New every ball joint....still shakes at 55 ish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
    Alignment and tires. Any tire place will balance the wheel and tire combo ruling out anything but the worst of issues there.
    That *bump*

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete

Comment

Another possibility is your shocks. Blown shocks can cause a violent shaking at speed. Especially when the bumps in the road are evenly spaced enough to cause a regular bounce.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Another possibility is your shocks. Blown shocks can cause a violent shaking at speed. Especially when the bumps in the road are evenly spaced enough to cause a regular bounce.
        And this is why you run the forum.

Comment

Nah... I run the forum because I'm always here
          I know suspensions because I've broken/fixed mine a million times!

Comment

So I didn't do anything today but go to work and go home. I think ill get my alignment at firestone though if they will do it (lowered) and ask them about balancing my wheels. I choose firestone because when they try to sell me tires there is no chance I will by from them.
            Whatever it is needs fixed ASAP.
            Further notes it seems like if I'm super smooth with the throttle and wheel I can get up to 70 with out shakes. I can't let off the gas or turn at all or accelerate abruptly. I can maintain no shakes until any of the previos things happens. I don't know if they get better or worse at higher speeds, who would drive a broken car that fast.
            I noticed when slow turning, parking I can kinda force a couple twangs out of the suspension. Not force but with the wheel turned and brakes tapped hard enough to produce load shifts. Normaly I don't do that except when diagnosing.

Have weights fallen off? There would be no way to tell I have at least two, maybe three sets of balancing weights on the rims. I know it sounds suspect. I guess you getnew tires and don't really look at that sort of thing.

Another hypotheses occurred to me today, the car was much lower previously on the same bushings maybe something is floating at speed. Maybe the alignment will help.
            Last edited by cb7 calling; 05-01-2013, 08:10 PM.
            ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

With what you're saying about the throttle, it makes me think axles. I know you said you've already replaced them, but that makes me wonder. I'm by no means a mechanic or an expert of any sort, but if you had it done by a mechanic, maybe have it rechecked?

Comment

It's possible to install an axle improperly. Many don't push the axles in far enough, but they're still able to put everything back together. That would be another thing to check.

Comment

It's possible to install an axle improperly. Many don't push the axles in far enough, but they're still able to put everything back together. That would be another thing to check.
                  Or I seen it to where they give you the wrong ones and it feels funny. My brothers were identical but something was different about them and it turned out to be the wrong set.

If people are still thinking its tire balance, rotate the tires front to rear as long as you dont feel shaking back there. Or even swap wheels with another cb7 to see if it still occurs.

Also inspect and put some stress on the upper and lower ball joints to see if they move.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Tires being out of balance or one of thenm have a shifted belt will cause the vibration
                    Bad alignment and high speeds will cause shaking
                    Check your axles for the weights if you have an auto. The missing rubber weight on the longer axle will give a bad vibration. Even with a manual trans , a shitty rebuilt axle will cause bad vibration.
                    I think everybody has covered about everything.

Comment

I did all the work myself, and have done axles countless times. I have has the entire knuckle off this car alone a dozen times. I do suspect faulty driver side axle though. I cured a shake very similar to this one on my civic, it was the axle.
                      I also suspect a faulty driver side outer tie rod. The ball felt good but as I threaded it on it was able to be wiggled a little untill I tightened the nut down. I had already done the passenger side so was not sure if that's how it should be.
                      I'm leaning toward not having addressed the issue at all though since its the same shake from before I started.
                      I'm hoping to get to work 15 mind early, traffic permitting and drop it off for a pro to see.
                      Then drive home on glass. Or with a new agenda at least.

Comment

Just because you've done it a thousand times doesn't mean you didn't mess up this time. Never discount the possibility that you may have made a mistake. I've watched many people pull their hair out fixing everything BUT their own mistakes due to pride.

Comment

Just because you've done it a thousand times doesn't mean you didn't mess up this time. Never discount the possibility that you may have made a mistake. I've watched many people pull their hair out fixing everything BUT their own mistakes due to pride.
                          Thats why I have friends check over my shit. Just in case I wasnt thinking right.

Comment

Same here. I've messed up easy things that I was very familiar with a number of times. Sometimes you have a brainfart, or you were in a hurry, or you were just so familiar with the process that you were careless.

The two things that always cause me to shake my head when people are trying to troubleshoot problems: 1) the unwillingness to admit they may have made a mistake, and 2) the unwillingness to admit that a brand new part could be faulty.

Comment

It is your wheels/tires not being balanced or related to your wheels/tires like being out of round/bad belt or something like that.

The problem is in your wheels/tires. For sure. Swap front to back and I bet the problem changes. Do this FOR FREE IN 20 MINUTES to confirm the common theory.

The reason I say its not a blown strut/suspension is the problem is speed specific. Blown struts have issues at every mph. If it was an axle, it would be specific to load, not speed. So coasting at 70mph would stop the shake if it was axle related. Popping it into N or pulling it out of gear would stop the shake if it was related to the axle 999/1000 times.

No load, still shakes, speed specific, ITS YOUR WHEELS/TIRES BROSKI
                              Originally posted by wed3k
                              im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Firstly, I did swap the back and front tires. I forgot to mention that on my list of things done along with many others. I am very suspect of my installation every time I work on cars. I will Probly buy a whole knuckle from the junkyard install it and check the difference. Maybe pull the rotor and hub if it feels better, or put my bearings/lower ball joint in the new knuckle Unfortunately I don't even have time to have it aligned till Sunday which means Sunday ill be back at it first thing swapping parts checking what I can putting the alignment/ wheel balance off till Monday if I haven't fixed it yet.

I'm gonna try to ignore it till Sunday.
                                I will report back Monday morning. Let's hope for good weather.

Comment

Working...
                                X