Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple quick questions before changing the ATF

Hey guys,

I'm just about to change the ATF on my 1991 Honda accord Ex-r 2.2L. I was just wondering if all I have to do is drain the fluid from a plug on the bottom of the tranny, put the plug back in and then add 2.5 quarts from the hole that the tranny dip stick comes out of? This is my fist automatic car and I just want to make sure I'm not messing anything up. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated as usual.

Thanks guys

Your dead on the drain is on the side at the bottom of the tranny you can open it with a 1/2 inch ratchet i believe and fill threw the dipstick whole at the top. Only use oem honda brand atf to protect the friction set in the trans and keep it shifting smooth. Add 2.5 quarts and check your level with the dipstick with the car on a level ground with the engine off add more if needed and your good to go

Comment

Originally posted by BoostThat7 View Post
      Your dead on the drain is on the side at the bottom of the tranny you can open it with a 1/2 inch ratchet i believe and fill threw the dipstick whole at the top. Only use oem honda brand atf to protect the friction set in the trans and keep it shifting smooth. Add 2.5 quarts and check your level with the dipstick with the car on a level ground with the engine off add more if needed and your good to go
      It has to be Honda fluid? I just took whatever they gave me down at the local parts store.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgensi View Post
        It has to be Honda fluid? I just took whatever they gave me down at the local parts store.
        Genuine Honda fluid is your best option to prevent damage or Abnormal wear/problems.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
          Genuine Honda fluid is your best option to prevent damage or Abnormal wear/problems.
          Hmm

Comment

Hmm
            Aftermarket fluids have been known to cause problems.
            Genuine fluid really isn't that much more.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Aftermarket fluids have been known to cause problems.
              Genuine fluid really isn't that much more.
              Ya I always here that certain car companies make fluids designed to absolute spec but I have always been a bit on the scheptical side. Just because my collective knowledge and experience haven't really proven either,

Comment

I have Castrol ATF made for Honda in my wife's 98 Civic and experiencing "0" issue.

Types of fluids and capacities are listed on here.
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...50&postcount=1
                Last edited by oyajicool; 08-09-2013, 07:50 AM.
                A&P-IA

Comment

Honda designs that fluid specifically for their transmissions and specifications. Other parts store brands are universal and don't work as well.

For an extra 2 bucks a quart, I would just get the Honda stuff. If you knew how much engineering goes behind designing those transmissions, you wouldn't risk it. There are so many clutches and moving parts within an automatic transmission, I would trust what Honda recommends.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I have my own reason using Castrol's fluid. And it is not the price or availability to me. I have posted my experience with DW-1 on a thread on this forum. So, I'll leave at that.
                    Last edited by oyajicool; 08-10-2013, 08:40 AM.
                    A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                      Honda designs that fluid specifically for their transmissions and specifications. Other parts store brands are universal and don't work as well.

For an extra 2 bucks a quart, I would just get the Honda stuff. If you knew how much engineering goes behind designing those transmissions, you wouldn't risk it. There are so many clutches and moving parts within an automatic transmission, I would trust what Honda recommends.

Ya I'm not sold on this at all. Is there any objective data available publicly to support this? I just used castrol and it worked like a charm. Hm..

Comment

Ya I'm not sold on this at all.
                        Were offering our advice, what you do with it is up to you.
                        Keep using the Castrol then, No-ones forcing you not to.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Were offering our advice, what you do with it is up to you.
                          Keep using the Castrol then, No-ones forcing you not to.
                          No it's not that I don't think they recommend it, it's just that every car company is always out to gouge your wallet.

Comment

It's just that every car company is always out to gouge your wallet.
                            I disagree.

Every form of company is out there to make money, Including Castrol.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

I disagree.

Every form of company is out there to make money, Including Castrol.
                              Ya

Comment

Working...
                              X