it, like a block off plate. Like the pic below where the screwdriver is pointing at below though you can't see it on the top. Do you know the purpose of that plate? Is it like a valve or something there or just a blind block off area?
                            Thanks.

That isn’t a block off plate. That is where the pressure relief valve is located. There is a small bolt inside there that you unscrew (10mm IIRC), and then there is a spring, and a ball bearing you have to be careful not to drop and pay attention to the way it goes back together.

Also RyanD and I highly recommend taking the pump off the car to rebuild it.

Comment

So after I tighten the outside 2 bolts, I have not seen it leaking any more. Since it's a pressure relief valve, do you think some thing have gone bad in there? What could it be? Any way to fix it? When you rebuilt your pump, did you take that off to clean? Does it require cleaning since it's way back there?
                              Thanks.

That isn’t a block off plate. That is where the pressure relief valve is located. There is a small bolt inside there that you unscrew (10mm IIRC), and then there is a spring, and a ball bearing you have to be careful not to drop and pay attention to the way it goes back together.

Also RyanD and I highly recommend taking the pump off the car to rebuild it.

Comment

Working...
                              X